Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Popular Discussions Feature

May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, could someone explain to me exactly what determines a "popular" discussion?

Popular Discussions.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the popular high school kids like it.

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you seeing that? I have never seen the forum names listed in that box or in the "More like this" box. If those boxes must be available, I would definitely like to see the forum names, too.

Is that a feature only for employees and/or moderators?

[Edit]

Now that I think of it, perhaps you are in one of those restricted areas and the popular discussion might be related to whatever purpose that area has. Just thinkin' out loud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "popular discussions" is part of your personal homepage customization.

Nah, I tested it on an non-Adobe account as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "popular discussions" is part of your personal homepage customization.

Don't think so. It's right here in FCA and I haven't personalised anything. In fact it's in all the forums I've been to. I've wondered how it's calculated - doesn't seem to be either busiest or most recent. More pointless fluff, but given the bizarre entries in 'more like this' I'm not surprised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah so.

Popular discussions appears elsewhere, too, but I haven't seen it list items outside the forum that I am in. So I just added that widget to my custom page and it still doesn't show the forum names or dates.

I was able to edit that widget to restrict it to a single forum (or a parent and its children?), but still no dates or forum names.

And I definitely cannot answer your question about the Canon thread - or the first item, either - in its default state.

Message was edited by: Mark A. Boyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmph. I could've sworn it was everywhere. It's in Dreamweaver:

screenshot_02.jpg

Not Indesign or PS Mac, at least not now. I saw it in ID, I'm sure I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe hosts in different forums can suppress it ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe hosts in different forums can suppress it ????

That's what I'm thinking. Or it may be related to which breadcrumb | Up to Discussions | Overview tab link you used. Or maybe whether there are sub forums. But I think your guess is probably more accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. Or it may be related to which breadcrumb ...

You only see it if you enter a forum via the "discussions" breadcrumb.

Which I never do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, hadn't seen it in the other locations.

But yeah, if it's available for customization then a forum host could add or remove it per-forum. (I think, since I'm not a host)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in 'Flex in a Week'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ's right! I knew I'd seen it. Went to Indesign, not there. Go into a thread, hit 'Discussions' and there it is on the right. I have to say, navigation around here is weird.

I've already pointed out, there seem to be two 'overview' or introductory pages for each forum, and the differences I'd seen are that boxes on the right swap positions, and the 'Overview' tab is open or shut. Now I know that 'popular discussions' is or isn't there. But - both have a list of discussions, and it's hard to see why there are two different versions.

Also, in one of these 'introductory' pages you can see a message that you can't post here, and the list of sub-forums is on the right. Get there another way, and the sub-forums are listed in the main area.

Why?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget the Sticky Topics (if available) that appear only via certain navigation methods. For this example, I am using this forum.

1. From the parent Adobe General Forums, click on Forum Comments
  2. From reading messages, click on the Forum Comments breadcrumb
  3. If the Overview tab is visible (you probably clicked on Discussions or Up to Discussions), click Overview

Any others?

[Edit to #3. If you clicked on Discussions or Up to Discussions and the Sticky Topics are not there - and you know they exist - click Overview]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's kind of what I meant by the Overview tab being open or shut. And in a number of forums the last two breadcrumbs have the same name. They take you to the 2 different versions of what is essentially the same page. Bonkers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive has a formula for calculating "popularity" - it's a combination of views, activity, and number of messages. More here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kanguyen wrote:

Jive has a formula for calculating "popularity" - it's a combination of views, activity, and number of messages. More here.

I wonder how many U2U denizens find "popularity" relevant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As John noted, it is shown on discussion list pages, but not overview pages.

As far as I can tell, an admin cannot remove it from the discussion list pages (it is built-in), but may be abel to add it to the overview page.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

As John noted, it is shown on discussion list pages, but not overview pages.

As far as I can tell, an admin cannot remove it from the discussion list pages (it is built-in), but may be abel to add it to the overview page.

John

Methinks... we have:

1/ Far to many 'Johns' here

2/ We have 'Johns' who have not posted

3/ We have, therefore, gobbledykook.

Signed,

J

Who is not a John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jhabrix wrote:

1/ Far to many 'Johns' here

Far too many JJs too! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Far too many JJs too! 

Nah! The JJs we can live with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the formula for popularity raises a topic last posted to over 8 months ago to the top of the list... something is not quite right with the formula or it's implementation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr Cox...

May we suggest you stick to mauling Photoshop? The Jive ACE forums have enough problems on their hands without your arrogant interventions, interludes and interjections. OK?

Given your attitude (in various threads) you are part of the problem. Not part of the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<noise>

He is reporting a genuine apparent quirk with the Jive forum here.

If feel you must flame him with your own arrogant interventions, interludes and interjections, why not save them for posts where you think he is being arrogant instead of where he is obviously contributing feedback about the forum?

Or why not resist that temptation since another part of the problem is the amount of noise we users are submitting - making it harder for people to find the genuine forum comments.

</noise>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it is a quirk. I looked up the thread and it has 1708 page views. Pageviews is one of the criteria for "popularity."

Most threads don't come close to that many page views.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines