• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spam report thread too long by now?

LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The present Spam report thread [4] was initiated over a year ago when the old thread was 190 messages long, because "...the previous thread ... has served its purpose but is getting too long to be read comfortably on mobile devices". Well, the present thread has well exceeded that mark, as it was 422 messages long at the time I started to write this message.

Wouldn't it be time to let the present thread rest in peace by the same argument that led to the closing of the previous one? Not that I use mobile devices to visit these forums, but...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as a new one is created in  its place. Would be proper thing to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the present Spam thread is already 476 messages long. Time to replace it by a new one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Well, the present Spam thread is already 476 messages long. Time to replace it by a new one?

Good idea.  The maximum page length should be kept at 2 IMO.  The current one has 10; It will be nearly 11 by tomorrow unless you can act today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open a new thread, but I cannot close the existing one, and it would be pointless to have two parallel ones. Anyway, the previous Spam thread closed -apparently- by itself, so maybe it's just a matter of waiting for a few days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't really bother me how long the spam report topic is, as it is separated into pages (@ 50 posts?).

Still I think it is not a bad idea to start a new thread from time to time.  Feel free to start a new topic, and a passing moderator will close the old thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2011 Jul 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea of closing Spam threads when they get too long and replace them by brand new ones is not mine. As I said in my opening message here, it was the official argument for closing the [3] Spam thread when it was 190 messages long. Well, the [4] Spam thread got 422 messages long and there was no official reaction, so I opened this thread to find if this was just an oversight.

A few days later, the [4] Spam thread was archived (and therefore closed) for reasons that were never explained, and a replacement one was no opened, so I tentatively opened a new one, the present [5] version, explaining my reasons for doing so:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/837370?tstart=0

Now the [5] Spam thread is 476 messages long (at the time of writing this), and it has not been closed, archived or replaced, so I don't think any participant should open a replacement one. This should be done officially by someone with the power to close the present version.

On the other hand, if the reason given for closing the [3] version is no longer valid, and the length of Spam threads has no importance whatsoever, I think this should be clearly stated. As I access the forums through browsers, the length of the threads does not affect me in the least, and I have no idea if it affects participants accessing the forums by other means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition: I see that the [5] Spam thread is now locked, but I see no sign of a replacement one. Is such a thread considered no longer necessary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Addition: I see that the [5] Spam thread is now locked, but I see no sign of a replacement one. Is such a thread considered no longer necessary?

I am sure that was the long answer from Jochem.

Claudio, we are waiting for your starting Spam report thread [5].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

I am sure that was the long answer from Jochem.

Ah, that could be it...

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Claudio, we are waiting for your starting Spam report thread [5].

Ok, I will (6, by the way), but I think that, at a minimum, someone who has access to the now closed thread should add a message giving a link to the new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does the length of the thread matter one iota?

Isn't the important factor that the Admin is being notified of additions to the thread (e.g., by eMail)?

Right now I have a spammer to report and no thread to report it to....

Almost, sort of, quasi-legitimate somewhat on-topic spammer:  http://forums.adobe.com/people/Camille%20Wu

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already explained, the official reason to close Spam thread [3] and open Spam thread [4] was

"...the previous thread ... has served its purpose but is getting too long to be read comfortably on mobile devices"

If that reason no longer applies, I would think that we are entitled to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, of course, if my new thread is going to be kept, "Report spam" buttons should be modified to point to the new thread...

Just in case someone over there cares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claudio:

Spam report thread [5] locked at 477 messages (including Pat's last post with 'redirecting link') in 12 pages. Spam report thread [6] is now at 435 posts/Page 11...

Is it time-coming for version [7] ?

Not that I think it's your responsability but...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, why should it matter how long it gets?

Isn't the point that the admins are monitoring the traffic in that thread?

Making a new thread would help what, exactly?  They'd have to go through a bunch of work to make it do just what it's doing now.

No change is needed.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About two years ago we were given a reason that for me sounded quite reasonable, for closing the Spam thread when it was considered to be too long by at least one moderator. No other official reason, either in pro or against opening new ones, has ever been posted here, in spite of my asking several times. On the other hand, successive previous Spam threads have suddenly been closed without notice, without explanations, and without opening new ones.

On previous occassions, I have opened new Spam threads when time passed without anyone else doing it. I have stated very clearly that it is not my obligation to do so, and I see no reason to do so now, specially when the present Spam thread is well and alive -or was until a few minutes ago (I have just checked, and it still is).

One thing is to act as the guardian of the forum in Spanish, where there has never been a moderator, participation is scarce, and very few participants care about the future of the forum. The situation is completelly different here, and so I think that if anyone has good reasons to consider that the present Spam thread is too long, s/he is welcome to open a new one. I don't have any reason to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternative to closing the thread and starting a new one, how about deleting the old messages and keeping only the one month's reports?  Surely, old messages are of no use to anybody because they don't solve anything apart from spammer's accounts being disabled or deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

About two years ago we were given a reason that for me sounded quite reasonable

It might have been a problem to display the entirety of a 400+ post thread, but it seems that now the forum breaks threads up into only a certian number per page anyway, so maybe there is no reason now.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

About two years ago we were given a reason that for me sounded quite reasonable

It might have been a problem to display the entirety of a 400+ post thread, but it seems that now the forum breaks threads up into only a certian number per page anyway, so maybe there is no reason now.

-Noel

That doesn't explain the sudden closing of Spam threads without any explanation and no replacement. It's not the user's duty to keep an active Spam thread at all times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're making the assumption that there is a master plan, executed by people with everything under control.  LOL!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned earlier in this topic, the most efficient way of reporting spam/spammers is by using the Report link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

As mentioned earlier in this topic, the most efficient way of reporting spam/spammers is by using the Report link.

John Cornicello has requested several times for the URL of the spammer's profile to be posted in the Spam thread. If the reasons he gave for this in the past are no longer valid, the Spam thread could be closed and we could forget about it. I think that JC should clarify this matter himself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also remember the words of John, and for that reason I have used the thread (and those before it), never the report link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I use both because I understood that they serve different purposes. As I understand things, the Report link is helpful for removing quickly the offending message(s), while the thread permits JC to act on the spammer's account. But I insist, as things stand now, it's up to JC or other authorized person to clarify if the Spam thread is still useful, or can be terminated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is useful for me. I get email notifications of new messages in the thread and can jump in and take care of the account.

The "abuse" reports can include a variety of things and involve searching through the queue to find spam. Not efficient for me. So, yes, keep the thread. But I don't have any preference about keeping the long thread going or starting a new one. If someone starts a new one I'll close the old one, or delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines