• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Translate - How's It Working for You?

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the heck out of the "newish" Translate function in the forums, and in most cases, it has worked well. Depending on idioms, and the grammar of the poster, there have been a few "odd" words, but most are such that I can read around, and gather the meaning.

What are the feelings of others? Anything that needs to be brought to Adobe (or Jive's ?) attention?

Just curious,

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The translation widget is provided by Microsoft. Jive doesn't have anything to do with it. Not sure what "things" might be configurable that you are asking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it. I've been able to answer a question or two That I couldn't before unless I wanted to copy to ggogle Translate the paste back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not very sure if I like it or not; sometimes I can't understand the translation while at some other times the translation is reasonably good. In any case, this looks to me like the end of the localized forums; there should be no need for them now. Pity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use it, and like it... mostly... some things don't translate 100% at least to ME, but a LOT better than not understanding at all

I'm not sure, but I think that some of my answers to translated questions have even helped (the reason I say that I'm not sure is that translating back and forth with different languages is not always easy... sort of like my wife and I talking in "girl speak" and "boy speak" and wondering what the other is really saying)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 07, 2014 Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do use it and like it but I do wish it would remember my language.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use it, and generally things are intelligible.

Earlier, I used to copy the OP into Google Language Tools and answer through that in the original language.

Now, I normally read the translation and answer in English, often with a note about using the Translation button (which the reader hopefully understands).

Since I come across non English OPs rarely, I have still to see some feedbak to tell how well it actually works.

Like Claudio, I am in doubt about its blessing.

I still write (what may appear to be) in the original language sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I wanted to know - thanks everybody.

I had been doing the Copy/Paste/Copy/Paste, adding the US English "translation" for other English-speakers in the forum, but this has saved me quite a bit of time.

@ Adobe-Admin: I have not found anything that I *think* I would like to configure yet, but that might change. I kind of assume that MS will likely add new languages, over time, so will just be patient.

@ all others: thank you for responding. Your reactions are what I was curious about. So far, I really like it. The only concern that I have is that when Replying to a non-English-speaking poster, they might not see, or know, the Translate button,

Also, there HAS been a bit of "reading-between-the-lines," but I have only encountered one Translation, that I still could not make heads, or tails of - but then I encounter that all too often with posts, which are *supposed* to be written in US English... Of course, as US English is not MY first language - I'm from Mississippi - maybe the lack of understanding is all on MY end?

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A True Southerner .  Although I am from Va. People Jersey, or New York swear I sound like I am from Georgia  or Mississippi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

I understand completely. So long as they guess a state, actually IN the South, I seldom quiblle.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it.  In a few cases I am lost in the translation, so use the old method of copy and paste into Google translate.  The appear to be the same or very close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The big difference between Google Translate and the Microsoft widget is that Google

1. tells you what the original language was
  2. keeps the original text visible

I wish that at least 1. would be provided by the Microsoft translator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

Good points.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill for posing the question and to the others for commenting. I am Janice (nice to meet you all) and I work on the Localization team that enabled the widget on the forums. Let me comment on some of your suggestions.

Claudio, the international forums are still present. I do not know what the future plans are. I am sure John or someone from his team will make you aware of them well in advance.

All: Machine translation is better for some languages than others, and that seems to be true no matter the "brand" (e.g. google, systrans, bing, etc.). In my own experience, no computer translation application works well for Japanese, in spite of the fact that it is the most researched and studied and has been for decades. 😞

Little Pale Face: Can you explain more details about "remembering my language"? Do you mean the localization of the forums in general, or just that you chose a certain language for translation and would prefer not to have to click on the menu each and every time you want to translate a thread?

Jacob, Claudio: You can write in your language and other users can choose English from the widget menu.

Pat: the issues you bring up have nothing to do with Bing, but rather to the design and development of the widget on our part. I will discuss these features with the team to consider for the next iteration of the widget.

Bill: the translation widget is dependent on language detection/selection and we are discussing this now.

All: we will indeed be adding more languages over time! Bing supports many more languages. We just need to enable the widget and re-integrate into the forums. A bit of development work but will happen soon.

Thanks again for all your comments. I'll keep checking back for more feedback. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Janice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Janice, nice to meet you. Your highly informative message is most welcome. Quite often we have to accept changes without any explanation.

The reason for my comment on the localized forums is that I feel that they will soon become redundant, As you mention, one can read and write in one's own language if desired. And when I see a question in another language in a forum that was in English until a couple of weeks ago, I purposely write in Spanish to force the poster to use the translator as well...

We agree in that no translation program will do well al the time. At times, I have to translate a message to several languages until I get the point. But it's certainly better than nothing, and it does save considerable time to have one here.

Good job so far. Congratulations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

... I purposely write in Spanish to force the poster to use the translator as well...

I like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Janice,

Thank you for looking into this.

Just one little thing: I, and undoubtedly the largest (minority) number of posters write in English, so on average it would be more convenient to have that at the top of the list, instead of having to look for it and find it at the very bottom.

Concerning the quality of the translation: Up to now, I have found the translation into English fully intelligible, though sometimes amusing, regardless of language, and I have never thought that Japanese presented more of an issue than any of the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

Just one little thing: I, and undoubtedly the largest (minority) number of posters write in English, so on average it would be more convenient to have that at the top of the list, instead of having to look for it and find it at the very bottom.

That is a good point. Depending on where a post resides in my browser (usually open to nearly full-screen), the drop-down is off-screen, so I do have to scroll.

However, and as with many drop-downs on other Web sites for location (or language), I guess that I am sort of accustomed to head down the list for "United States," or "United Kingdom." Recently, with some software, I looked all over for United States, to finally locate it at the TOP - had not expected that...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JaniceC,

Thank you for those comments, and it is so nice to meet you, as well.

To date, I have been impressed with the capabilities of the widget. It has worked very well for me, and has saved me a bunch of Copy/Paste time.

I will be looking forward to any changes made, and thank you for your, and your team's efforts.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, Jacob, all

I will try share more information about the widget features in the future. After a nice holiday break, we are in the planning stages once again!

Keep the comments coming!

Happy New Year 2014 to all

Janice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buena idea, Claudio. Voy a seguir su ejemplo y comentar en español de vez en cuando para "obligar" el uso de la aplicación je je je.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JaniceC,

Well done. When I encounter Spanish, French or Deutsch, I try to translate by myself first, just to learn more. I can handle a bit of Spanish (though I more often encounter the Mexican version, unlike Claudio's more precise version), but other than order dinner, or the wines, when in France, or Germany, I am often lost. I am always working to try and improve myself - but now that I have the widget, I will have to refrain from being too lazy.

Have a great New Year, and the best fortune with the project.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines