Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The purpose of this forum

May 17, 2009 May 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had understood that the purpose of this forum was the same as in the old forums – to comment on the forums, their content and their shortcomings.

To this end, when a comment, criticism or observation has been made that should suffice. There is no need for things to degenerate into petty squabbles.

I must confess to a bit of levity now and then myself, but now I wish I'd kept things factual. The amount of superfluous chat going on here makes it worse than the "other place".

How are those responsible for knocking this Jive thing into shape supposed to spot the legitimate comments among all the noise?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and why can't I edit my post?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that you have a reply, you should be able to, unless, that was one of those odd Logout! moments.

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No and no.    

Edit: I can edit this, but only until someone replies. Is it because I marked the original post as "not a question"?

noedit.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

No and no.    

Edit: I can edit this, but only until someone replies. Is it because I marked the original post as "not a question"?

noedit.jpg

No, it's because, in another stroke of the Jive Software kids' boundless stupidity, they put the Edit Button for the Original Post outside the boundaries of the post itself, in the Actions box on the right side of the page.

Dumb.

AAAAAAAAA_OP_EditButton.jpg

EDIT:  Of course, it disappears from the right-hand column as soon as someone replies.

Message was edited by: Ramón G Castañeda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know?

Well I was just able to.

Message was edited by: Phillip Jones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

…The amount of superfluous chat going on here makes it worse than the "other place".

This has indeed become a sort of Mosh Pit, as an alternative to the other place, a situation fostered by the many faults and shortcoming of the new forums.  I don't see how this could have been avoided, given the magnitude of the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John Joslin wrote:

I had understood that the purpose of this forum was the same as in the old forums – to comment on the forums, their content and their shortcomings.

To this end, when a comment, criticism or observation has been made that should suffice. There is no need for things to degenerate into petty squabbles.

I must confess to a bit of levity now and then myself, but now I wish I'd kept things factual. The amount of superfluous chat going on here makes it worse than the "other place".

How are those responsible for knocking this Jive thing into shape supposed to spot the legitimate comments among all the noise?

I'm quoting JJ's openign post because it would be a pity if off topic messages deviate our attention from his most important initiative.

I am astonished, confused and irritated by the number off completely off topic messages (and now complete threads) that have been been posted lately here, even from people I have come to known and respect through the years in these forums. It amazes me to see so many adult, knowledgeable, and normally sensible persons behaving like a group of spoilt children.

I am not in the least pleased with the mess in which "our" beloved and missed forums have been transformed, and have said this repeatedly and very clearly since the first day of the trial period. I may have used irony and even sarcasm more than once to express my disatisfaction, but I have always tried to avoid falling into tantrums. I have accepted the idea that Adobe is not willing to go back this time (which is not the same than saying that it is "impossible" to go back), so I have done my best to contribute to turn what we got into the most useful, and hopefully pleasant, place to continue doing what we did in the old forums.

I know that, due to the Panzer strategy that was used to implement this new and not improved version of the forums, we have lost many (definitely, not "several") very valuable contributors, and that we probably will loose many more -I have been inclined myself to give up more than once (and I am not implying by this that I consider myself a particularly valuable contributor). Almost all of those who have left have done it in silence, or at least, with a short farewell message. Let us please follow their wise example, and let us stop transforming this forum, which was always a place for high level discussions about the forums (although occasionally interrumped by atypical outbursts of childish behaviour) into a copy of "the darkest side of the Lounge" -an expression I have used more than a couple of times lately.

I cordially invite all of those who think that littering this forum is a good way to help in making the most of what we got, to move their tantrums to that other subforum where they will be more easily tolerated, and even welcome by those who are missing "all the fun".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines