• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Posts show up in email but not on web?

LEGEND ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/740631 (TIFF vs PSD CS5) in the InDesign forum, I've received several posts in email today that do not appear in the web interface. The latest post in the web interface is:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3668725 (12:40pm Pacific, RobertoBlake)

According to the emails, from the thread, there have been five subsequent posts, beginning with

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3668797 (12:53pm Pacific, macinbytes)

and ending with

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3669007 (2:02pm Pacific, RobertoBlake)

I can only assume there is some kind of database corruption? All times above are the email timestamps. In the case of the first one,

the web timestamp is acftually 12:39pm Pacific, I guess they don't match 1:1 at all times.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 13, 2011 May 13, 2011

From Jive for John and Jochem:

Many thanks to your user, that's great data - I found that node 10.137.24.43 (42p) had dropped out of the cluster and disabled clustering. It's likely any posts made from this node wouldn't make it to the caches of the other nodes, which would explain why the caches were getting out of sync. I've resolved that, the node has rejoined the cluster and I've cleared the caches again to sync them back up. At this point the caches shouldn't be getting out of sync anymore;

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been some oddities over the last two days, with regards to replies showing. I've had some magically appear, while I was reading the "last post," and their date/time stamps indicate that they were posted, before I began reading.

There is work being done by Adobe, so maybe some part of that is affecting the display.

Also, if a spammer posts to a thread (as an example), and one has e-mail notification ON, they will be notified, but Adobe-Admin might remove that/those offending post(s), before one gets to the thread. I've had similar happen, with the (Updated) flag in the main page, only to find that the last post that I saw, some days before, is all that is now present. I've found some references to those threads in the Spam Report thread here, and then know what happened. Not saying that this is the cause here, but it's a possibility.

Out of curiosity, on the InDesign main page, with the thread listings, do you see the "proper" reply count, with the poster's screen name, that matches up to your e-mail notification?

Maybe a MOD, or Adobe-Admin. will have some comments on the thread that you cited, and then we'll know.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the anomaly with the (Updated) flag in this THREAD. I had seen it earlier today, and it then showed as having new replies, but did not. I also noted that the Last Post button did not function, and I had to scroll. Not sure if there is any relationship.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact thing with this THREAD. It showed as (Updated), but the last post was mine, on April 21. Here, the Last Post worked fine?

Oddities? Yes, no doubt.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These were definitely not spam posts.

It seems to be happening in other threads.

Indeed, I could not find the thread at all on the main InDesign

page. That's worrisome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gotten a couple of "Unexpected Error" messages on posting today (Tuesday, May 10), and when I Cancel, I see that the post has been uploaded. In several threads on several of the Premiere forums, it seems that many posters are getting double, and even triple posts. Not sure if this is related to the Unexpected Error, or something totally removed.

Either way, it does seem that there is wonkiness in the forum today.

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

[Edit] It happened with this reply too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(this posted via the web interface)

These were definitely not spam posts.
It seems to be happening in other threads.
Indeed, I could not find the thread at all on the main InDesign page. That's worrisome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like one of the server nodes is out of sync. Sending off a support ticket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on the support ticket?

I continue to see these problems, e.g. in thread
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/850157
talking to server node SGAURWA43P.
Has Jive said anything useful?
Can I provide more information on the problem somehow?

[can anyone tell me how to talk to specific server nodes to look for data inconsistencies?]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the nodes were restarted a few hours ago.

I see seven replies listed for that discussion. What do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see seven replies listed for that discussion. What do you see?

I see seven as well. But the header indicates a 09:54 Pacific

reply by 'peter at knowhowpro' which is not one of the 7, and I have

Peter's reply in my mailbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It gets odder. It says 7 replies at the top of the page, but I actually can see 8 replies. Last one is from peter at 9:54...

8replies.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is the post that I do not see on the web interface.

I assume you're using a different node...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the widget in the Testing Forum, I am on 43P.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed you mentioned 43P, too, a few messages back. Can you confirm that you are still on that node? If we're on the same node and seeing different messages that sounds even worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, yes, I still seem to be on 43P and the last post in that thread I see

is reply #7 from curtis368. (I don't suppose there's

a chance you are on a different prefix also ending in 43P?).

I even tried removing the jive.server.info cookie and reloading

the page and still get the same cookie with 43P.

Possibly unrelated but curious to me is that if I use a command-line

web client (w3m) from another system, I get the full proper page

and the cookie says localName=10.137.24.43; and it seems awfully weird

that some hosts might be named with IP addresses and others with names,

and also odd that the two I happened to get both have '43' in them...

Also cleared the browser cache ... no dice.

It looks like you guys are running an BigIP redirector...

maybe that's involved with the problem? Working (w3m) session

has BIGipServerPool_53_ENT2=723028234.22555.0000, broken

Firefox has BIGipServerPool_53_ENT2=739805450.22555.0000.

shrug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding all of your comments to the support ticket. Probably won't hear anything else back this evening. I'll check back in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more data. If I throw away all cookies, I (usually) get balanced

to a new server.

Doing so 7 times from the same IP address, twice I get the full thread

from 10.137.24.43 (no name). The remaining 5 times I get the truncated

thread, twice from 41P and 44P, and once from 43P.

I have to say, this is impressive!

Edit: noname ipaddr is 10.137.24.43 not 10.137.24.4. (cut-and-paste error)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, 7 trials. Not so exciting. So, I ran 1000 repitions of

$ curl -v http://forums.adobe.com/message/3671936#3671936 2>&1| egrep 'title="in response|server.info'
< Set-Cookie: jive.server.info="serverName=forums.adobe.com:serverPort=80:contextPath=:localName=SGAURWA41P:localPort=9000:localAddr=127.0.0.1"; Version=1; Path=/
                                       title="in response to: JWH-NIRC"
                                       title="in response to: JWH-NIRC"

Reporting the server name and the resonses for thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/3671936#3671936, another one that I found to be problematic. Here are the summary stats:

TrialsNode# responses
24010.137.24.433 responses
247SGAURWA41P2 responses
246SGAURWA43P2 responses
266SGAURWA44P2 responses

So basically, all the nodes with proper names do not seem to be syncing up with the 10.137.24.43 node, which is presumably misconfigured anyhow, since it has an RFC1918 address as its nodename intead of a node name. It's also plausibly misconfigured since you would think 43P would be the node ending in .43, so something else is messed up, too.

I'd theorize, then, that if a poster gets load-balanced to the 24.43 server, then his/her posts get tossed into lala land until something happens that forces a database quorum sync?

Or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They (Jive) cleared some caches this evening, attempting to clear this up. I'll pass along this additional test info.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Just in case it wasn't clear, this behavior persists right now. (If you have a mac or a unix machine handy, pasting that curl|egrep line into the shell and hitting up-arrow/return a few times should show you the differing behavior on each node).

I suspect it's a config problem and not [only?] a caching problem, but that may be naive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Understood. They did the cache clear a few hours ago. Still happening.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

So basically, all the nodes with proper names do not seem to be syncing up with the 10.137.24.43 node, which is presumably misconfigured anyhow, since it has an RFC1918 address as its nodename intead of a node name. It's also plausibly misconfigured since you would think 43P would be the node ending in .43, so something else is messed up, too.

The nodes refer to Tomcat instances of which there are 4. I have only ever seen 2 IP addresses, so I doubt there is a one-on-one correspondence between node names and IP addresses.

I'd theorize, then, that if a poster gets load-balanced to the 24.43 server, then his/her posts get tossed into lala land until something happens that forces a database quorum sync?

Until cache expiration / resync. There is a single PostgreSQL database but there is a distributed Oracle Coherence cache and I believe every node has its own cache instance. But since there is a single database and that database has proper referential integrity the issues should sort theselves out eventually without data loss or conflicts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were still issues earlier today, Wed, May 11, up to about Noon PDT, and in some threads (in Premiere Elements forum), replies are now showing, but the reply count is still off in some, though the display of the actual replies seems to have been fixed. Earlier, I would see 0 replies, and add a reply, only to see 1, or more posts, and some time stamped at least an hour before my reply. They would just suddenly appear, as soon as the thread refreshed. A manual refresh (Chrome) did NOT bring those other replies up.

Maybe with the re-syncing, some data (reply count here) was lost in the process?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

[can anyone tell me how to talk to specific server nodes to look for data inconsistencies?]

You can switch nodes at will by modifying the value of the BIGipServerPool_53_ENT2 cookie. I don't know if they have changed, but n 2009 the names / values were:

SGAURWA41P: 706251018.22555.0000

SGAURWA42P: 723028234.22555.0000

SGAURWA43P: 739805450.22555.0000

SGAURWA44P: 756582666.22555.0000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines