• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Summarizing the most obvious problems of this new forum software - Thoughts about Khoros

Advisor ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please feel free to add your own remarks to this list...

- One line editor when replying (bug taken into account AFAIK).
- No way to distinguish unread messages (did I miss something ?). Any forum software can do that (with exception of Jive).
- No way to mark all messages read at the forum level or at the site level (did I miss something ?).
- No way to return from Preview : one can either Cancel (and loose the currently edited message) or Post. Usually, preview and edit field are displayed simultaneously. In some software, the preview is even updated in real time.
- Too much display space wasted causing unneeded and painful scrolling.
- No "Advanced search" feature.
- No real time spelling checker in editor.
- Topic lists not organized in pages but as a long endless page dynamically updated when scrolling. Unpractical IMHO.
- The "Edit Message" command is available in the ... drop-down menu AND in the More drop-down menu. Sometimes it works, sometimes it returns a "message not found" error (which is rather funny).

What is bothering me is that all these problems are not bugs (I'd prefer) but probably design decisions. Khoros is not a software that you install on your own server. It's a service. Changes cannot be made by the customer or by an in-house developer like with open source forum software. So, we may have to wait for fixes.

Interestingly enough, Khoros is not only a forum software. It's also a marketing and tracking tool. I encourage you to read this page : https://khoros.com/ :

Use Khoros to engage customers with:

• Contextually relevant campaigns that foster customer affinity and accelerate sales
  • Authentic peer-created content that inspires trust and reduces customer service costs
  • Real-time conversations that nurture customer relationships and boost customer satisfaction

So, maybe Jive was dropped for another reason than being a poor forum software ? Is solving our problems with Adobe software the primary goal of this move ? I'm not sure. Regarding Photoshop and Lightroom support, I therefore encourage everyone to move to Adobe Photoshop Family (https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family). You have a better (not saying good) chance to receive more useful answers there and to possibly get in touch from time to time with staff members.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JIVE, Khoros / Lithium are under the same company.  While JIVE is still actively maintained it no longer receives new features.  Hence the move to Khoros / Lithium.

I see that pagination has been added to long threads.  Yay!

This system contains a lot of tracking software.  Go to AdChoices in the footer and opt out of everything you don't want.  Then clear cookies.  In a few days, go to Manage cookies to see just how many new coolies this community software has generated.  I also use AdBlock Plus and UBlock. 

https://adblockplus.org/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add Privacy Badger and Disconnect extensions. Both prevent tracking by third-party sites. I don't have AdBlock Plus installed on my employer's computer (which is the one I am using at this moment), but I rarely, if ever, see ads on any site I visit unless I've specifically allowed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- I forgot to mention the lack of quoting options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah! i dont come here often, in part because of the forum software. i thought maybe i was doings oemthing wrong, or maybe it was a safari / chrome thing. add to the list:

no email when i check the box that says "emaila me when someone replies" i'll post something, then forget to check because of couse, no emails came to tell me to look. funny such a huge comeany like adobe has such amateur forum software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- I have to sign in each time I return to the forum. I don't see any option allowing to avoid this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

" I have to sign in each time I return to the forum. I don't see any option allowing to avoid this."

There is no option except to keep your browser open.  Closing your browser terminates the log-in session. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines