• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Top participants

Advocate ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care, but I'm intrigued by some of the weird and 'wonderful' ways of these forums. So I went to a 'Top Participants' box and clicked 'show all participants'. I wonder if I'm the first to bother with this - it really is extraneous fluff.

Anyway, rather than all participants, I got the names of the top three only. Followed by a list of posts by a whole range of entirely different people. I'd really love to get rid of these speed-consuming twiddly bits, that don't even work as advertised, and get these forums stripped back to what is quick and useful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked at that too, Kath, and have been just as perplexed.

Now, I know I may be a little more rash and brash and impulsive than some, and I'm very possible talking out my manhole here, but as I'm so far given to understand, these forums are built of modules that are supposed to be reasonably easy to turn on & off, or disable/enable, or add/remove.

Were it me in the drivers seat, I be disabling just about everything except what it takes to run threads and dialogues here. Strip 'er down to the barest of bones.

That would be avatars & profile display, the ignoble points system, the level meters, history, "More Like This", "Top Participants", shoot, I'd even try to get rid of the "Full Text Editor" to see how it went....all that stuff.  I'd like to see how things run without the fluff.

Then I'd start adding them back in. First one...test it, tweak it, see how things go, see what effect it has on performance. Then another, and so on.

I'm so bloody sick of the slowness I can't even understand why the hell I keep checking in several times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos±four dots wrote:

I'm so bloody sick of the slowness I can't even understand why the hell I keep checking in several times a day.

Like me, you are wishfully thinking that you will suddenly find yourself in the old forums again like last time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the forums are run by a group that answers to, well, marketroids.  They want certain things in the forums, or want to experiment with certain features in the forums.  I hope that they can conclude the experiments soon and we can get back to a more professional forum experience - but that's just me.

Yes, the practical engineering solution would be to turn the extras off, get the performance up, then slowly turn them back on until it breaks, fix that, repeat (mostly done on a test server, of course).  But we're not dealing with just engineers here.  Also, there are/were some practical concerns that you aren't aware of (heck, they didn't even give me all the details).

It's all being worked on.  Just not exactly the way you or I might tackle it.  Have patience, even our previous forums weren't an overnight success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that they can conclude the experiments soon and we can get back to a more professional forum experience - but that's just me.

YES!!! : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Unfortunately, the forums are run by a group that answers to, well, marketroids.  They want certain things in the forums, or want to experiment with certain features in the forums.

Ach...there is so much nastiness I want to spew at the "marketroids" right now it's scary. I'd like somebody to send them in groups of 3 to my office beginning tomorrow morning at 7:00 am EDT. I'll find the predominant guilty parties and send them spinning on their butts across the parking lot out front.

Chris Cox wrote:

Yes, the practical engineering solution would be to turn the extras off, get the performance up, then slowly turn them back on until it breaks, fix that, repeat (mostly done on a test server, of course).  But we're not dealing with just engineers here.  Also, there are/were some practical concerns that you aren't aware of (heck, they didn't even give me all the details).

It's all being worked on.  Just not exactly the way you or I might tackle it.  Have patience, even our previous forums weren't an overnight success.

See, this IS engineering stuff. How can the marketing mooks and bean swallowers possibly have the audacity to think they know what's best, and how best to tackle and approach problems? Sure, some of them may understand a bit of what's under the ghhood, but if they were really THAT good at it, they'd be IT staffers and not hucksters and cashiers.

I'm trying to be patient, and I have the most curious mix of respect and pity for John C, for what he's having to do and the position he's in right now. I hope this doesn't kill him dead for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

possibly have the audacity to think they know what's best,

you don't know many marketing people do you?

i actually know people who were entirely normal until they finished their degrees in marketing and started working in the field. alas. they were all human, once...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The participants box can be removed (at least from the default overview view)  It was done here and replaced with something more useful:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But WHO removed that fluffing box and replaced it with the "PREMIERE LINKS" box? I think I asked you that before, but you must have missed it.

If you say a host can do it, maybe I could ask your help in helping me to identify the host(s) who are prowling the Photoshop Forums.  Our old regulars OzPeter and Neil Keller have gone missing, and whoever has been taking care of some of the grunt work in those forums hasn't identified themselves, as far as I've seen.

I already created sets of "Associated Links" for both of the Photoshop forums and sumbitted them a full month ago—as requested—and they have yet to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos±four dots wrote:

But WHO removed that fluffing box and replaced it with the "PREMIERE LINKS" box? I think I asked you that before, but you must have missed it.

The Prermiere Hosts arranged it.   I avoid the PS forums so I dont know who the Hosts are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also ... the 'top participants' shown on the Discussions page of this forum are not the same, or not in the same order, as on the Overview page. As discussed-to-death (sorry), the two pages are virtually identical.

And you can get from Discussions to Overview in one click, but not back, you have to go via an actual thread.

alberteinstein.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines