• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Small niggles

Advocate ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As requested, a thread for annoying little things that we hope can be easily fixed - not the biggies like failing to go back to where you last read, being logged out mid-post, lack of NNTP etc - just niggly little things.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2007641#2007641

Sorry folks, but word has come down from above that abuse of the point system is counter-productive. There are management types that actually believe some users see points as an incentive to provide a quality answer, and that they wouldn't do so without the points, but that's not a widely held opinion among hosts. Nevertheless, I have to lock the thread, and warn you that at some point there will be official sanctions for those who post threads with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"1000 points of light"

GHWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God Bless Texas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, what Dave said.  Especially the last line.

and..

Jive you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emoticons/smilies.

Would like an option to turn off the graphic smilies in the forum.

More importantly, they do not get sent in the email notifications. It really should send text-based emoticons in the emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

Emoticons/smilies.

Would like an option to turn off the graphic smilies in the forum.

More importantly, they do not get sent in the email notifications. It really should send text-based emoticons in the emails.

come on man! emoticons! you working up a sweat about smilies? if you don't want to use them don't use them. the menu for them takes up little space.

My goodness. The sudden dreaded log out in the middle of posting is the most important And second having to log in every 4-24 hrs is the next.

They need a permanent cookie not tied to the adobe store. That let you stay logged on for 30 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

come on man! emoticons! you working up a sweat about smilies? if you don't want to use them don't use them. the menu for them takes up little space.

No, I don't work up a sweat about them, it is just niggly little thing, to use Kath's words. That is why I posted it in the "Small niggles" thread. I am not talking about the menu, either. Many typed emoticons get replaced automatically while typing,       . I didn't use the menu at all for those. I think having the choice for viewing would be nice (even WebX offered that), but in either case, emoticons should be sent out via the email notifications. Haven't you noticed that this doesn't happen?

As for your other points, they are much to important for the Small niggles thread - and are already covered in multiple threads anyway.

[Edit: I may be misremembering WebX's smilie feature]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

No, I don't work up a sweat about them, it is just niggly little thing, to use Kath's words. That is why I posted it in the "Small niggles" thread. I am not talking about the menu, either. Many typed emoticons get replaced automatically while typing,       . I didn't use the menu at all for those. I think having the choice for viewing would be nice (even WebX offered that), but in either case, emoticons should be sent out via the email notifications. Haven't you noticed that this doesn't happen?

As for your other points, they are much to important for the Small niggles thread - and are already covered in multiple threads anyway.

[Edit: I may be misremembering WebX's smilie feature]

WebX allowed you turn off Emoticons or on. But that was for your preference. (you didn't see the graphical version if you didn't want.

But in the webX the email notifications You didn't see them either. In fact  in Webx notications there was no copying of the text of the message. just a notice about a response has been given for such and such and then the link. Only now has there been any details.

One thing different on webX there might be 50 responses to a thread. but you click on an one of them took you to the last response.  In this at least when you click on a link in notification it takes you to that exact thread they quote. I'd say that's an improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

One thing different on webX there might be 50 responses to a thread. but you click on an one of them took you to the last response.  In this at least when you click on a link in notification it takes you to that exact thread they quote. I'd say that's an improvement.

Yes. And it is the method I am using to return to the last read/unread message in a thread - but it only works for threads/forums that I am subscribed to. And of course, that brings up a biggie that has been posted in multiple threads .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in the webX the email notifications You didn't see them either.

Email notification with webX was not meant to be a replacement for

NNTP...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a pretty valid (minor) issue, like this thread is intended for, if even a text 🙂 smilie guy doesn't show up in place of a graphical one in emails.  Intarwebs communication is already easy enough to take someone's writing the "wrong way" even with emotional indicators that they're joking, or whatever.

There's a difference between,

You suck!!!

and

You suck!!!   (for email users, there's a winky-smilie thing there)

and it's PATHETIC if Jive's crap emails don't show anything in place of an icon.  Every day it seems I learn of something new that makes the Jive curse even more dreadful.  Someone find me some new tech forums to visit..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. An awful lot of meaning is lost without the emoticons in email.

This one has been bothering me too.

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harb, I would bet that you replied by email - and that you did not change the subject. This brings up what /should/ be a small niggle.

If you view your message online, you'll notice that Jive reverted the subject from my changed "Re: Small niggles - emoticons" back to the original "Re: Small niggles". This is a small niggle - unless your email client depends solely upon the subject header for grouping rather than threading.

Since Jive does not send References: or In Reply To: headers, we have no choice but to use "group by" subject to get any semblance of threading.

Jive should not modify the subject lines of incoming emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I had no clue that this was even the same thread...

These small niggles can really get to ya!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harb, I would bet that you replied by email...

Jive should not modify the subject lines of incoming emails.

Mark, I don't quite understand where you're going with this. You complain (as I have) that email notifications carry neither

In-Reply-To: nor References: headers, and you acknowledge that this means the only way email users have to achieve some form of

threading is to sort by subject. If you then change the subject, this quasi-threading falls apart. I now have a new thread called

'[Forum comments] Re: Small niggles - subject changes' in which the OP refers to 'Harb' - whose post is in some other quasi-thread

not immediately visible in my newsreader. I'd have to do a search to find the post you're referring to.

It's not just Jive that shouldn't modify subject lines - posters shouldn't either, until such time as those headers are fixed.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of which serves to illustrate my point. I have normally refrained from changing the subject since I discovered the problem, but I had a feeling I could catch it in the act in here, so I thought I'd sneak one in.

It also serves to show why I have ammended my sigfile to include Jive-editing disclaimer. I typically only use it in groups forums that don't discourage them.

But I won't change the subject anymore before the headers are fixed 🙂

--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' 🙂
This message was processed and edited by Jive.
It shall not be considered an accurate representation of my words.
It might not even have been intended as a reply to your message.

Message was edited by: Mark A. Boyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for deleting post 42. i actually went to look to report myself for profanity, but oddly, it seems you can't report your own post. a small niggle in itself.

if a user were to post say personal info then realize that they screwed up, they couldn't report it themselves. they'd have to hope some kind stranger would come along and report it for them. the report abuse button, should be on for all posts at all times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

thank you for deleting post 42. i actually went to look to report myself for profanity, but oddly, it seems you can't report your own post. a small niggle in itself.

42? Isn't that my post calling the Jive developers a bunch of amateurs? (Well, almost all my posts probably do that, but still.)

Maybe I could edit it to add some profanity in there, if you'd like. [big obnoxious smiley here, for email users]

Would be nice to have a way to ask admins to delete posts that you can no longer edit.

Of course, it would be nicer if the Jives that created this thing didn't prevent you from editing at all (after a reply?), and instead just posted a "last modified" timestamp.  Like a normal forum does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

if a user were to post say personal info then realize that they screwed up, they couldn't report it themselves. they'd have to hope some kind stranger would come along and report it for them. the report abuse button, should be on for all posts at all times.

Wouldn't a personal message to JC be more fast and efficient? I think that even posting in the "Report spam in messages" thread (where John has repeatedly asked to report spam/abuse and other things needing urgent attention, instead of using the "Report abuse" button) would be faster.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't a personal message to JC be more fast and efficient?

sure would. but i wouldn't expect more than a handful of people to know that that's possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

sure would. but i wouldn't expect more than a handful of people to know that that's possible.

No more than a handful of people know that they can send personal messages to other posters? I think there is at least one thread in which some people have complained about this possibility...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

dave milbut wrote:

No more than a handful of people know that they can send personal messages to other posters? I think there is at least one thread in which some people have complained about this possibility...

i think you missed my point... how many know who jc is or why he should care if they had typed personal info in a post. wouldn't it be easier to just hit the button and select "personal information in post" as the reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

i think you missed my point... how many know who jc is or why he should care if they had typed personal info in a post. wouldn't it be easier to just hit the button and select "personal information in post" as the reason?

Maybe it would be easier, but certainly not more efficient than posting in the "Report spam..." forum, with a visible link at the top of the page...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did we mention wasted space? Here's my entire window, minus chrome, on my home machine. You know, we're not the target audience, if those mythical beasts need a great big peaceful rest for their eyes after they read a couple of lines of text and get a real buzz from endless scrolling.

screenshot_07.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath, talking of space, this is how this message box looks in my 4:3 screen; I can just barely see the end of the box. No Post Message buttom, not even the beginning of the message I'm replying to, nothing. And the situation is even worse in my laptop.

Message box.jpg

Surely those wanting to post lengthy messages can scroll when writing them, for the benefit of the majority of us? And yes, I know many of my messages are anything but brief, but I don't mind scrolling while writing them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

this is how this message box looks in my 4:3 screen; I can just barely see the end of the box. No Post Message buttom, not even the beginning of the message I'm replying to, nothing. And the situation is even worse in my laptop.

Surely those wanting to post lengthy messages can scroll when writing them, for the benefit of the majority of us? And yes, I know many of my messages are anything but brief, but I don't mind scrolling while writing them...

I agree but, until they fix it, just drag the bottom up by the hatched corner.

Takes less than a second out of your life and you can be mentally composing your reponse as you do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines