• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Searching forums is a pain

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2009 Oct 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure why they changed it since it worked fine, and now it is a real pain to try and search a specific forum such as Indesign. It looks like you have to click on 'options' and scroll down the list to select the forum, which is *very difficult* in the tiny scroll box.

I am surprised a company who obviously puts a lot of thought into design of their products would have such an ill conceived feature. 

or am I missing something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you are missing all the previous threads complaining of the search function? And the very many threads complaining of the many deficiencies of these new forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree... I'm trying to find the thread I was in a few days ago and I'm still searching 20 min. later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google the subject. It is much faster and will take you to the adobe thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops, well, to be honest I go so frustrated with search that I did not search that query...LOL

I hope they fix it--- a lot of us rely on this community for support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2009 Nov 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Google the subject.

Dec9,

I agree completely. The potential for boolean criteria are much greater, and the search takes fewer clicks/storkes.

Yes, I liked the old, but that is history and we cannot go back. Adaptation is the word of the day, or week, or month or year.

I just used the Adobe forum search today for the first time in months. It finally worked, but not without a lot of work on my part.

The Jive forum search should default to the assumption that one wishes to search in the forum, to which they are logged in and are active - it does not, and that is the first rub.

Luckily, I can still recall most of the important respondants to a thread, and limit on them. The first time I saw the criteria box of People, I got excited. Well, the excitement has faded.

The OP is not alone in this complaint.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surprised a company who obviously puts a lot of thought into design of their products would have such an ill conceived feature. 

The "Good Design" was a feature of the original ADOBE products — it was never part of anything that came out of Macromedia.

And these "redesigned" Forums are a direct result of the Adobe-Macromedia merger.

The redesign (in order to incorporate the old Macromedia Forums) and the decision to "Go cheaply" with off-the-peg Jive software has been a terrible mistake and is a huge loss of service to all of Adobe's customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a terrible shame, I hope they are listening to this and that Adobe has more control over the macro guys and wins out because the forums used to be great.   Now they bite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Koolada wrote:

the forums used to be great.   Now they bite.

This is all that needs to be said really, this just says it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knock it off about the Macromedia. Most employees and all the customers of Macromedia didn't want the the merger, The only people that did was the BOD and shareholders.

The only reason Adobe wanted Macromedia was for Flash, DreamWeaver the best web design program ever created, and Fireworks. as for the other stuff they couldn't care less whether it existed or not.

I was one of those customers also I've owned versions of Acrobat since version 3. And Continue to Use it to this day with version 9. The Macromedia people were dragged kicking and screaming and gnashing of teeth over here. If it were up to the  MacroMedia people they would just as soon be separated as well.

But what's done is done, it can't be undone.

I'm sure if Adobe had not taken over Macromedia, MicroSoft would have, and you can bet if that had happened Flash would have become so proprietary so that only PC people people could use it. Or once they knew how it worked they would kill it. For something that doesn't work as well. I followed the DreamWeaver forum up until Macromedia became part of Adobe.  You would have thought that Armageddon was occurring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

The "Good Design" was a feature of the original ADOBE products — it was never part of anything that came out of Macromedia.

And these "redesigned" Forums are a direct result of the Adobe-Macromedia merger.

The redesign (in order to incorporate the old Macromedia Forums) and the decision to "Go cheaply" with off-the-peg Jive software has been a terrible mistake and is a huge loss of service to all of Adobe's customers.

Hey... Hang on for a sec... you seem to have this thing about Macromedia... I'm no great fan per se but a few basic points:

1/ Adobe bought out Macromedia. Not the other way around.

2/ Freehand as a vector illustration program was streets ahead of Illustrator... And, despite CS4, is (though, long dead) still ahead in many capabilities and features... (I'm no expert on this but this is what i've gathered from users in the AI forum.)

3/ By the very nature of the product differentiation, i don't see how Macromedia users have adversely influenced these forums.

-->

4/ I have been visiting the PS forums since about 1999 or so, Dreamweaver since about the same time... Both these were primarily by NNTP. Illustrator, by web, since 2005. I must say, i have found all three equally helpful and friendly. And until this forum arrived, all equally prone to letting threads drift into concepts (philosophising) and experimentation... something these new forums seem to both lack and discourage (overtly and covertly).

FWIW...

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you seem to have this thing about Macromedia..

Too right!

I have hated every single GUI of theirs that I ever came across — and that includes both Dreamweaver and Freehand. And of course their Forums were the pits if you had to actually look at them in a Browser!

"Adobe bought out Macromedia. Not the other way around."

Indeed. But then Adobe acquired all the of those Macromedia employees and let them run havoc all over Adobe!

Look at what they did to the Adobe Exchange!

And the adoption of Jive and the deporable GUI of these Forums (complete with the attendant so-called "Community Experts") has the Macromedia stamp written all over them!

Freehand probably had the ugliest interface of all time. GoLive had a far better GUI than Dreamweaver and I still use it in preference to DW as much as possible.

I must say, i have found all three [web sites] equally helpful and friendly. And until this forum arrived, all equally prone to letting threads drift into concepts (philosophising) and experimentation... something these new forums seem to both lack and discourage (overtly and covertly).

The failure of the "Moderators" on these new Forums to let "threads drift into concepts (philosophising) and experimentation... " is deplorable and is direct indication of a narrow-minded, semi-educated mind-set that has crept in since we lost the wonderful Forum Hosts who used to look after the old Adobe Forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe makes such elegant programs. But if the forum is an indication, well, this is troubling....the fact that programs such as MS suite exist, which are beyond terrible, means that the possiblity is there for degradation if it is allowed.

Everyone should use Adobe programs such as Indesign to see how good software can be, and then they would know how bad other stuff is

Some in other camps would argue this is just bias to what you are used to using, but I don't buy that, Adobe is a well made excellent product -- you cannot deny that. And we depend on that and expect it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2009 Oct 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To come back to the original topic of this thread...

Maybe the forum search wouldn't be so terrible if there were any instructions on how to use it.  But I found nothing; nada!

What I found out myself if I want to search a specific forum or subforum, I put in the forum name, together with the search terms.  Linked with plus + signs.  E.g. from a search I did just a few minutes ago:

Adobe +Reader +EULA

Works nicely.  But an official description of the search function would really help a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

I put in the forum name, together with the search terms.  Linked with plus + signs.  E.g. from a search I did just a few minutes ago:
Adobe +Reader +EULA

Works nicely.  But an official description of the search function would really help a lot!

˙ʇɐd dıʇ ʇɐǝɹƃ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, although a larger issue is that it was better before, I have not explored this new forum in depth but this feature is a regression instead of  improvement which is counter to what we are generally used to as software users...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Koolada

Indeed searching the forums can be a painful process. I totally agree with that.

However, I thought I'd share something that totally shocked and surprised me yesterday. I had viewed this thread and was about to try one of the suggestions mentioned. More specifically, I typed my search term an followed it with a space and a +Captivate (My Forum Name). What really shocked the socks off of me was that for some reason, even before I clicked the magnifying glass to perform the initial search, up popped a list of threads. Very near the top was the exact thread I was seeking!

That was a pleasant surprise.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ever tried clicking on this button?:P

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

ever tried clicking on this button?:P

Untitled-1.png

Well, this is very interesting - would you care to share where you found that, and what it contains?

"My" forum search only looks like this

forumsearch.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It comes on the second page (first page of results). After you hit the search button, the next page, just below the search box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

For once I have to admit that this was very clever of Jive - very cleverly hidden!  Why not put these search options on the main search field?

The Search Tips are here: http://forums.adobe.com/search-tips.jspa

And in the Advanced Search ("more options") we can actually select which forum to search, as well as user names, and even the time frame.  Not so bad, in the end... if you know it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 28, 2009 Oct 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

Thank you!

For once I have to admit that this was very clever of Jive - very cleverly hidden!  Why not put these search options on the main search field?

Welcome ...

And quite... The old forums had the option of an advanced search up front. And the drop down to select the various forums really sucks... It's very hard to find a particular forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair, the old search function was pretty shoddy and much complained about. As before, at the bottom of the page is 'search powered by Google' - a genuine Google search box on the page would be much more useful, it can be limited to the current site.

One way or another, the owners of the 'flagship' web design application should be showing how it's done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe someone from the Microsoft webdesign software group will fix it then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I remember things, the search function of the old forums used to work fairly well. That is, until it began being "improved". For example, one easy way to find a message of mine when details about it became fuzzy was to perform a search for my own name. This was very effective when results were presented in strict chronological  order, and with just my last post in each thread. This convenience was abruptly ended when this was changed to a (to me) random order, excepting that all my messages in a thread were grouped in chronological order. As I participated very actively in more than one very long discussion (300 or most posts), this meant getting very long and useless lists of closely related messages of mine.

And yes, I fully agree: the search function was really bad in the last times of the fair forums... At least for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines