• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What About Moderators in the New Forum?

Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the spam thread for awhile and you will see that moderation works well in these webx forums

You will also see messages concerning the LACK of moderation over in the cfusion side of things

Will the new forum software/structure allow for "this" moderation to continue, or will it fall away to "that" style of non-moderation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 316 Replies 316
Guide ,
Feb 23, 2009 Feb 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. I just checked and sure enough, nothing there to indicate a linkage.

On a related note, is there anyway to change your display name? I understand it should be unique, I'm just not sure if my current one is what I'd like to use. Not a huge deal, I'd live with it, but I figured since it's not my login it might be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I understand it should be unique,

no it shouldn't. only the login id NEEDS to be unique...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change your name on the Adobe system by going to http://www.adobe.com and clicking on Your Account at the very top of the page. Log in with your Adobe ID if asked, and then click on Edit Your Account Information.

And yes, the screen name is unique in the Adobe ID system.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I can't find the thread right off....

I'll use my name as the example.

My adobe forums id is Stanley Jones.
My screen name in Adobe.com is Stanley Jones.
I was prompted and have associated the two accounts.
When the change happens, I will be Stanley Jones in the forums, and my previous posts will be Stanley Jones.
I will log in to the adobe forums and to adobe.com with my email address. My id in the forums will be Stanley Jones and my screen name in adobe.com will be Stanley Jones.

Is that correct?

My own screen names do not have to be unique from each other, right? But can they also be different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 24, 2009 Feb 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a test message and also to subscribe to the thread for email purposes :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do we try to link our login details please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was part of the login process for you Nadia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely not, or Nadia wouldn't be asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath, the people that have been dropping test posts in here are Community Experts that have been being brought over to this side of the wall. They will be hosts in the new software in areas that are currently on the MM side, and need to be added to the host group here. Her account here is brand new, within the past week... so, yes, getting it linked was part of creating the account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a general question really.... My DW forum username is Nadia P
but to get into the backroom I'm Nadia Perre.

I just assumed (wrongly I guess), that I'd log into the DW forum with Nadia Perre. However, I'm not too worried about it anyway, because as I read in a different post, if I switch usernames, I lost the name for my previous posts.

Nadia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or have it got it all wrong again Dorothy? :-)
When I input my email address and password into the login details for the DW forum, I get logged in as Nadia P. Are you saying that should now be different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the posts from both sides are consolidated it will use the name on the Adobe ID account. So the posts from here should show up as Nadia P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just 10 minutes ago, went to my account at Adobe and what I'd missed was changing the screen name - found this by following a message by Rachel at groups.adobe :-)

I've cleared the cache, and am now showing up on the lists and in the DW with my full name - just as I wanted ... THANKS for sticking with me on this :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if every thread in this section is going to end up having long discussions about the "my-account-and-login-has gone-haywire" problem?

It's that old read-while-navigating bugaboo, in spades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably, until people stop having the problem, for better or for worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And please can we get rid of the "Community Expert" label?

It means absolutely nothing and I find its use exceptionally pretentious and irritating.
"Forum Host" is sufficient.

What the hell constitutes an "Expert" anyway?
The value of any advice proffered certainly does not depend on how frequently a contributor posts.

Everybody who contributes to these forums is an "Expert" in one field or another we just don't need to toot our own horn every time that we answer a question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people call me anal retentive when I complain about things not being just "so." That may be partially true, but there's almost always a logical reason when I react that way.

Chaos is a fun and important component of visual art and music.

It sucks eggs, however, when it mucks up what should be efficiently accessible information exchange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helping in the forums is only one expectation of the Experts group. From http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/ here is a short list:

* Engaging in peer to peer support in the Adobe forums
* Posting information and technical support in their favorite online community
* Writing articles for professional publications
* Presenting Adobe product presentations at conferences and user groups

I'd say they earn it... and have to keep earning it by reapplying at least annually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Labels like 'Community Expert' actually DO have value, but only if they're not simply associated with a post count. If the title is acquired only after demonstrating you know what you're talking about, then it be a reassurance to a new poster that the person giving the answer isn't some random nutter. Not that such crazies should be the norm, but it can still be helpful.

I agree though, that anything based on post count isn't helpful. I could be an idiot and still be a prolific poster, that doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The label "Community Expert" just smacks of complacency and conceit: both of which are abhorrent to me.

Either think of a better title or better still, drop the idea of using labels entirely.

One of the things that was really laughable that I noticed on one of my few excursions through the ghastly MM Forums was seeing Chris Cox (of all people!) being labelled as a "Junior Member".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Community Experts" and "Hosts" are not necessarily the same thing - eg I'm the latter but not the former, though I think I'm in a minority in that respect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hosts" are always welcome and welcoming: the title conjures-up a pleasant association of ideas.

"Community Expert" sounds like something I might find in a Town Hall: bureaucratic, bossy, hide-bound and bloody-minded!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked in a Town Hall for 23 years...

And still remember the lady who stood at the enquiry desk demanding to see her humble servant! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember the episode clearly Ozpeter except that I almost certainly demanded the attention of a "most humble and obedient servant"!

:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After decades of working in the judiciary, I've come to accept the courtroom definition of expert as nothing more than a person who knows more about a subject than the average person. I'm not impressed by the designation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines