• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Forum Look

Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long time (3 years, anyhow) user of the Lightroom UtoU forum, I am liking the new look. Much better tahn the last try at a 'new look'! Only thibg missing that I have seen so far is a way to provide a 'Signature' to be appplied to each post I make.

Don

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DonRicklin wrote:

Again, I think that depends, again on which forums you were on previously, Forums.Adobe, or Lab.Forums (former Macromedia ones). The Lightroom Forums had some  very long theads! So not much of a change, here.

Don

Precisely why I avoided those forums over the years. I basically just went elsewhere to get my information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot stand the fact I cannot tell where I left off in a thread!!! That part is awful! And I am not into email. I get enough of that. I like to be able to go to a forum and catch up where I left off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy- wrote:

I cannot stand the fact I cannot tell where I left off in a thread!!! That part is awful! And I am not into email. I get enough of that. I like to be able to go to a forum and catch up where I left off.

Ditto.  And the slowness in posting is nothing short of pathetic.

Combine these two factors with the lack of breadcrumbs at the bottom and the forum is just as bad as when the old forums timed out: unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot stand the fact I cannot tell where I left off in a thread!!! That part is awful!

agreed. maybe for someone popping in, asking a question, getting it answered then not coming back for a month or 2 becuase they have another question, it's not so bad. but for those of us that are here every day (or adobe expects to be here every day) it makes following threads very difficult. i forsee many posts getting lost or unanswered becuase you simply miss them when scrolling and clicking around looking for where you left off in the thread.

a niggle: this input box i'm typing in is WAY too wide. I can view the forum list large enough so that the right hand column is off in scroll world to the right (actions, top participants, more like this etc) -  showing me a view of JUST the topic list area -  but when i go to answer a post the box for actual input is then scrolled way off the screen.

imo, usability-wise, the input box should be no wider than the maximium width of the forum's topic list, MINUS the area used for that far right column.

dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually, viewing the thread contnts, the width of the topics IN the thread is already the same width as the topic list area. it's when the user enters "input" mode that the right hand column goes away and suddenly the relevant area of the screen goes all the way across.

please shrink down the input box to be the same width as the topic list AND the same width as the posts within a thread. it's a PITA to go from one fixed width where you have it sized nicely on your screen to something that's completely different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

please shrink down the input box to be…

…resizable, and make it so the user's chosen size (both width and height) is sticky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

dave milbut wrote:

please shrink down the input box to be…

…resizable, and make it so the user's chosen size (both width and height) is sticky.

it doesn't have to be "resizable" per se, and maybe it shouldn't at all. too many ways for a user to mess that up... but it SHOULD match the rest of the columns in the different views of the forum (topic list view, post list inside thread view, edit view).

just because you're not showing those right hand columns in edit view, doesn't mean you should FILL that view with the edit box. the edit box should take up no more and no less space than the same area in the topic list view and the post list view. it's very impolite to make people scroll back and forth...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John mentioned during the preview that the comment box size is supposed to be sticky but it isn't.  So, I expect its on the bug list.

(you can resize the height, but it doesn't stick)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh yea, i see that now. well at least i'm not the only one that this annoys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a threaded tree view? That would help find where we left off the last time we visited, plus it shows to which post the replies are addressed.

I also agree with most of comments about too much wasted space.

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al Ferrari wrote:

How about a threaded tree view?

Oy!  Al,  that's already available in your forum Preferences.  But I doubt you've actually seen it live, or you wouldn't be asking for it.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm one of those NNTP people. I've been reading posts now using Thunderbird, but because of the unique identifier number on the end of every post, nothing threads. Even worse, because of the unique identifier, the "Re" gets considered when sorting alphabetically. So I end up with a long line of posts at the top, every one of them a new post, and a much longer line of replies below that. At least the replies are grouped, although the identifiers aren't assigned in ascending alphanumeric order, so they groups themselves are not ordered.

The result is that I end up reading replies before original posts, or I end up reading all the original posts before I get to the replies. Even so, the web interface is much slower, all that clicking.

Moving the unique identifier into the body of the post would make the email version much more palatable. Does anyone know where the official complaint/suggestion box is?

Kenneth C. Benson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kenneth C. Benson wrote:

Does anyone know where the official complaint/suggestion box is?

There isn't one—other than threads like this in this section of the forums.

Draw your own conclusion.  Here's mine:  our opinion is irrelevant.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if this is it, then here are my other complaints.

1) Posting by email doesn't like certain characters. I posted something today with some underscores in it (____). It got cut off before the underscores. Underscore seems pretty benign. I wonder what else it doesn't like.

2) Posting by email doesn't show me my own posts. (So I didn't know about the underscore thing until I happened to look on the web version.)

3) Posting by email doesn't always post. I posted something earlier this afternoon that never showed up. So I reposted it on the web version.

These three, along with the unique identifier in each email, make the email version pretty difficult to use.

Does anyone know where the post count comes from? I've been posting here for years. I don't know my total number of posts, but it's a whole lot more than 16.

Kenneth Benson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw your own conclusion.  Here's mine:  our opinion is irrelevant.  

I think that fact was made abundantly clear by the sheer number of reglars saying "NOOOOOO" to the new look, but Adobe went ahead and mucked up the best forum on the planet anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that fact was made abundantly clear by the sheer number of reglars saying "NOOOOOO" to the new look, but Adobe went ahead and mucked up the best forum on the planet anyway.

I think they just figure that people will eventually get tired of complaining and it will all just go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get REALLY sick and tired of scrolling through countless lines of wasted space and many pages just to browse a thread!  The amount of fluff in this new format is appalling.  Period.

I have the sinking feeling that we are stuck with this mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob_Peters wrote:

I have the sinking feeling that we are stuck with this mess.

you never know. that's what we dreaded last time, and as it became clear that the people who answered the most posts couldn't or wouldn't because of the mess, the webx system was rolled back into place. i guess time will tell. and this forum IS better than the last upgrade try, but not by very much. i know my production is way way down. i've answered maybe 5 or 6 threads in the ps win forum since monday. i would normally be on 20 or 30 by wednesday... it's really REALLY difficult slogging through the slop and the mess and an EFFORT to actually read and reply to posts. if that doesn't change, there's going to be a real problem.

a trend? hmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing I would suggest is putting a "return to forum list" link at the bottom of the page, so you do not need to scroll to the top to go back to list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photo printer wrote:

Only thing I would suggest is putting a "return to forum list" link at the bottom of the page, so you do not need to scroll to the top to go back to list.

If you can put a "return to forum list" link at the bottom of the page you can add bread crumbs which would be more helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines