• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Navigating these fora

Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that there is no more NNTP access to Adobe fora, I'm trying to find out how to navigate this tangled web. In my newsreader, I subscribed to a number of newsgroups - photoshop.elements.tips.tricks, indesign.windows, indesign.scripting, bridge.windows and reader. A single click downloaded all new messages in all of these and I could instantly see how many new posts there were in each.

The only way I can find to get from one to another at this site is by going Home and then scrolling through a list of about 550 unsorted forum names to get to the one I want. I can't find indesign.windows anywhere. Can I not at least make a selection of 'favourites' somewhere? There must be a better way - can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ildhund wrote:

Now that there is no more NNTP access to Adobe fora, I'm trying to find out how to navigate this tangled web. In my newsreader, I subscribed to a number of newsgroups - photoshop.elements.tips.tricks, indesign.windows, indesign.scripting, bridge.windows and reader. A single click downloaded all new messages in all of these and I could instantly see how many new posts there were in each.

The only way I can find to get from one to another at this site is by going Home and then scrolling through a list of about 550 unsorted forum names to get to the one I want. I can't find indesign.windows anywhere. Can I not at least make a selection of 'favourites' somewhere? There must be a better way - can anyone help?

Hi, the returns are not all in as far as the best way to navigate in a browser when you follow many forums. I expect I'll end up setting up a set of bookmarks for the ones I watch. I also started a gmail account just for the forums, which worked well until they added a numbering system to the subject line in emails, and broke the way gmail groups them. Sigh.

Anyway, lots of people asking and answering in the comments forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dorothy. What's the difference between 'Comments' and 'Discussions' and when should I use the one and when the other? It looks like the History tab might be a place to look for favourite forums [clearly the preferred plural around here].

Why does my selected font seem to change when I hit Enter? Just now it's called Font family - a moment ago it was Arial, but it looks like Tahoma. Weird.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ildhund wrote:

Thanks, Dorothy. What's the difference between 'Comments' and 'Discussions' and when should I use the one and when the other? It looks like the History tab might be a place to look for favourite forums [clearly the preferred plural around here].

Why does my selected font seem to change when I hit Enter? Just now it's called Font family - a moment ago it was Arial, but it looks like Tahoma. Weird.

Noel

The comments forum is for comments about the forums. The word discussions is used to point to the topic list for any forum. discussions=topics No idea what might be going on with fonts?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The comments forum is for comments about the forums. The word discussions is used to point to the topic list for any forum.

What I meant was you directed me to 'Forum Comments' to find discussions about the forums. There must be some reason why there is one forum called 'Forum Comments' and another one called 'New Forums Discussions', and I wondered what the difference was. The stuff in each looks as if it could just as well have been in the other...

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ildhund wrote:

>The comments forum is for comments about the forums. The word discussions is used to point to the topic list for any forum.

What I meant was you directed me to 'Forum Comments' to find discussions about the forums. There must be some reason why there is one forum called 'Forum Comments' and another one called 'New Forums Discussions', and I wondered what the difference was. The stuff in each looks as if it could just as well have been in the other...

Noel

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood you. The comments forum is the old comments forum from the traditional Adobe forums. The New Forums Discussions is/was a subforum within that one for when we were first setting up the new software and taking it for a test drive. The topics within it are related to the preview of the forum software that officially opened today. Clear as mud??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There used to be two different forums. They have been merged into one now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The comments forum is the old comments forum from the traditional Adobe

forums. The New Forums Discussions is/was a subforum within that one for

when we were first setting up the new software and taking it for a test

drive. The topics within it are related to the preview of the forum software

that officially opened today. Clear as mud??

Yep. So I suppose the New Forums thing ought to be retired and people with

something on their mind should come here. It's just that I've seen old hands

directing posters with gripes or questions about forum functionality to New

Forums Discussions.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had to check something John said earlier (not that I doubt him but... ) He said that the old comments forum (WebX) had been combined with the New forum discussion forum. Yep... under the general tab there is just this comments forum (plus the Adobe.com Feedback one, which was from the fusetalk forums). So I'm guessing the threads are all interlaced... which would understandably cause confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try a standalone RSS reader, like Feedreader, and then subscribe to the Forums that you want to follow. It's sort of like using a newsreader. With Feedreader's built in browser, you can even reply to messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the Adobe Forums (topmost) page, switch to the My View tab. There's a little "(personalize)" link on it. You can drop in your own views from the eight or so shown. I put an HTML view on the very top and typed up a set of links to the forums I want to follow. e.g. for this forum:

<a href="http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments" style="color:#c00;">Forum Comments</a>

The main page listing is funny. There are sections, the first which is expanded and has icons. There is also right there a drop-down menu which has a fuller listing, but is a pain to dig through. This full list of all forums is available as a drag-and-drop view like I mentioned the HTML view above. But again, too much and I didn't see a way to be selective with it, so I typed up my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines