• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Receiving unsolicited email notifications

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2009 Dec 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote here 81., this morning I started receiving what I now see are email notifications of messages posted in that thread, starting with, and including, my own message #79. Apparently, these messages are associated with my other identity, Claudio_González, which I haven't used in two weeks.

I know I haven't asked to be notified by email of anything happening in these forums, so I would be very grateful if someone could put an end to this. If this also means removing my second identity, so much the better.

Message was edited by: Claudio González

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Claudio González wrote on 12/7/2009 11:17 PM:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/16640/cookies.JPG

Curious thing is that I deleted all Adobe related cookies early in the morning, so there seems to be a discrepancy. Unless the way the 30 years are being counted introduces an eight day shift or something.

Leap years.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It changes one field in your profile. That alert is telling you that after you change your email address you will have to use the new one as your Adobe ID to log in and access the very same account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Way its worded sound as if your account will be changed.

Good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Your account will be changed. It won't create a new account.

I don't understand where people are reading into it that they will get a new account (meaning the old account will remain with your current information, such as registrations, and a new blank account will be created).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well the way it worded it could imply that because you change your email address, your adobe ID will change. Not that your Log in ID will Change.

I've wanted to update some minor info. but because of the warning I decided not to because I have one too many Adobe iD as it is now. I don't want another. in fact I would like to merge the two I have into the one I am using now. both user the same USER ID and Password  but the name is different. The one with Phillip Jones, CET is from the Macromedia Crossover. I would like to have the stuff from that merged into this. (I have a copy or two DreamWeaver and one od Studio8  under that Id registered and several hundred post credited to that account.)

So it good to know that all it means is that you sign in ID will change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

PjonesCET wrote:

well the way it worded it could imply that because you change your email address, your adobe ID will change. Not that your Log in ID will Change.

Your Adobe ID is your login ID. So yes, your login ID will change. But it is still the same account information.

I do not know if there is any way to combine accounts. You could try calling Customer Service at 800-833-6687 to see if they can do that.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, Harbs posted here 27. that apparently you can have accounts merged by going here, buy I haven't tried it:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/support/index.cfm?event=membership&returnURL=%2Fcfusion%2Fsupport%2Findex%2Ecfm%3Fevent%3Dportal%26loc%3Den%5Fus&loc=en_us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went and  there is there is a bunch of Faq's.

I'll just leave it and not use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, as I understand it, it's just a matter of logging in and

submitting a web case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing its showed a was to open a case about a product, serial numbers, and such. In fact there is a listing for a Case I entered years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

Exactly! Your account will be changed. It won't create a new account.

I don't understand where people are reading into it that they will get a new account (meaning the old account will remain with your current information, such as registrations, and a new blank account will be created).

John, I seem to recall that, in the old times before the insistence on using one's email address as ID, one could change one's screen name, email address (different from one's ID), and password, but not one's ID. That's why I, at least, on reading that changing my email address will change my ID, used to think that doing so would be equivalent to creating a new account.

If my recollection is correct, it would explain why the older participants may tend to misunderstand the warning. Your explanations have made it perfectly clear that we were interpreting it wrongly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

John, I seem to recall that, in the old times before the insistence on using one's email address as ID, one could change one's screen name, email address (different from one's ID), and password, but not one's ID. That's why I, at least, on reading that changing my email address will change my ID, used to think that doing so would be equivalent to creating a new account.

If my recollection is correct, it would explain why the older participants may tend to misunderstand the warning. Your explanations have made it perfectly clear that we were interpreting it wrongly.

In the "old" days (until July or August 2008, I believe) you were not able to change your Screen Name at Adobe.com. I believe that you could always change your Adobe ID (either name or email address version), email address field (when it was separate from your Adobe ID), and password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

In the "old" days (until July or August 2008, I believe) you were not able to change your Screen Name at Adobe.com. I believe that you could always change your Adobe ID (either name or email address version), email address field (when it was separate from your Adobe ID), and password.

Well, then there were many of us who had doubly misunderstood the situation. In any case, I agree with Niall that the warning could be much better worded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2009 Dec 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

With all due respect, the alert is overbearing (imho). It does not adequately communicate the full message, that you have clarified.

Regards,

Niall 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2009 Dec 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niall, I agree, and that's what I tried to convey in here 48.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I did receive, and followed, the instructions to change my password in Account 2 (email address ID). Only that I have no interest whatsoever in using or keeping that account.

Your interest in the second account could be to go in and change the email address on it. I don't know if it would help. But it seems like it might. Then your two accounts would have different addresses and that might help avoid whatever is happening. Then again, it might not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I have just switched on m

y Mac and, although I think my 24 hours had not ended yet,

I found that this time I had been simply logged out. No automatic relog with my other identity. That is some progress.

Just in case, I went through the whole formal logout-login procedure, this time eliminating all my cookies-. We will have to wait, probably until tomorrow, to know what happens.

I will report

later about what happens in my Vista laptop, which I haven't switched on yet.

Extra linefeeds kindly provided by the software (Firefox/Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched on my Vista machine about

1 hour ago. I was still logged in as Claudio González in Explorer. In Safari, I had left things as reported yesterday in case I was asked to test something else. Well, I have just opened Explorer again, and when entering the forums, I was now welcomed as Claudio_González. If I remember correctly, the 24 hours since my last login must have expired in this one hour interval. This seems to confirm that I am first logged out, and then relogged in automatically, but using my second identity.

I will try the following experiment in Safari/Vista. First, I will log out completely and delete all Adobe cookies, Then I will restart my browser, go to adobe.com and log in with my first identity (Claudio González). I will then restart my browser and log in as Claudio González in these forums. I will report what happens when it happens.

Extra linefeed kindly provided by the software (Firefox/Mac).

Addition: This is what happened when I tried to perform my experiment. I did log in as Claudio González in the store, restarted Safari and came to these forums, where I got this:

CapturaX.JPG

This seems to show that I am logged in the forums (without logging in them) but not in the Store (where I did log in)!

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just repeated the above procedure (log out etc

, log in adobe.com, coming into the forums) in Exp

lorer/Vista, and th

is is what I got on entering the forums (without logging in them

😞

CapturaY.JPG

Extra linefeeds kindly provided by the software (Explorer/Vista).

Addition: I restarted Explorer and came back to the forums, and I found that the upper Welcome is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also receiving a large number of unsolicited email notifications. All seem to be from forums that I am active in, though the messages are not ones that I have started or replied to.

I do have email notifications enabled and was logged out when all of this began.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, your account is subscribed to 3 forums and 378 threads. Unfortunately, the report doesn't tell me which forums those are. But yo

u should be able to tell that by the subhject lines of the emails, unless all your thread subscriptions are in the same forums.

To unsubscribe from a forum, go to the forum page and click on the Stop email notifications link in the ACTIONS/NOTIFICATIONS box for that forum. That should stop the notifications from threads you are not participating in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I have just repeated the above procedure (log out etc

, log in adobe.com, coming into the forums) in Exp

lorer/Vista, and th

is is what I got on entering the forums (without logging in them

😞

If you are logged into Adobe.com you don't have to log into the forums. You are already logged in. The forums do NOT have their own login, they just check to see if you are logged into Adobe.com. If you are, you go directly into the forums. If you are not, you are presented with an Adobe.com sign in page (look at the URL the next time you have to sign in, it is not a forums page).

Your Adobe login, though, will expire after 15 or 20 minutes of no activity at Adobe.com. But the forums login should persist. So, yes, it is possible to be logged into the Forums but not logged into Adobe.com.

I may be wrong, but it looks like whatever is happening that switches you from account 1 to account 2 is not happening in the forums. They are just picking up the cookies from Adobe.com to see which account you are logged in with there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, and thanks for replying.

I will of course try your idea of changing the email associated with my second account. At this stage, I'm willing to try anything that may help in solving my problem. I am however interested in seeing what happens in Safari and Explorer, where I started by logging directly in adobe.com, so I will wait at least until tomorrow to see if that makes any change.

You say that you don't think that my problem is happening in the forums. Does that mean that it may be happening in the adobe.com site? By the way, according to my records, I have never used an email address as an Adobe ID, just names, so it puzzles me to see that the ID appearing in my second account is my email address. I share Phillip's fear/misconception that, if one uses one´s email address as ID, a later change of address may lead to the creation of a completely new account. Well, I will see for myself and know for certain when I change the email address in my second account...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in Explorer I have no choice and have to delete all my cookies...

Tools > Internet Options > General > (Browsing history) Settings > View files. Then Search button and Search for files or folders named > adobe. This brings up for me a few image files, a couple of scripts and five cookies. Select the cookies and hit Delete.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Noel, I may try following your instructions next timr. However, not knowing them has helped in this case to show that my problem is more complicated than it looks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The symptoms do make sense if we assume the following:

- logging in creates an AUID and RMID cookie;

- AUID cookies live 24 hours;

- RMID cookies live 30 years;

- when both are present, the software prefers the AUID cookie.

This would explain being authenticated through the AUID for the first 24 hours and through the RMID after that. What Jive would need to do is get the values of both cookies, do the appropriate calls to the SSO portal for each cookie and check if they get a different GUID back. If they do, the proble is in Adobe's SSO portal. If they don't, the problem is on Jive's side. The next step would be to table both accounts and check the GUID extended property on both of them.

If you have access to all the systems and cookies it is a 5 minute check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines