• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging similar threads?

LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the main page of the Reader forum (first 30 topics), I count 5 threads refering to this problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1185752?tstart=0

and I think that this abundance of parallel discussions is a waste ot time for everyone, and also a waste of bandwith.

In other (non-Adobe) forums I frequent, parallel threads are speedily merged by moderators. Is it possible that the Jive software allows such merging in this case?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mods can do this, but it takes a note to one to perform the task if they do not follow thread closely.  I have used PM in past, but not sure what "correct" method is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even know how to send a PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out after  exploration.  I 've received PMs but never sent any

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

Mods can do this, but it takes a note to one to perform the task if they do not follow thread closely.  I have used PM in past, but not sure what "correct" method is.

Curt, there is a small problem: the identities of moderators are a state secret in these forums. Plus, sending anyone a PM does not guarantee that it will ever be read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all know a few, and they frequently send a mis-directed question to the forum.  And yes, there is no guarantee the Mod will read or respond, or even agree with you.  Can only do your best and thats all there is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point; I hadn't realized that moving questions to different forums gives them away.

In any case, I like it better in those other forums where mods are all known, and leave one line messages explainig why they did what they did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

The correct method is to ignore it because you can't do anything sensible on these forums.  These are Adobe forums .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Is it possible that the Jive software allows such merging in this case?

No, to the best of my knowledge there is no such functionality.  It's easy to split (branch) a discussion, but I don't see how to merge topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

Is it possible that the Jive software allows such merging in this case?

No, to the best of my knowledge there is no such functionality.  It's easy to split (branch) a discussion, but I don't see how to merge topics.

Great. Yet one more example of how suitable for these forums the Jive software is. I have an uneasy feeling that most recent requests for small improvements seem to receive a "the Jive software doesn't have this functionality" reply. And I cannot help wondering how many large companies would accept a "the software doesn't allow this" as an answer to requests to modify things in their sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, there a blunt instrument available: ensure the last post in the donor thread has a link to the target thread, and then lock the donor thread. This works best if you catch it when the donor thread is young, of course.

And it is a heavy hammer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines