• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

sloooooow

Advocate ,
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rarely see the extreme slowdowns people talk about, but when I do it's quite nostalgic.

screenshot_03.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you refering to the individual forum subjects being slow (as in webX days)? Or are you referring to inactivity?

As for number one I can't see anything loading any slower than normal.

AS for the second . I believe with all the fussing about the forums, and brosque treatment of new people accidentally coming to wrong forum. The regulars have succeeded in driving a way new people to forums. (I think like some really want because they are PO'ed because they would update the webX system with new software.) And sme are making good on their promises to leave and are driving away other, that followed these people.

All this fussing and fuming is just making Adobe and Jive dig in deeper and is doing nothing but driving away users and contributors. Heck I've even noticed that previously I was having 40 to 50 slams a day against me. I am noticing may one evry 2 to 3 days recently. I guess they are figuring if Adobe won't or can't fix up the mess. They will leave the forums for low class people like me to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The regulars have succeeded in driving a way new people to forums.

yes. that's it. because there's not enough reasons for people to stay away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 24, 2009 Jul 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's hardly any regulars left to drive people away, PJ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just some of irregular peoples hang here.

Ansury wrote:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

Ansury wrote:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/16/ys_tilt.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said...

dave milbut wrote:

dec9 wrote:

Ansury wrote:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/16/ys_tilt.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 25, 2009 Jul 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ,

it's not that the "old guard" are driving folks away, they make that choice on their own.  Yes, they *could* get more polite answers at times, but I must say, I've never seen so many wrong turns into this forum!!  People are really lost and this forum (as a whole) apparently isn't easy for them to navigate.

For the "regulars", it's been quite diffucult to continue with all the problems and issues of this new forum.

The TOS have turned many away and have killed the Photography forum.

<edit> ... it just a rehash of all the new issues since the roll-out of this new look.

As far as you getting slammed, PJ, honestly, sometimes you need to read what you intend to post before you post it.  I do understand you are trying to be helpful, but it's not always accurate and that can be just as bad as not posting at all.  I am not trying to slam you here, just let you know why it would seem others might have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not always accurate and that can be just as bad as not posting at all.

it can be much worse than not posting at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

it's not always accurate and that can be just as bad as not posting at all.

it can be is much worse than not posting at all.

there I fixed that for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

I stand corrected! 

I wish he would.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2009 Jul 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen so many wrong turns into this forum!!  People are really lost and this forum (as a whole) apparently isn't easy for them to navigate.

Though I believe that the majority are just navigational problems on the part of the poster, maybe seeing CS4 and not realizing that there is more to that, than Photoshop, but the server does seem to "jump" people around, without explanation. I've been in one, and done my Reply To, only to hit Post Reply and end up at the other end of the "rabbit hole." I've had to do a dozen "Deleted" from those totally incorrect fora, and some in languages that I cannot even translate!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2009 Jul 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hmn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad, but true! and most of what's left is making every effort to drive everyone else away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but you're not biting are you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope I try to help when I can and after someone try a smart alek answer, I try to explain as best as possible  why, and try to smooth things over so we don't loose any more users.  One even thanked me for my explaination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why care? It's Adobe's problem. The worse it gets the more obvious it'll become that everyone HATES THESE CRAP FORUMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you can find One. Or create a new system system (on your own server) That's better Then its all we have.

Filemaker don't even have there own forums per se. They have links to user created newsgroups I am subscribed to one that is based in Austraila, because its the only thing out there. Although MS has a forum system similar to this it stays broken all the time and you get support through NNTP Groups. The web based group stay broken for months on end until someone at MS realizes it down, and that might be 2-6 months before it found out. I know because Iam subscribed to these groups.

While this system has more bugs than a roach motel, it does work. The only web based  forums that work better than adobe's is Apple's and they have a problem that adobe cured on this system where post are not threaded properly, each post even if it the 50th reply in a thread all have unique numbers just like this system did for the email notifications. And if I ma not mistaken They use a version of this sytem as well. (I might not have that right though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

…smooth things over so we don't loose any more users.

It's not like doling out welfare checks to meet a quota.

We're all happy to help out newbies too, but what is missing is the high quality exchanges among the more expert users.

Frankly, loosing a few who can't even find their way to the right forum or a few whose Adobe is broken, is not the kind of loss some of us are lamenting.

Regardless of how anyone may feel about any of the contributors we've lost, it would be nice to read the vary valuable contributions of names like (in random order) Gernot Hoffmann, Andrew Rodney, Marco Ugolini, Phosphor, Ann Shelbourne, Richard Rose, Welles Goodrich, Allen Wicks, Peter Figen, and probably scores or at least dozens of others I could come up with given enough time to dig through my memory.

Even the roars of lions who haven't quite left, like Jeff Schewe and Conrad Chavez, have become scarcer and more isolated by virtue of not finding suitable echoes in this decimated community.

Imagine forums where the only active voices are PJ and a handful of newbies for whom he may or may not have "smoothed things over".

Realistically, this can't be undone.  The damage was serious, pernicious and permanent.  It is done.  Adobe killed the forums just like they squeezed the life out of the Adobe Studio Exchange.

I won't even accuse Adobe of acting with malice aforethought.  It was pure old-fashioned incompetence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

It was pure old-fashioned incompetence.

But it's the Jive way!  It's new and improved!  Got another 404 today...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't pin the blame for the bad decision making on Jive.  We're well past that.

That burden rests squarely on the shoulders of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

You can't pin the blame for the bad decision making on Jive.  We're well past that.

That burden rests squarely on the shoulders of Adobe.

ding! winnah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're all happy to help out newbies too, but what is missing is the high quality exchanges among the more expert users.

Now, this is an observation that I can get on board with.

In my fora, many contributors have gone. Some, because of the forum changeover, and some for unknown reasons.

Still, we have some of the "experts" coming back and the discussions are starting up again.

One of the things that I miss are the more aesthetically oriented questions. There are far fewer of those now. Mostly, it's "hey, my PrPro 1.0 crashes with Win7, build XXXX. What's up with this POS [Point of Sale?} software?" Now, a sticky saying that even CS4.1 is not certified for Win7 yet, might help - or it might not. Whenever someone comes with a real aesthetic question, I seize the opportuntiy to get the discussion going. That is what I miss. Still, I try to help with the common technical problems and even write up Tips & Tricks, so a simple link will suffice. [One thing that I have suggested is a Tips & Tricks for the PrPro fora, as many hate the idea of going to the PrElements' forum for ANY info, even though the answer is there. Heck, I write most of these from the perspective of PrPro and then try to adapt them down to PrE.]

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

To satisfy my curiosity, can you be a bit more specific, as to the fora, that you observe this?

I've seen allusions to this elsewhere, so I am not doubting you. I am just not seeing what you describe.

Please elaborate, if you would.

Hunt

PS, I want to stay the heck away from those fora!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines