• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transfer of Licenses: Now what?

Contributor ,
Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who has used Adobe products for many years, I recently found that Adobe has changed their Transfer of License policies.

Individuals are now limited to four (4) Transfers of License in their LIFETIMES!  Adobe also requires a copy of a photo i.d. for each transfer! You also need to provide original proof of purchase!

1.) I recently upgraded to the Creative Suite from my individual Adobe products. Naturally, I want to transfer the licenses on my stand-alone software.

2.) As a self-employed designer, the only "photo i.d." that I possess is my driver's license. I am reluctant to give out my driver's license number to ANYONE, much less a software vendor. I should note that I have been a registered Adobe customer since Photoshop was at version 3, and all of my software is registered and appears on my Adobe account.

3.) I don't have proof of purchase for software I bought 5 years ago. Silly me: I would expect that registering my newly purchased products with Adobe would suffice.

4.)This must be something very new, as I transferred my Dreamweaver license a couple of weeks ago: I got a Case Number no problem from the Adobe Live Chat rep, filled out the form, and that was that.

It would seem to me that there is no longer any incentive for anyone to register any Adobe product. Activation will still work just fine. Why Adobe would opt to put their CUSTOMERS - who are trying to "do the right thing" - through the wringer, is beyond me. So, I guess I'm stuck with licences for Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and Fireworks - all of which were purchased legally and at retail.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You missed the message back on the first page

Please note that this forum category is NOT for users seeking assistance with using Adobe products. It is for assistance with using these online forums only. If you are seeking assistance with an Adobe product or another Adobe service, click here and choose the proper category to post in.

I don't know where you can discuss this... but it is not here

Try this email address for feedback adbecare@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with John T., but must say THANK YOU, as I was unaware of this policy change. From Adobe's standpoint, I can kind of see what the purpose is, but was totally blind-sided by the change.

Appreciated, and good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this isn't the forum for this discussion, if you upgraded your 4 single applications to 4 CS Suite licenses, you do not have have any licenses left to transfer. If you upgraded one of your single applications to one CS Suite licenses you then have only 3 CS application licenses to transfer. Unless I am missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2011 Mar 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I bought the CS4 software - the full package and not an upgrade - from a retail source. Over the years I have both bought and sold Adobe software as my needs changed. I always registered it and used the TOL when needed. If I happen to buy any Adobe software in the future, I won't bother to register it - as I wouldn't be able to transfer the license due to the lifetime limits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Adobe would opt to put their CUSTOMERS - who are trying to "do the right thing" - through the wringer, is beyond me

it's the wall street way. we're the only ones who'll put up with this cr*p. pirates sure don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Individuals are now limited to four (4) Transfers of License in their LIFETIMES!  Adobe also requires a copy of a photo i.d. for each transfer! You also need to provide original proof of purchase!"

Is this documented anywhere on the web?  Did you ask them where can customers - current and future - read about this stupid policy?  If it is true what you say then in my opinion it is illegal in breach of people's privacy. They can lose it or that their systems can be hacked into then what?  Will Adobe compensate me if my ID is used to commit other criminal offenses?

I can never send my photo ID to anybody let alone Adobe.  It is crazy and bound to lose customers.

I haven't upgraded my Dreamweaver and Fireworks CS4 yet and I shall have to think twice before I do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't this apply to selling your old versions to another party after you decide to upgrade to a new version?

If most are like myself by the time I choose to upgrade it is a matter of being forced to due to the fact my computer software can no longer use it. And unless others decided to stay in the past its as cheap to keep it long enough to use the serial number to use to verify at your paid for upgrading rather than buying new the keep it only to reinstall. Any Adobe software unless you pay full price, you have to keep the old version  in case you have to reinstall.  I will have to update to latest version of DW and FW because on my new computer (MacBook Pro 17" i7 Intel with OSX.6.6) when OS7 comes out it will be Intel code only, absolutely no support for PPC code (even Rosetta will be ripped out) so any installers currently used for updates will not even run on OSX7.

So old software is when OSX7 comes will be good for paper weights.  If you don't think software companies don't want to dump universal Binary for Intel only to slim size of software and make easier to code, your not good at predicting the future When you buy a new Mac the lowest OS it you is the one that is available at time it was sold.

Is what doing Adobe right? No. Once a person has purchase Software (actually the license) you supposed to have the right to do as you wish with it. Now they have limited you to just keeping to verify the reason why you bought at upgrade price. If you bought a full price its worthless. It’s a sad commentary on a company when you have to be so money  Grubbing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It applies, apparently to ALL transfers. I understand the requirement to keep versions that qualify you for upgrades. I'm talking about transferring licenses (for me) to full standalone software versions after I have purchased the FULL suites separately. If I have CS4, I no longer need standalone versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said it just money Grubbing. Once y

ou bought the license you have the right to do with what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 04, 2011 Mar 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Like I said it just money Grubbing. Once y

ou bought the license you have the right to do with what you want.

the point of a license is you kinda don't have the "right" to do what you want. you either accept it or reject it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 04, 2011 Mar 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to continue discussing this issue, please do so in the identical thread in the Licensing forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines