Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moderation and Thread Moving

Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expressed a concern about moving thread from the Forum Comments (this thread:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/2223352#2223352 ) to another area of the forums.  The link still resides in the Forum Comments list.  I suggested that IF such a move were going to be made, folks should be aware that they are being taken AWAY from the Forum Comments area.  I don't feel this is an unreasonable consideration.  Yet, my entire post was summarily deleted without any mention that I had even existed.

Will someone please tell me why alerting the viewer that they are going to another area of the forum is such a heinous crime as to be fully deleted without comment?

hopper

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 162 Replies 162
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Sure, a moderator could initiate a thread in the correct forum (assuming the correct forum may be ascertained based on the context of the question) but then the question would appear as if it were coming from the moderator and not the OP.

Cheers... Rick

RIck,

Firstly, a thread should NOT be moved UNLESS it can be ascertained which forum it belongs in.

Secondly, I said *copy* the thread, which means it would include the OPs original question.  Jochem already said to me, and I'll paraphrase here, "I would have said copied if that's what I had done" implying that he could copy a thread and not simply move it.

Besides, even if it did look like it was coming from the moderator, a simple statement that the thread was copied to the "correct" location would settle that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi Phillip

Your post confuses me for a few different reasons.

PjonesCET wrote:

Its not the folks here object so much to the moving. Its what happens by the move.  For expample I follow all the new threads in this group and in Acrobat.

If your only interest is in Forum Comments and Acrobat, why are you replying to the post if it's not one that belongs here? And in one of the cases where you were complaining about ending up in a different forum it was quite obvious that the thread had been moved, as comments were in the thread to indicate so. So your real complaint with that occurrence was that you didn't want to take the time to read the thread.

inserted comment here: No I wanted to read the original thread, but once its moved I have no interest or desire to follow it once its moved.

PjonesCET wrote:

But doing that as soon as I click on the email notification, "BOOM!" I am in Photoshop, or some other Forum I have no interest in and by doing so I am now subscribed to a Forum I don't want to be in . Now I have unsubscribe from the thread in the new forum and the new forum I've been dumped in

That one is odd to me for a couple of reasons. If you have no interest in what goes on in the forum the thread was moved to, you obviously have no interest in or are unable to help with the question. So why are you replying? I know that many will point their fingers and say it's just buggy Jive software, but personally, I watch threads here and in many other forums too. If I participate in a thread that gets moved to a forum I'm not subscribed to, I only have to unsubscribe once. Just from the thread. I'm not automagickally subscribed to the entire forum as a result.

inserted comment here: I want to post only to guide the person to the proper Forum, or give an answer (like we "all" use to do in the old webx Forums. After I  have done so then I now longer have desire to follow. A lot of times new people come in and "Highjack" a thread, in that case I want to follow the original thread. If the thread happens to be something associated with Acrobat or perhaps even DreamWeaver (products I own) I may wish to. But if there was a Lik to move to that thread rather automatically moved, I would have the option to follow the topic.

My experience mirrors those of my fellow Community Expert Curt Wrigley. When I move threads in the forums I monitor, I've yet to see any complaints from anyone. But in perhaps 90% of the cases, a post back with a sincere thanks has occurred. In the other 10%, I've heard nothing. Now some here may argue that doesn't mean those 10% were unhappy. I would respectfully disagree. Why? Because it's not typical human nature to report on how good something is unless it's REALLY good! The typical human nature is to definitely provide feedback if you are unhappy. So my view on this is that if those 10% were unhappy about the move occurring, they DEFINITELY would have posted back to advise they didn't like the action.

inserted comment here: I have no objections to the moving of threads. Its's what happens after the thread is moved. I end up being subscribe to a furm and thread I have no desire to go to. I then have to Unsubscribe from thread and forum.

Since observing all of this drama about moving threads and how some here totally disagree with the practice, I've been conducting my own little informal survey of average folks I encounter. These folks don't participate in forums much but do understand what they are and how to use them. I've yet to find someone that agrees with what some would feel is general consensus here. That moving posts is a bad thing. Please note that I also list the "down" side of the post lingering in two places for a period of time. Everyone I've asked so far has also indicated that if they were new to a forum, they would have no idea they could turn off E-Mail subscriptions until after they started receiving them.

Cheers all... Rick

See instered comments above. Also GreeJumpy said it best. Move it  but put a link in the post notifying the post will continue her and give everyone the option to follow to the new forum. Because as soon as you go to that forum you are automatically subscribe to the Forum and thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

So you are saying that if you reply to a thread that has been moved, you begin receiving gobs and gobs of E-Mail for ALL posts that happen to appear in the forum after a post is moved? If so, that's not what happens to me. I only receive E-Mail from the single thread as others reply to it. If that's happening to you it may be a bug in the forum software or something.

Now if all you receive are replies to the message, that seems perfectly normal. Any message you choose to reply to you are automatically subscribed to unless you have configured otherwise. So in this case, if the thread is moved to a high traffic forum that sees perhaps 200 or more posts each day, you don't get 200+ additional E-Mail messages. You only get messages for that single thread.

I think in your case you are simply confused. A thread was moved and you suddenly began seeing messages that appeared to be coming from a different forum. It wasn't the forum you were subscribed to, so there was no need to unsubscribe to the forum. That was wasted effort. You only needed to unsubscribe from the thread.

Again, it seems such a trivial task to glance at the breadcrumb trail to see where a thread is before you choose to reply. Especially if you know the thread is asking a question that doesn't seem to fit where you believed it was to begin with.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems such a trivial task to glance at the breadcrumb trail

Not for the poor lost souls that have entered these disastrous forums for the first time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

John Joslin wrote:

Not for the poor lost souls that have entered these disastrous forums for the first time!

The statement wasn't aimed at that audience. It was instead aimed at those that frequent the forums in attempts to help. Those that have participated for a long while, are familiar and should have a clue how the forums work. If a person is here for the first time, they are likely here to ask the question to begin with.

I know that many of the long timers disagree that what we have now is an improvement on what was before. That's fine and everyone is entitled to their own opinion on that. Personally, I like what we have. Do I think it's perfect? No, show me software that is and I'll show you lots of vaporware.

In the fora I mostly work in, I've yet to see any real complaints about the Jive software other than an occasional blurb about Search not being the best. And we all agree it could stand improving. Other than that, I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone in them that would say they are disastrous.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi Phillip

So you are saying that if you reply to a thread that has been moved, you begin receiving gobs and gobs of E-Mail for ALL posts that happen to appear in the forum after a post is moved? If so, that's not what happens to me. I only receive E-Mail from the single thread as others reply to it. If that's happening to you it may be a bug in the forum software or something.

Comment inserted here: Yes that is what I am saying,  doesn't matter if I go to thread by the email notification or go directlt by web browser. Apllies in Safari, OmniWeb, Opera, iCab, SeaMonkey, or FireFox.

Now if all you receive are replies to the message, that seems perfectly normal. Any message you choose to reply to you are automatically subscribed to unless you have configured otherwise. So in this case, if the thread is moved to a high traffic forum that sees perhaps 200 or more posts each day, you don't get 200+ additional E-Mail messages. You only get messages for that single thread.

Comment inserted here:While maybe not 200 or more, it is more than just the thread that was moved. And I do have to go back up top in "your stuff" and turn off subscriptions to the newly subscribed  Forum.

I think in your case you are simply confused. A thread was moved and you suddenly began seeing messages that appeared to be coming from a different forum. It wasn't the forum you were subscribed to, so there was no need to unsubscribe to the forum. That was wasted effort. You only needed to unsubscribe from the thread.

Again, it seems such a trivial task to glance at the breadcrumb trail to see where a thread is before you choose to reply. Especially if you know the thread is asking a question that doesn't seem to fit where you believed it was to begin with.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Wrigley wrote:

I dont agree that a new PM is not obvious.  I think your menu turning orange is rather obvious.  The responses from OPs who's threads I move confirm that.

It's not obvious to me because I don't even use that menu, at all.  And I'm sure many (at least some) would agree with me because I've heard others make the same comment.  I think I may have used it once.. to access my profile or something, but I never, ever really look up there because I use the 'actions' panel on the side.

The menu is too slow and pointless... why would we want to click 3+ times just to post a new message?  Not to mention, once you go into that menu it seems impossible to get it to hide again--thanks Jive.  Unlike the Jiveware design team, most people would rather just click once and be done with it.

Just another Jiveism.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

But also, I think you're wrong.  I remember new users other than the regulars here saying how they were confused by the actions of mods.  I'm sure I put up an "I told you so" but I'm also sure it would have been deleted or ignored..

This assumption is incorrect.   Most users whos posts I move to the correct forum are thankful.   It is a helpful service and the majority of users agree. The opinion of 5 "regulars" in this forum harldy is representative of the fora in general.

If mods didnt move off topic posts to correct forums, this place would be littered with posts in the wrong forums.   Its standard operating procedure in any busy forum Ive ever seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if someone has counted how many messages such as this 2. have been posted... To my ignorant and naive eyes, they would seem to show that the old and well tried way of politely redirecting a lost poster works. Besides being simpler, easier and quite a lot less confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stuck thread

Maybe not, but it is showing 2 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

46 of 51 messages showing. They were being quicker in hiding their deletions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or I am slowing down......

Claudio González wrote:

46 of 51 messages showing. They were being quicker in hiding their deletions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote on 9/3/2009 5:10 PM:

Erm, don't the humble users have a say?

This forum is full of people who have lots to say. Unfortunately not a

lot of what is being said is very effective in conveying arguments to

the necessity / benefits / desirability of changing moderation practice.

It appears we really are in a dictatorship here.

Was there ever any doubt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

John Joslin wrote on 9/3/2009 5:10 PM:

Erm, don't the humble users have a say?

This forum is full of people who have lots to say. Unfortunately not a

lot of what is being said is very effective in conveying arguments to

the necessity / benefits / desirability of changing moderation practice.

It appears we really are in a dictatorship here.

Was there ever any doubt?

A customer is the most important visitor on our premises, he is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.
Mahatma Gandhi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

greenjumpyone wrote on 9/3/2009 4:17 PM:

Then why are you NOT telling folks they are going to another area of the forum?

"I split your message off to the correct forum" is telling people the

message went to a new forum. Or do you mean it should have mentioned

which area?

Yes, of course that is what I am saying!

jochemd wrote:

This is not telling folks where they went.  I thought it was still in the Forum Comments area.  I am not an idiot.  I can find my way around boards, but can you truthfully say that you did not cause confusion with is move of yours?  For all I knew, you had moved the thread to another location, AND had left it in the forum comments.

Then I would have written "copied".

Maybe copied is what you should have done.  All you succeeded in doing was confusing people.

jochemd wrote:

If you have suggestions for another text shoot.

how about you put something in the link stating the thread is going to take you out of the current area

jochemd wrote:

What is right is not some objective, moral truth (if morals could ever

be objective). What is right is determined by a consensus of hosts /

moderators / experts / forum related employees.

so, you convened a group of moderators/hosts/experts/forum related employees and found that my post was offensive and off topic enough to simply delete it?  Puh-lease.

jochemd wrote:

The only place appropriate for discussing moderation issues is in

dedicated threads in the Forum comments forum. Not in other forums, not

in threads about other problems.

and where, EXACTLY, is that thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a subordinate of mine treated customers like that, I know what I would do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote on 9/3/2009 5:14 PM:

jochemd wrote:

If you have suggestions for another text shoot.
how about you put something in the link stating the thread is going to take you out of the current area

In which link exactly? If you mean the thread title that won't work  because the text there is the same in every place that links to the  thread, including the new location of the thread. If you mean in the  message itself that won't actually be true because by the time you read  it, you are already in the new location.

so, you convened a group of moderators/hosts/experts/forum related employees and found that my post was offensive and off topic enough to simply delete it?

No. Policy comes from Adobe, practice comes from consensus, execution  from individual moderators.

The only place appropriate for discussing moderation issues is in  dedicated threads in the Forum comments forum. Not in other forums, not  in threads about other problems.
and where, EXACTLY, is that thread?

This one for instance. Or when you have another question about, or wish  to discuss another aspect of moderation start a new one.

Message was edited by: Jochem van Dieten to insert the text that disappeared due to the bug at line 35 of Message.java.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robo,

don't insult my intelligence.  I have been around this forum for longer than you know and certainly much longer than my current profile shows.  I *do* know how to navigate a forum.  Clearly I did figure out I was somewhere other than the original forum I posted in.  gads,  you guys are treating me like I'm an idiot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

Robo,

don't insult my intelligence.  I have been around this forum for longer than you know and certainly much longer than my current profile shows.  I *do* know how to navigate a forum.  Clearly I did figure out I was somewhere other than the original forum I posted in.  gads,  you guys are treating me like I'm an idiot!

Then don't post as if you are!

Your post implied that you clicked a link to the thread and had no clue you were anywhere other than the forum comments forum and you were oh so confused by that sudden change.

I suppose your purpose of writing it that way was an attempt to illustrate what you are imagining a lost user must feel?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, you have no idea how well I am measuing my words here.  omg.

You don't know me and what I posted was what I meant.  I was in forum comments, I clicked on a thread, I posted in the thread and it wasn't until I went to follow the breadcrumb trail that I realized I was no longer in the forum comments area.  So, I posted IN THAT THREAD, which is the RIGHT THREAD to ask, how did I end up in a different area?

I am not stupid and was fully capable of navigating myself back to the forum comments.  My entire point, which you guys are acting too thick-headed to understand, is that for any user, but especially a NEW user, taking them out of one forum and into another, without being very clear that they were leaving their first area,  is CONFUSING!

I don't know why you can't/won't understand that???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug that happens when threads are moved. The server clusters don't correctly sync up and some (not all) users will still see a moved thread in the original forum. This should fix itself after a while and the leftover thread reference will disappear from the original forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug that happens when threads are moved.

Seems to be a good argument not to move them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

You don't know me and what I posted was what I meant.  I was in forum comments, I clicked on a thread, I posted in the thread and it wasn't until I went to follow the breadcrumb trail that I realized I was no longer in the forum comments area.  So, I posted IN THAT THREAD, which is the RIGHT THREAD to ask, how did I end up in a different area?

That's interesting. I can't remember deleting any message from anybody who was trying to help the OP, I only deleted every meta post about moderation. And the database record shows your first post in that thread was created at 02:41:08+02. The modification date for that message is 02:41:08+02 as well, so that message was not updated and still has its original conent. Yet the body of that message is "now, *that's* weird!  I clicked on a link in the forum comments" etc. So what the database record shows is that you never posted in that thread to help the OP with his problem but your first post in that thread was to ask why you ended up there (after the usual suspects added their usual comments).

Perhaps you should repost your attempt to help the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboCop, Van Delete'm, or someone is randomly deleting posts again... big brother is watching (and censoring) us!

"You and a few others are making assumptions on the affected users' behalf." -- This is funny stuff because you mods are doing the same exact thing, except you're not acting as users anymore, so you're even more detached.  Let's look at this another way: the only feedback you've recieved so far regarding the movement of threads has been negative.  So what does that tell us?

By all possible indicators here, the "assumption" that moving threads is a stupid idea is the only logical conclusion.

Obey the forum thought police.  Violators will be locked, deleted and banned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have moved one and maybe two threads, but I leave that to Jochem as he is doing a fine job here. I've never personally deleted a thread in this forum. Nor have I ever censored or locked a thread. I don't consider this forum one of mine to freely moderate. I watch and participate though.

I did, however make the HUGE mistake of temporarily parking a thread here once. Only to be blasted by several for doing so. Given the reaction to that, I cannot imagine how unwelcome someone new feels when everyone piles on to point out they are in the wrong place and telling them how they screwed up and to go to the right place and ask type their question again.

That's why I personally feel it's kinder to the poster to simply move a thread to where it really belongs. They have already asked the question. It's there and just waiting for an answer. So what if it ends up in the wrong place? Advise them of the issue, advise them the thread is being moved and move it to where it may get them the help they came to find.

It seems from the general reaction of a few here that you feel it's a better approach to stand them up, point out their error and make them feel unwelcome and point out how badly they screwed up. I simply disagree with that approach.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines