Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT - Claudio González

Feb 27, 2010 Feb 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone  heard from Claudio since the earthquake?  I know he is not in Concepcion, but he is close enough.  I pray all is well with Claudio, his family and friends.

very concerned,

Hopper

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 28, 2010 Feb 28, 2010

To all my dear good friends abroad who have worried about me these days,

I had thought yesterday of opening a thread saying that all was well with us, but then I thought it wasn't really proper to do so, and I did nothing. This thread, opened by our good Hopper, gives me the oportunity to write a few lines about what happened here.

This was the second largest eartquake in the history of Chile, and it was peculiar in many ways. First, it was very long. This, and the fact that it came at about 3:35

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 27, 2010 Feb 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was thinking of him today as well. praying for him and his family!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 28, 2010 Feb 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thoughts and prayers from England, too. Claudio, please give us a sign of life ASP...

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all my dear good friends abroad who have worried about me these days,

I had thought yesterday of opening a thread saying that all was well with us, but then I thought it wasn't really proper to do so, and I did nothing. This thread, opened by our good Hopper, gives me the oportunity to write a few lines about what happened here.

This was the second largest eartquake in the history of Chile, and it was peculiar in many ways. First, it was very long. This, and the fact that it came at about 3:35 in the morning with an almost instantaneous cut off all electric power, made it all the more frightening. It was a relief when I could get hold of an electric torch I always keep in my bedside table to see that, excepting for a few books that had fallen from shelves, nothing at all had happened in our one story house, and there were no signs of destruction in our block. And then came the excruciating hours trying to get in contact with our closest relatives, including our son who is at a seventh floor (no harm at all either, which we only found at about 7 am) through totally saturated and collapsed telephone lines, both line and mobile. Fortunatelly, all is well with all of my relatives and closest friends.

The second peculiarity of this quake was the really very large area severely affected by it, and the degree of destruction it carried, all of which we could only begin gauging properly at about 9-10 am when TV channels started transmitting again. And then, in spite of this destruction, the number of casualties was extremely low, a little over 200 people dead according to the last official report on last night, which is almost unbelievable for all the houses and buildings that went down.

We have had very many replicas, perhaps the strongest one right now when I'm writing this, but they are just short "temblores", a different word we use to name simple movements without any consequence -we call "terremotos" the really strong ones that get us in the media of the whole world. So, unless we have a second terremoto (an unlikely probability according to the experts), things were not so bad. Freely translating from what my mother used to tell us when I was a child, nothing that can be healed with money is really important.

Thank you all for caring, for your prayers which no doubt helped us, and for being such good friends.

Claudio.

Addition: I should have said the second strongest earthquake...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Claudio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola Claudio! que bueno que estés bien... te escribí un correo a la dirección de gonza, abri el correo hoy y me dijo que el mensaje había sido retrasado, bueno menos mal que fue un susto, y no llego a mayores para ti y tu familia. Sabes que es curioso que los terremotos se han producido en un ciclo de 25 años ell del 60, 85 y 2010....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Xacir.

I forgot to mention. To those of you that have tried to contact me at my @gonsa address, it is the one that is still not operative, and probably will not be until Monady morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

It's good to know that you and your family are safe.  I always enjoy your level-headed and polite posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I am very happy to hear that you and your familiy are safe. I wonder if being in a single family dwelling was more beneficial than those in the high rise buildings?  Logic might suggest this, but since you are living in the area, I thought perhaps you could give some insight?

I did attempt to send an email to you and it came back undeliverable.  Now I know why!

THANK YOU for keeping us informed as to how you are doing for giivng us a glimpse of the devastation in your area.

be safe my friend,

Hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that you are safe!

8.8 is a very strong magnitude!  Having lived in Japan for the last 24 years, I have experienced quite a few earthquakes, but never one of this magnitude.  I know that some day it will happen (again) in Tokyo, so I am always very concerned when it happens elsewhere in the world.

My best wishes to the people of Chile, and let's not forget the people in Haiti.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pat, fortunately, the number

of victims here is negligible compared with tho

se in Haití. Also fortunately, our country is in

a far better economical situation, s

o although it will take time, a lot of money, and sacrifices, we will recover much sooner than they. Destroyed goods can be replaced, but lost lives cannot so, no, we aren't forgetting Haití.

Of course, when whole towns have been erased from the map, recovery will not come in days, or in weeks, or even in months. But we are already working for it.

Extra linefeeds kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to here al is well yyou and your fami

ly and extended Family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear it Claudio!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very relieved to hear that all is well with you and yours.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add one more to the list of people who are very pleased to hear you are okay, Claudio.   These are tough times for many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you and your family are ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines