• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

So what kind of glitch would create this post?

Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yesterday after five I was at work, and logged into the Adobe forums. Today, I went to my profile to look at the threads I posted in yesterday, and I found a post I didn't make under my name:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6071240#6071240

The creepiest part of this, for me, is that I actually know rather more than the average bear regarding theories of archaic Pacific migration. I mean, lots more, courtesy of a hardass anthropology professor, some years ago. And I've gone on record on the Internet, recently, in forums where they care a lot about theories of Oceanic migration, that I don't care all that much about theories of Pacific migration. So I know that that is not a post I'd make.

I'm guessing that this is a Jive issue, not someone very carefully messing with my head. Have there been recent reports of "Hey, that's not my posting style!"?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel,

Indeed.

It was last reported a month ago in this thread,

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1368332?tstart=0

and no explanation has been found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yours is the second. I'll pass this along to Jive.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2014 Feb 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another one - reply #3 in a discussion in the Creative Cloud forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6076126#6076126

John T Smith definitely did not post that. The OP in that thread did.

Edit: no issue with thread. JTS confirmed that he did post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Waller wrote:

Here's another one - reply #3 in a discussion in the Creative Cloud forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6076126#6076126

John T Smith definitely did not post that. The OP in that thread did.

This is definitely a Jive bug.

It appears in JTS's history of postings so either his account is hacked or he DID post that message for his own personal information.

Only he can confirm this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears in JTS's history of postings so either his account is hacked or he DID post that message for his own personal information.

Or a Jive bug has incorrectly linked his username with the post ID. Not in that case though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, are you referringi to post 558 "maybe it wasn't on purpose..."?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, 558 is the one, adobe-admin.

I wonder if this is happening only to InDesign forum regulars? Is it really just me and Uwe?  Or are we the only people who noticed?

Lastly: when I say that I spend a lot of time posting about Oceanic migration, I was serious. To have that particular post under my name is kind of embarassing. Any chance that we can find the poster who actually said that, and put it under that poster's identity? Or otherwise expunge it from my posting history? No real rush about it, but if my Pacific clients happen to find me saying that their ancestral voyaging heroes "may very well have been able to fish" then I might have some awkward explaining to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel Cherney wrote:

I wonder if this is happening only to InDesign forum regulars? Is it really just me and Uwe?  Or are we the only people who noticed?

Just curious, Joel, but did you read anything in this thread besides adobe-admin's answer?  Examples of others experiencing similar problems have been given.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel,

I have participated in that referenced thread, but had not seen your *post*, or Rod's reply to it, until I followed your link. That too is odd.

As Noel points out, it seems that atleast one other user is having similar, appearing in the Photoshop>General Discussions forum (referenced by Noel).

Until this thread started, I had not heard of such, at least since the change to Jive.

As for the post with your name - that can be Deleted, and i will be glad to do that for you. Just let me know - you can PM me, from my profile, and I will handle that for you.

Really, really odd that a bogus post should be attributed to your ID, especially considering your background. That almost sounds like a prank, but I cannot imagine how someone could do that? Mabye Adobe-Admin, or Dave Merchent will have some thoughts on the "how."

Good luck, and just let me know what you'd like me to do.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I also seem to recall another thread in which someone did this on purpose on a fellow user and just for fun,.but gave up trying to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That almost sounds like a prank, but I cannot imagine how someone could do that?

I don't know much about the Jive backend, but I can easily imagine a vulnerability somewhere in Jive that would allow such spoofing. What I can't imagine is an Evil Hacker who'd want to spoof my identity, and use my login as a sock-puppet to say thoughtless stuff about Oceanic settlement, whose fakeposting would be so, well, mild.  Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.  It's much easier to assume that posts made by other people are accidentally being associated with our user IDs, as John Waller suggests.

I'll send you a PM so you can clear my name - thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much about the Jive backend, but I can easily imagine a vulnerability somewhere in Jive that would allow such spoofing.

In fact if this is yet another hack then I can guarantee you that the heads would roll at Adobe.  They simply can't afford to have another hacking scandal within such a short period when they did a lot of changes to make life a hell for everybody here on these forums to stop further damage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Separate the Forums from adobe proper.

Servers on a totally unrelated server use a totally different different password.

And Fire Jive there are other companies that have forum software that don't have the trouble Jive does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

Separate the Forums from adobe proper.

Servers on a totally unrelated server use a totally different different password.

And Fire Jive there are other companies that have forum software that don't have the trouble Jive does.

i agree with you.  forums should be for everybody - whether they are using Adobe products or not;  Website login should be for people who are currently using Adobe products or intend to use it or buy it online from Adobe.  People should actively register for main website use;  It should not be automatic just because someone is using Forums.

It is dangerous to mix forums with main website.  In fact silly if my opinion matters!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

use a totally different different password.

Someone got it up their butt that the buzzway to make money in the 2010s is;

Cloud Services

The central tenet of having the net ubiquitously at your beck and call is that you access everything seamlessly anywhere with one identification process.  The implication is that it has to be secure.  But implication is all it is!

We see the reality with the state of the art of technology today.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel,

I don't know much about the Jive backend, but I can easily imagine a vulnerability somewhere in Jive that would allow such spoofing. What I can't imagine is an Evil Hacker who'd want to spoof my identity, and use my login as a sock-puppet to say thoughtless stuff about Oceanic settlement, whose fakeposting would be so, well, mild.

In this case, I feel certain that we can rule out any malice - however it does not explain what DID happen, in that case. Knowing the posting party, I say that something else happened, with zero nefarious intent. Wish that we knew HOW it happened, but seems like the other examples that Noel linked to - something is wrong under certain circumstances, but so far, no one knows what that is.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

but seems like the other examples that Noel linked to - something is wrong under certain circumstances, but so far, no one knows what that is.

This is really worrying because as long as this uncertainty remains unresolved, Adobe infrastructure remains to be under constant attack and solution very difficult to find.  No respectable corporation would allow this to remain unresolved for too long.

Whatever it may be, this should be resolved within 24 hours otherwise the hackers will run riot on these forums and Adobe's main website.  Clearly something is wrong but nobody knows about it is even more wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

No respectable corporation would allow this to remain unresolved for too long.

You may be living in the past and/or have a misconception that a corporation in 2014 cares whether it's "respectable".

Did the loss of customer account info hurt Adobe's stock price?  No, it's old news, hardly a blip.  The cloud goes on, the subscriptions go on.

Nobody really cares to know why anything is wrong with anything any more.  Inasmuch as the 20th century was (on and off) an era of excellence, the new millenium so far seems to have embraced nothing more than mediocrity.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2014 Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will move the thread out of public view so that Jive can take a look at it before that post gets deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why should this thread be deleted, if I may ask? Have we lost the right to report what we think is wrong?

Wouldn't it be better to post an official response from Adobe/Jive about this issue (and several others, for that matter)? Have Adobe/Jive got so infatuated with their power that they think they can keep this completely free service center running without the collaboration of the hundreds of users who contribute daily without expecting any compensation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I believe John is referring to the thread with the orphan post, the one Joel reported, in post #22; and this one will live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, yes, that's another possible interpretation of the message from adobe-admin (and we don't know for certain if that's JC still using that screen name). If yours is the right one, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I can see yours would also be possible.

With that woolliness it must have been John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines