• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

That's a wrap from me!

LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have today posted my last 'code' reply in this forum until such time as the user experience improves. As I provide a lot of revised code for other users I need to be able to edit posts to ensure I provide code solutions which are of quality and work for them. I cannot do that now as it takes far too much time, concentration and effort to continue do that. I make typo mistakes just like eveyone esle and need to put them right, especially in the event of where code is being posted.

I have no idea whose decison it was to scrap 'post editing' but it doenst work in circumstances where accuracy is a must. It may work in InDesign/Illustrator forums etc because no code is ever posted, just comments, which if contain a few errors it will not effect the overall experience of users. I would have thought that would have been obvious to those at Adobe making the decisions, but obviously not.

Hopefully someone at the wheel will see sense at some point. I see little point in posting to say 'I could help you but due to the restrictions of the forum I actually cant'. It seems Adobe dont actually want to help their users and are making it virtually impossible to participate for those contributors that want to provide guidance and advice for thsoe less experienced.

All I can do is quickly advise, like 'Use Flex or Grid' but thats not really going to be much help. Id rather be in a position where I can actually provide a working example of code or even re-write the users code so it works for them but thats not going to be possible for the forseeable future.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sympathize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very sorry you feel that way but sadly this is falling on deaf ears.  If you wish this to be seen by the concerned Adobe team, I can move this to Using the Community where it belongs. 

If typos are a problem, why don't you paste code into a JS Fiddle or CodePen before replying here?

"It may work in InDesign/Illustrator forums etc because no code is ever posted..."

Untrue.  Scripting is not unique to Dreamweaver.  It's widely used & discussed in other product boards including Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat / PDF forms, InDesign, Bridge and more.

https://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshop/scripting.html

https://www.adobe.com/devnet/illustrator/scripting.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/scripting.ug.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because its not hugley helpful. Sometimes the code is only a few lines long BUT even so mistakes still creep in. I've seen it in here myriads of times, by the most experienced of users, where a closing > { } or some other minor corruption has ocurred which will render the code completely useless. Shall we have 6 or 7 similar attempts to post the correct code so the thread then become an unmanagable mess and difficult to navigate?? Why am I expected to jump through hoops by going out to fiddle or codepen just to post some simple code which then can't be corrected? Perhaps Adobe would like to pay for my consultancy, I'd happily waste as much time as they like then.

There has been no reason stated other than 'abuse'. What abuse can happen or has happened? I've seen nothing and I spend copious amounts of time in this forum or did do. If a user can initially post to the forum, which may contain 'abuse' then how is de-activating the 'editing of posts' feature going to solve anything. Is this Covid related, you know it seems everyone is going a little bit crazy and common sense has evaporated.

Now onto the question of scripting in other programs. Are you trying to convince me that scripting is at the forefront of layout programs such as InDesign or Illustrator or image editing programs like Photoshop, because it isnt. You may ocassion use it but rarely, whereas its key to web-devlopment and is used almost exclusivley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 I mentioned Fiddle & CodePen because they are convenient.  Use them or not.  Your choice.

#2 Bots abuse the system wherever they can.  That's not something a regular forum user would notice. 

#3 At one time, there were dedicated scripting forums for various products. When Khoros came online, Adobe combined them with the regular product forums.  Discussions about scripts are everywhere.  Regardless of whether or not they are used exclusively, scripts are scripts.  So you're preaching to the choir here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been in graphic designer for over 40 years using InDesign/Illustrator /Photoshop and Quark along with various other bits of software and probably used a dedicatated script only a hand full of times so NO its not something that is necessary on a regular basis for DTP, whereas not a day or even an hour goes by when you dont need to write code in web-develpement. You seem to have caught the 'carzy virus' much like Adobe, unless its some kind of indoctrination that they require from moderators?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If bots can abuse the system then they can post to the forum.....maybe that's coming next 'no posts at all allowed' in the forum, it wouldnt surprise me given Adobe seems to be so clueless these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I didn't make the policies.  Maybe @Sil.C  can shed some light on this next week. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not  suggesting  you made the policies, all I would request is clarification from someone at Adobe as to what and why the policy was instigated because the suggestions so far, to me at least, do not make sense - they are just wild guesses from moderators, who also dont seem to know the full truth either.

What is it with the 'cloak and daggger' approach from Adobe, surely someone official could categorically explain the situation so everyone knows and can make a decision about if this forum is even worth bothering about any longer  in terms of being a provider of solutions, which has now been made difficult because there will more likely than not be small errors in code that is posted, which are only discovered after the solution has been posted. This will lead to double, triple or quadruple postings to correct those errors, instead of being able to correct the original post.

Already we are seeing some nonsense (difficult to understand posts) possibly beacuse there is no way to correct them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didnt mean to mark this as correct, was just looking under the 'more' dropdown to see if anything had changed and accidentally hit 'mark correct'

Last time l clicked onto the 'more' button on desktop there were zero options to choose from. Im currently writing this on mobile where it seems there are some options listed, rather inconsistent but the forum since day has always had issue which have not improved a great deal over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@osgood_  I have replied to your older post on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your answer makes no sense, Silvia.

If someone wants to create a new post to the forum they can, be they an 'abuser' or a genuine poster. So you stop an 'abuser' editing their current post, by removing the 'edit post' option so what stops them from creating an entirely new post containing spam or adversting features, as you call it? Not that I've even seen that many in this forum and I'm here perhaps more than most.

All you are doing is making it harder for long time contributors like myself who post a lot of code centric solutions, which nearly always need to be edited because small mistakes, which can be crucial to that code working, creep in. If these are not corrected it makes those posts unusable to your forum users, which contributors like myself, are trying to provide some guidance to. I'll probably eventually stop contibuting any code solutions, other than making some general comments, which arent usually very helpful, because its becoming too tiresome.

Maybe go back and at least put that view to your seniors because its not them that spend substantial amounts of time in forums but those like myself, so we know what is required. If a post is made at the weekend then a moderator is hardly likely to see it for hours and hours. This past weekend the only contributors in this forum were myself and Nancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines