• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Spell Check" does not offer correct spellings

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I wonder if it's my settings or something within the forum, misspelt words get highlighted but no alternative shows up to correct it with R mousse click. I'm desperate as I have already been expulsed from France in 1969 because of my poor spelling abilities and fear this will happen again in Australia or in this forum if I don't get spelling aid. Thank you for the opportunity.

MM (waiting for my AVATAR)   (I'm using Google Chrome)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spellchecker in Chrome (for me) also does not offer any changes, just the flagging. I believe that spellchecking is browser-specific (or add-on specific with some browsers), and that one has little control over whether one gets correction, or just flagging.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How funny Bill, I'm waiting for a new avatar with "moi" on it for a change. and it's the same again as far as the approval goes....a matter of time. But I looked at my one year old post on this subject and you were asking me what was different about my new avatar to which I never replied! I was going to do this then thought after one year who cares anyway! Well you saw this post and came in!

So about spell check with chrome it seems it's my loss! OK , shame though because I really like chrome you throw at it anything you like on the url bar and that's it.  As for the avatar one year ago, I took the avatar into PS and gave it a little of individuality, well I thought I did! But now I'm getting so much help from this forum I thought it's about time I show you who your helping!

After much hardware, software change I finally got 3 dvd with menu working ok. So I've got to be happy with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got 3 dvd with menu working ok. So I've got to be happy with this!

Success SHOULD bring joy. You are allowed that!

As for the spellcheck, I had started using WordPerfect to do the posts, then Copy/Paste, but sheer laziness overcame me. I live with it, or start guessing at the spelling. Though I did fine in grade school, I still seem to be a horrible speller.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you are! So France is not for you either 🙂 I gave it a go with Explorer, this is even worse there's no check on words at all, perhaps one needs to set this way. I use MS Words myself and as you say, often I can't be bother to go through the copy, fix then paste back. The early forum had a spell check but with a complicated way to do it too. I'm surprised to hear again about Word perfect, I thought it was a think of the past!   Just occasionally if a word shows up and seems VERY wrong I'd check it up in MS Words! With US and UK spelling there are a few words highlighted on our side of the world!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2010 Nov 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been on WordPerfect since about version 1.1, and have suffered through the Novell days, and now the Corel days, but I still like it better than other word processors.

For my uses, I have added so very many words to my dictionary, because of my need for a lot of French, German and Italian in my wine and food writings. Fortunately, the dictionary in WP allows for diacriticals, etc. so I am home free. Same for "colour," etc.

I'd love to have that direct functionality in Chrome, but just live with not having a suggested correction. Often, I'll just do a Copy/Paste into WP, and run SpellChecker, then Copy/Paste back to Chrome - or live with my misspellings!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha, That's the way it is! I remember working in my hospital, the clerks used to pull their hair trying to convert to MS Office as the whole place is Windows NT but they did their training with WP.  where do you write your review, I've got a friend in Penticton Canada who's very keen in wine I'll pass info to him if he has not it yet. Here you are "penticton" no alternative 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of my wine comments are on ChowHound, though there are others. That is just my main site.

Good luck with your new avatar...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How's that for luck. I think my avatar has been launch in space to no return!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Firefox and the spell check works OK.  If my spelling is way off it does draw a blank.

Avatars can can a few days to a week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

Avatars can can a few days to a week.

And it's now nearly three weeks since Michelmnr posted his opening message where he said he was waiting for his avatar...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess if I can't get my Avatar I'll have to settle for the "Can Can"  as an ex Frenchman It'll bring memory! Sorry I did not mean to pick on others writing but the obvious triggered my warp sense of humour, (word that the dictionary does not recognise - In Australia we spend like in US but spell like in UK!)  And low and behold I wrote Frenchman with a small "f" and the spell checker  underlined it then right click gave me the correction! well now  I have to say that my question has been answered but can't say by whom or how!   I guess I should not have talk about my avatar here, broke the protocol and I'm enduring the consequence, I'm an anonymous avatar!  Anyway thanx for the support 🙂 AA!   (All this time I could have done some real work on my video - hmm!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well here we are Bill, someone got the answer for me! I'm ready to receive a drop of that lovely red from your glass 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelmnr wrote:

Hi I wonder if it's my settings or something within the forum, misspelt words get highlighted but no alternative shows up to correct it with R mousse click. I'm desperate as I have already been expulsed from France in 1969 because of my poor spelling abilities and fear this will happen again in Australia or in this forum if I don't get spelling aid. Thank you for the opportunity.

MM (waiting for my AVATAR)   (I'm using Google Chrome)

I use SeaMonkey (equivalent to FireFox) and I've tried on FireFox, on Camino, on Opera, iCab, Omniweb, and Safari.  It does not nor has it ever learned a spelling in fact it doesn't even learn an ignore.

To prove it  type a sentence  put in a nonsense word (or a correctly spelled word, that is not in dictionary) and an obvious misspelled word. Now spell check. turn off spell check after correcting misspelled words. Now turn on spell check again. The nonsense word (or a correctly spelled word, that is not in dictionary) will still show up.

the dummies either at Adobe and /or Jive Clearspace didn't have presence of mine to include a custom dictionary to add words or add ignored words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx PJ, but as I just posted, out of the blue it worked for the first time! But I can't get my sense of humour happy, it likes the US humor, that's not a real problem. I have not turned on or off anything, perhaps Google Chrome made and effort. It used also to ignore some links from government web site and this is working too now. I wish I'd be that lucky with my avatar. If sea monkey works well for spelling perhaps land monkey will work for my avatar! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the html button it toggles to plain text you can then use Chrome's Dictionary or SeaMokey's or Firefox or whatever.  Then when finished spell checking click show full editor and it will go back to the html display.  the built in dictionary has always been lame anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2010 Nov 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I'm going to buy myself a html button, only kidding - but I'm not kidding when I say I can't see this button. Would this forum appear in different view according to the browser one uses?  I just realised I embarrassed myself saying it spells in US spelling, I just saw the spelling option in the the right click drop down menu and "English Australian" is one of the options! Well let see again about my sense of "humour". No problem this time!   Just the same as I've already stated G Chrome all of the sudden is doing a good job with spelling, but thank you for your suggestions etc. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines