• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Forum Look

Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long time (3 years, anyhow) user of the Lightroom UtoU forum, I am liking the new look. Much better tahn the last try at a 'new look'! Only thibg missing that I have seen so far is a way to provide a 'Signature' to be appplied to each post I make.

Don

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you begging to be given a virtual b¡tch-slapping, or is this how you always actwhen you're not happy with the way things are, just for gits and shiggles, or can you really not figure out how to cease this posting behavior problem that you—and only you—seem to be having?

If you really can't make that auto-posting stop, email John C. and ask him for help.

Please, just do it for the sake of the sanity of ALL of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:24:05AM -0600, David Powers wrote: > S.D.A., > >

A new message was posted in the thread "New Forum Look": > >

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1869445#1869445

Author : David Powers >

Profile : http://forums.adobe.com/people/David_Powers > > Message:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email and NNTP are very, very similar. Similar enough that I already have an email-to-NNTP bridge ready. I am just waiting for the moment that Adobe fixes the bugs in the email system because that will automatically fix the issues in my private NNTP system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing see disappointing is in the the threading of the email notifications.

In old system comments made to same thread were Thread.

In this new style each notification is individual even if the same subject.

This is a major reason I stopped going to apple forums because everythread was shown as anindividual email rather than threads grouped together.

I guess I can live with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

The only thing see disappointing is in the the threading of the email notifications.

In old system comments made to same thread were Thread.

In this new style each notification is individual even if the same subject.

This is a major reason I stopped going to apple forums because everythread was shown as anindividual email rather than threads grouped together.

I guess I can live with it.

That's one thing that was working, then got broke when they added the number at the end of the subject line. Now at least gmail no longer sees it as being part of the same thread.   Further tweaking will no doubt happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I updated my Stylish thingy for FireFox to point to the right forum domain.

Wide-screen again!

(Er, although I think you were looking for a 10.5 Safari-only solution. Still don't know how to do that yet...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is bad. this is very very bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

this is bad. this is very very bad.

Explain thy self! What's is bad about the new forums? Merely complaining helps no one!

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not mearly complaining. they look like shiete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can live with the new forums. I am so glad that John tweaked the linespacing, which was way too tight in the earlier messages of the beta. I have set the forums to thread, which I kinda like, although it might make it hard to follow new messages. It also gets to rather small widths when reply indents get over eight or so. That might be a good thing, as it will allow me to ignore messages bickering back and forth at each other. It is nice to be able to reply to a thread a couple days back, and have it follow that message immediately (although I know people viewing in non-threaded will still see it at the end of the list).

Let's give the thing a few weeks to shake out before declaring it to be crap. It is different, but we will be able to get used to it, I think. At least it is not as bad as the MM side was. Perhaps that is where most of the kudos are coming from.

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least it is not as bad as the MM side was. Perhaps that is where most of the kudos are coming from.

You hit the nail on the head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D. McCahill wrote:

Let's give the thing a few weeks to shake out before declaring it to be crap. It is different, but we will be able to get used to it, I think. At least it is not as bad as the MM side was.

agreed.

but i still think it looks like shiete compared to the nice clean professional look we had!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but i still think it looks like shiete compared to the nice clean professional look we had!

I agree with you Dave. It is not very pleasant to be here really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the kindergarten look. lets dumb everything down and have pretty pictures or the pros won't want to come here.

This is the standard ugly forum look. this is why I neve go to the Apple forums much they are ugly and annoying to use much like this one is now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything annoying with the new system other than the unnecessary  seraila numbers at the end of email notifications which kills any subject threading in  email notifications cause each to tried as a unque subject  when they are not. That what killed my participation in Apple forums. Not I only subscribe to questions I ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

Meh. I hated the old forums quite a bit. I much prefer the look & feel of this new site, though I agree there are bugs to be worked out. I found the forums exceptionally difficult to read and a pain to navigate. I'm already a hell of a lot happier with the way this site works.

The 'More Like This' is something I'd turn off since I'd never use. I believe the question thing is meant to highlight users who provide useful feedback; I suspect the creator of a thread has the option to mark a response as 'answered the question' or 'helpful' and dole out points that way. I'm just guessing though, since I've never created a thread -- I just try to answer questions on the AI SDK forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. thread starter gets to dole out points. I'm handing them out at random because I think it's a silly system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well these are worse in those two areas

--

-thanx buko

http://www.buko.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, no signatures.

Now using Affinity Photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new forum look is gosh-darned awful. 

It took several scripts and Adblock Plus to tame it a bit: force full-width forum page to waste less space, nuke all avatars, kill the utterly useless "More Like This" box, obliterate the "Top Participants" box, delete the "Staus" icon under each poster's name, hide "labels" and "badges", etc.  Now I see none of that cr@p!  

Now some misguided, lost soul wants "signatures" ??? !!!  No way!  we went over this many times already: do not allow signatures, please! Ban anyone who uses them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some situations a Signature that lists important background info can be helpful ( in some subforums) to those answering questions, especially where systems and or equipment (Camera, for Lightroom forums). That doesn't mean all posts need such signatures or that all sub forums do.

.A  handy alterative for those asking for Signatures, for the reasons alluded to above) is to have a multi-clipboard function and have a saved equipment list that one can paste in a post as needed. The Labs had Signatures, but the older UtoU forums like PSCS and LR ones did not.

I can understand the call for no Signatures and some of the other clean-up requests (no Avatars and the like), but others are quite use to these coming from V-bulletin forums.

My 2¢,

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And ban anyone that wants to use multiple fonts, styles, type and color! (Ooops, bye)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ramón,

>It took several scripts and Adblock Plus to tame it a bit: force full-width forum page to waste less space, nuke all avatars, kill the utterly useless "More Like This" box, obliterate the "Top Participants" box, delete the "Staus" icon under each poster's name, hide "labels" and "badges", etc.

I came here to moan about the waste of space and the ludicrous type sizes, so I liked the look you get (as shown in the screenshot in a later post). Could you elaborate on how you achieved that?

Thanks,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty obvious that these fora are built for short threads.

I mean, who the heck is going to remember what page they were on when they visited a long thread the last time or what post they were at.

Not me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

It's pretty obvious that these fora are built for short threads.

I mean, who the heck is going to remember what page they were on when they visited a long thread the last time or what post they were at.

Not me.

Again, I think that depends, again on which forums you were on previously, Forums.Adobe, or Lab.Forums (former Macromedia ones). The Lightroom Forums had some  very long theads! So not much of a change, here.

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines