• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove "This Question is Possibly Answered " from forum pages

Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please remove the statement, "This Question is Possibly Answered ", presently located at the top of forum pages. It is practically useless. When a question has been answered the poster will mark it as answered. When it hasn't, the poster wont. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a question has been answered the poster will mark it as answered. When it hasn't, the poster wont. 

But he might not know if it's the right one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they need to remove the whole Bullsh!t system of letting nubes give out stars for answers to questions.

Please give me a star for my answer I'm trying to get as many points as possible before they eliminate the silliness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm seeing the"This Question..." notice for this question, and I wonder how it got there. JJ's post triggered it? It's nowhere near of being an "answer", except for the fact that it was posted because of the OP;,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this was on the Adobe Lab Lightroom Beta Forum. I don't remember there being any problem with them I miss labeled Answer that truly isn't should be able to be fixed by a Forum Host (once they get their privileges, again, if they don't already have them. Would just take a request to a Host to fix such a problem, which should occur infrequently, possibly depending on the forum.

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best idea would be to get rid of the whole concept of "right" since the OP wouldn't know the "right" answer.  And while we are talking about junk forget about awarding points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And while we are talking about junk forget about awarding points.

Absolutely. You can get points for stating the obvious and, on the other hand, do a long investigation leading to a nicely reasoned answer and get nothing.

In other words they mean nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP has question, user answeres, OP tries suggestion which fixes his problem, OP gives points.

Sure, it won't always work but if it works about 80% of the time then it's good enough. Not getting the 10points for the correct answer will not be that big of a problem after a couple of weeks when most of the helpers around here will have hundreds of points

Inevitably, the perceived value of each comment is subjective, and some users don’t care if they receive points. But studies have shown that many do, and for those users, points can motivate higher quality participation.

that's what we were told on Community Help about the points so i'd say learn to live with them(or to ignore them)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's what we were told on Community Help about the points

You were indoctrinated then.

So someone amasses a load of points. What does he get, a good boy medal?

Since, apart from the randomness of giving, and the inconsistencies of effort per point given (and the open-ness to abuse) it would be grossly unfair to give anything more valuable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indoctrinated? why? because i quoted somebody? i don't think it works that way. Last i checked you don't get squat for having more points but it's already implemented and taking them out would take some work to do so why whine about removing them? why not whine about more pressing matters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote on 2009-04-11 20:12 :

So someone amasses a load of points. What does he get, a good boy medal?

A reputation.

A long time ago it was customary for users of a one-to-many

communication medium to just read the medium for a while before posting.

The official Nettiquette still reads:

- Read both mailing lists and newsgroups for one to two months before

you post anything. This helps you to get an understanding of

the culture of the group.

RFC 1855, Netiquette Guidelines, October 1995

Nowadays all the youngsters don't have time for that anymore. They come

in, ask a question within 5 minutes of finding a communication medium,

and are left with a bunch of often conflicting answers. Which just

leaves him with even more questions: Which answer to try first? Which

user to listen to?

As an instant fix for that problem we have the user points. Just start

with the people with the most points because surely they must have some

clue. No need to disseminate, validate and value the provided answers

anymore, just a cop-out where every nuance is replaced by an absolute

number.

An instant solution for an instant generation that has forgotten what

critical thinking means.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still a silly system in my view.  Amassing a large number of points does not mean one knows what they are talking about.  AND, as John points out, it's subjective.  If the OP gets an answer they *think* was the right one, they might award the points, but then later find the more correct answer further down the thread.  Can't re-dole out the points.  It's just a badge that really doesn't need to be worn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that.

My point is not that points are a bad thing but that, as implemented here, they are misleading , if not meaningless.

And open to abuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Which user to listen to?

Wanna feel the silliness, Jochem?

Whay should I place any stock in what you have to say?

I see you only have 101 posts since your "Sign Up date"  8 years ago.

You have ZERO goodie points!

I've blocked the "Community Expert" image from appearing, so I don't even see that.

I think you're just cutting and pasting stuff!!!

See how silly those attributes are?

Then take me, for instance.

I only have 20 goodie points. I only have 116 posts (as of right now) since my "Sign Up date" in July 2006.

I'm not even a "Community Expert" for cr@p sakes!

The real facts are that I've been an active participant on the Adobe forums for almost 11 years, and have answered HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of questions, with replies ranging from single sentence directives to newbies to 2,000 word detailed tutorials with annotated screen shots and links to further info. The stats here just don't reflect that.

Let's compare our stats to those of "Dave Milbut," then.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1884573#1884573

I'm not singling him out, it's just that I know Dave well enough to know he'll understand the point I'm making by using him as an example.

Dave has made (as of this writing) 16,587 posts since his "Sign Up date" in July of 2006. He's so far accumulated 110 goodie points. He spends a large majority of his time in the Photoshop forums. But I think he'll readily confirm my claim that my breadth of knowledge and deep understanding of Photoshop is a couple orders of magnitude greater than his.

Yet, it seems to me that by your reckoning, his input carries a lot more gravity than mine does, because of some numbers.

THAT'S why the stats are superfluous, and in many cases completely misleading. And this is ESPECIALLY true to those new visitors you refer to. If they are indeed in so much of a hurry to sign-up, get in, post a question, read an answer, then disappear, it doesn't matter who gives them an answer. They don't care what kind of status they've accumulated.

All that, and that's not even addressing the matter of the resources that are wasted keeping track of that crap, and the visual clutter they add to the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos±four dots wrote on 2009-04-11 23:05 :

Whay should I place any stock in what you have to say?

You probably shouldn't.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet, it seems to me that by your reckoning, his input carries a lot more gravity than mine does, because of some numbers.

no, people should listen to me just because i'm that much cooler than you. MY band never had big hair in the 80s!!! 😛 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Man! I was the only one in my bands back then who had big hair. It worked for me...and it must have also worked on our fans, because I corraled more girls than the rest of those losers combined! (Of course, it kind of helped that quite often I was the only single/unattached dog in the bunch!>

Dude, I had a mullet, too, and I made that sh¡t look go-o-o-o-d!

http://www.milbut.org/webxEmoticons/sillygrin.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok jenny, i got your number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inevitably, the perceived value of each comment is subjective, and some users don’t care if they receive points. But studies have shown that many do, and for those users, points can motivate higher quality participation.

Too juvenile for words!

This is what happens when you let Macromedia people and Dorothy's cohorts of Flying Monkeys into formerly adult Forums?!

<Exits: while shaking her head>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

Too juvenile for words!

This is what happens when you let Macromedia people and Dorothy's cohorts of Flying Monkeys into formerly adult Forums?!

<Exits: while shaking her head>

You really should knock off the personal insults/attacks.  YOU are the one who is being juvenile!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really should knock off the personal insults/attacks.

Why?

My remarks target the exact cause of a lot of the friction and social problems that have emerged in the NEW Adobe-MM combined-forums.

The whole merger has benefited no-one; is proving to be a colossal mistake; and is the reason why I barely bother to even look at these Forums any longer … let alone continue to contribute answers to User's questions any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

You really should knock off the personal insults/attacks.

Why?

My remarks target the exact cause of a lot of the friction and social problems that have emerged in the NEW Adobe-MM combined-forums.

The whole merger has benefited no-one; is proving to be a colossal mistake; and is the reason why I barely bother to even look at these Forums any longer … let alone continue to contribute answers to User's questions any longer.

Your remarks as in "My remarks target the exact cause of a lot of the friction and social problems that have emerged in the NEW Adobe-MM combined-forums." are, indeed your remarks and as such represent your opinion.  But just suppose few people around here agree with you?  Just suppose...

Why don't take your complaints to Adobe Management?  Never mind.  I suggested that some time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a temporary solution, if you are running FireFox, you can use Stylish and/or GreaseMonkey to nuke a bunch of this stuff.

See the FAQ entry on overwriting the forum styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines