• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Profile preferences not respected

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my profile, the "Hide" my email address has always been checked, and still is. But my email is there for everyone to see. This is most annoying, and I protest violently for this violation of my privacy.

Addition: and if I hover the cursor over my name, my email address is also shown, followed by this ridiculous statement: "(Private: hidden to everyone)".

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: addition.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

It is only visible for you. Hovering, or entering, nothing is mentioned except for name (with some option called Download vcard, whatever that is), the silly titling, and then the following items, the two last ones filled in by yourself.

• Brief Bio:
  • Adobe Products / System Information:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be right, and I must say I had never noticed I can see my email address. I only did because someone posted a message with a link to my profile, which I followed in case it was spam. It was then that I saw my address.

If it turns out that everyone can see his/her email address in their profiles, I will feel like the fool I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't see yours from here.

Claudio.jpg

I can see mine, but it's not hidden.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

If it turns out that everyone can see his/her email address in their profiles, ...

It does, but I reject the conclusion. It is a bit frightening to see it right there, especially for the first time. I believe many of us have felt it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the big deal about keeping one's eMail address secret?

Any ISP worth its monthly fee has a decent spam filter that's kept up to date.

Any eMail client worth having has another one, plus rules you can define to capture things like bad words, etc.

I've run my business with the same widely published eMail addresses for years and I just don't see spam regularly in my inbox.  As far as I can tell I'm not losing legitimate messages to the spam filters either.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there may be people who like to keep some of their private information private. I, for one, do not want to share my email address with everyone coming to these forums. Personal messages are there for anyone who wants to discuss anything with me in a non public fashion.

And I am not saying that everyone should feel and behave the same; if someone wants to make public his/her home telephone number, that's his/her privilege, and I'll respect it. After all, we do live in free countries...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there are very different levels of trust in the different kinds of safety/security.

It may have something to do with age, and/or experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any case, it's now clear for me that what I was reporting is a normal and perfectly reasonable feature of these forums. And I am not using the word "feature" here as it has become fashionable to use it in them, to mean a bug or something not working as expected...  My apologies for making a mountain of a ..., no, not a molehill, but really nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

I believe there are very different levels of trust in the different kinds of safety/security.

It may have something to do with age, and/or experience.

I may well have more experience than you, since I've been using computers since they were the size of buildings and the Internet since PCs could be connected to it.  Amazingly, I'm still safe and sound.

I'm genuinely curious:  What risks do you feel you're exposing yourself to by publishing your eMail address?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be a PITA to be contacted at a private email add. for product questions. It can also be a PITA when those people contacting you sometimes get pissed off when you tell them you only answer questions about adobe's products in the adobe forums.

There can (and have been in the past) cases where some forum regulars are, shall we say, less than stable. The less information said regulars get about other regulars, the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

It can be a PITA to be contacted at a private email add. for product questions.

If you say so.  I get an eMail every few weeks or so from people who have visited the forum then have contacted me via eMail.  The answer I give is generally, "I prefer to discuss Adobe issues on the forum..." and I briefly answer their question.  So far that hasn't turned into anything bad, nor is it particularly time consuming.

I view interacting with people online as a positive thing - a form of networking.

Regarding spammers or people I just don't want to hear from, it's trivial to just add an address to the junk eMail filter (I use Outlook) and from then on no more messages would show up in my inbox.  I can't recall anyone (other than the very occasional spammer) that I've added to my list in recent history.

I guess in general I see anonymity (of which privacy could be considered a cousin) as a bad thing.  People tend to say things online, hiding behind it, that they certainly wouldn't if standing next to the recipient.  I try to make sure anything I say on a forum is something I would say in person.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I agree with you, and normally do not list my POP accounts.

Now, I am often contacted via Adobe PM, but do as you, and give a distilled answer, along with urging to post to the appropriate product forum, as many others can read of their problem, and offer solutions. If they are ONLY working with me, they have limited themselves.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are ONLY working with me, they have limited themselves.

and others who might have the same question. that's usually what i tell people who contact me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Good point, and one of the uses of the forums, that is too often overlooked.

Thanks for pointing that out,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

Apart from what Pat said, for my part it is more age and less experience/follow up on new development, and a less (constantly) exclusive ISP.

Quite some time ago, the general advice was to hold back best/main email addresses lest they be sunk by spam and worse, to use less important addresses in public, and to mask/hide email addresses on websites, forums, and the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I, too, always stress the benefit for others when I refer questions in PMs to the relevant forum, luckily rarely; and I give a short answer to get things started (also in the forum), if applicable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines