• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Older messages from Inbox getting deleted or removed. Why?

Advocate ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi experts,

I am member of forum since 2017.

I am experiencing problem with my inbox.

I can see messages from upto last six months only.

Older than those messages are automatically getting disppeared or deleted without my action onto them.

Why is that?

Is there anyway to prevent them from getting disappear or deleted & can I get my older messages?

Thanks in advance

Sunil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil,

Some time ago, looking for an older message, I noticed the same.

There was a fundamental forum change in 2009, and Private Messages (PMs) were introduced; they were kept all the way back but with a limit to the amount of space used, so I and maybe others took the time to weed out less important ones, thereby building and upholding a trimmed collection of important PMs.

A few years back, the Private Messages were replaced by a new version just called Messages; all the hitherto PMs disappeared at the replacement, and unfortunately at least I found no way to download them and keep them.

I have tried to raise your questions to a group of knowledgeable friends, and I hope that one of them can give you an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from copy/paste I found no way to keep private messages outside of the fora.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil, Lucien,

When needed, I have saved web pages as Web Page, complete (RightClick followed by Save Page As) or as PDF (Ctrl/Cmd+P followed by the choice of Acrobat (or similar) for printing as PDF.

Obviously, it would be better to have the live Messages; I have never saved any; I considered it at the replacement mentioned, but the structure and sheer amount of PMs were prohibitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob Bugge ,

It would be much easier if we get to delete some thread which we don't need it for "limit to the amount of space" sake.

It would be very helpful.

Waste threads are still there but important one's are terminated

Thanks

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil,

Before the (Private) Message change, it was possible to delete Private Messages to make room, but I am afraid that the space limit has been replaced by a simple deletion of Messages more than 6 months old; they simply reach the edge and fall into the abyss.

Something similar was the case with threads before the forum change in 2009: threads were archived and thereby doomed after a certain time with no new posts so no new posts could be added, and then they fell into the abyss after an additional time. I realized that in 2004 after looking in vain for some important threads I had taken part in with no posts after 2002 (some thread were long running in those days); and that made me start building an archive using Web Page, complete (which amounted to thousands), and I also tried to keep (some of) the most important threads alive by reposting in them every one years and a half or so.

I am afraid that another change is needed; it would be nice to have unlimited (at least in time) keeping (and in case of limited space the option of deleting).

We live in hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Sunil,

Thanks for the answer it would be helpful to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil,

Another forum friend has just suggested the possibility that Messages can be kept indefinitely if they are marked Unread (you can do it at the top when you open them).

Whether it is possible, and whether you have to mark them Unread after each viewing, may only be determined by trying/researching.

So far, I have two Messages from (about) 6 months ago marked as Unread, and I shall be waiting to see whether they show up as 7 months ago, then try opening both and leaving one of them as Read.

You may also try, as may others, so we can establish whether there is a roundabout way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also waiting for your unread messages to be deleted.

If you see them 7 months ago n still not deleted, that means that trick as done the work

Thanks

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil,

Unfortunately, now I only have 1 Message left from 6 months ago, none from 7 months ago, so the older one has fallen into the abyss.

And only 1 Unread Message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Sunil.

Now the other one is gone, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines