Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question of usage of old software when you upgrade

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day to all.

Just new here so please be gentle. Do any of you still retain the older version of adobe when you upgrade to the latest software? Like for example CS4 and having CS5.5 on your PC? Since you have license, are we allowed to use both or directly use the newer version and discard the old one? Just want to know what to do on these kind of situation.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, you may sell old versions that have been deactivated and are no longer used (or could, I don't know if Adobe still allows... this is user forum, not Adobe support)

EXCEPT... you may not sell version-A if it was used as the base to install and upgrade version-B

AND... you may not sell an Education version at all... the person who qualified to buy the Education version may be the ONLY owner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt reply John.

No I am not planning to sell it or anything. Disregarding HD space issue, is it normal for people to retain the previous program if you upgraded? Or would you switch to the new one immediately even if you know that you might need backward compatibility to some files.

Is it an Adobe protocol to delete version A of you already upgraded to version B? Or this will be a owners call?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This question is better asked in the Creative Suites forums. But yes, it is absolutely normal to retain the previous versions. In fact, almost essential for some products. For instance, as an InDesign user, I have CS3, CS4, CS5, and CS5.5 all installed on our machines, because the newer versions cannot write to older version files.

The installer will not delete older versions. It's entirely your call. And I would suggest you not do so.

The EULA has some language suggesting that this usage is limited to a transition period, whose time period is undefined. In practice, no one is concerned about such things -- we're just worried about dealing with older documents when they arrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines