Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are the "forum alternatives"?

Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if Adobe really does start to come around and consider the fact that this "Jiveware" is not working out to everyone's satisfaction, has anyone discussed or researched the alternatives yet?

Obviously they have had their own internal research but it doesn't mean we can't help and make suggestions based on well functioning examples of high traffic forums that we may have seen on other sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software

Wiki has a section here (if the link works) with "subarticles" that contains ASP, PHP, and "Other" forum software comparisons.

It's not like Adobe is the only company that has a long list of high volume forums out there--what do others use?  I'm sure it's not Jiveware.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Asking question now: PHPbb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They need to forget about pandering to youtube-facebook-twitter-games-playing youngsters with short attention spans. They need to consider what the most valuable members of the forums want and need - those people are the ones to nurture, not the ones who arrive in a panic and don't much care what the place looks like as long as they can get rapid, authoritative help.

The people to consult should be easy to identify, and they are by no means all 'Community Experts'. Whoever makes these decisions should eat humble pie and find out what it would take to get back the real experts who have left. If that has to be NNTP, so be it. If it means speed, reliability, permanent log-ins, stripped-down-efficient-speedy-interface, go back to where you left off - concentrate on that.

I'm not saying that those who mainly ask are not important, of course they are - they are customers and it's important to attract/retain them.

But unless the unpaid 'staff' are in place, ready and willing to answer a lot of questions as patiently and accurately as they always have, the place will just fall apart. It will become a place where link-harvesters and drive-by posters play around, giving each other half-arsed answers and squabbling over points.

I'm definitely not one of the 'elite' of course - so my only real suggestion is to ask the people who matter most, and DO WHAT THEY SAY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeaMonkeypicture001.jpg

This is what the PHPbb for an association I belong to looks like. I believe in some versions you choice of color scheme. In this particular version several version were shown to membership and this is what was chosen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Philip, PHPBB is riddled with exploitable "issues" and no sane developer

would ever use it in a commercial situation. When one is RFQ for such

software for a large company as Adobe, security and scaleability are two

important factors to be considered, before liking any "skin".

--

Best Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh. Sounds like you're saying open source isn't going to work out.

For all we know, Jive could have just as many security issues--it's not like it's used all over the Internet or anything, like these php/asp forums are.

But like I said before, there has to be good alternatives out there in use by major players that will fit Adobe's requirements.  Adobe isn't doing anything special here, it's just a technical support forum, been done a million times already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How on earth do you leap to such incredible conclusions ? I'm not referring to PHP or OSS. I'm referring to one bulletin board software application.

See BugTraq. Yes there are alternatives but without all the Criteria and the RFQ how in hell can we do the research. Obviously this isn't work you do professionally, so I'll stop here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

How on earth do you leap to such incredible conclusions ? I'm not referring to PHP or OSS. I'm referring to one bulletin board software application.

I was just teasing you about that, actually. lol

And no, I don't "evaluate software" for a living.

But you don't seem to understand what I'm saying. Adobe has the final decision and has to do the actual research, we know. But we, as the customers, have a better idea of the types of features we do or don't want. There's nothing wrong with suggesting alternatives, this is all I'm saying. At least it's an attempt to be constructive instead of just complaining about all the things we hate. I'm not suggesting a research project, I'm saying we could drop a few links or names of other forums that we like, if there are any. Please stop getting all bent out of shape over nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

S.D.A. wrote:

I was just teasing you about that, actually. lol

And no, I don't "evaluate software" for a living.

But you don't seem to understand what I'm saying. Adobe has the final decision and has to do the actual research, we know. But we, as the customers, have a better idea of the types of features we do or don't want. There's nothing wrong with suggesting alternatives, this is all I'm saying. At least it's an attempt to be constructive instead of just complaining about all the things we hate. I'm not suggesting a research project, I'm saying we could drop a few links or names of other forums that we like, if there are any. Please stop getting all bent out of shape over nothing.

We as users have no idea what Adobe the corporation has on it's list for features and/or requirements.

Always remember that we are guests here on Adobe's dime. No matter how long each of us have been here; we're on Adobe's servers using Adobe's bandwidth. It's entirely up to them what software and what bells 'n whistles they want to have. I don't know why so many people think they have the right to dictate to Adobe what shape and form these product forums should be. We can only make suggestions. We  have no right of ownership here; regardless if we're offering help or being Adobe's unpaid help. We're like volunteers in any organization -- I assume you Ansury, don't volunteer at any social agencies; as you'd undestand our role in the pecking order if you did a little better.

Now rather than wasteing time debating what we think they should use; let's try to put our time and effort in getting the major bugs fixed <ie> e-mail, sticky spell check options; sticky "where one left off at last visit" etc. We're not going to get a different forum software; That much has been made clear, so please stop beating the dead drum for gawds sake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now rather than wasteing time debating what we think they should use; let's try to put our time and effort in getting the major bugs fixed <ie> e-mail, sticky spell check options; sticky "where one left off at last visit" etc. We're not going to get a different forum software; That much has been made clear, so please stop beating the dead drum for gawds sake.

Thank you and amen!

Much of what is being "said" in this forum section is becoming unbearable despite all the urgent needs.

Some of you guys are just like Adobe. Nothing seems to sink in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

We can only make suggestions.

That is what I am saying. Are you reading the thread?

Whatever.  And I've been ignoring it so far, but I suggest you stop questioning people's (who you don't even know) personal qualifications, or knowledge, experience, whatever it may be.  Such ad hominum attacks are not relevant here.

By the way-- many of us here seem to feel that many bugs will never be fixed, not to mention the lack of key features such as NNTP.  New software is the only option if you have such concerns, and in a recent thread (finally) an Adobe employee did admit that new software "might" be needed.  But if you feel it's all a waste of time, feel free to skip such discussions.  I don't know why you keep trying to pick fights here, but I am getting a little tired of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, it's  very obvious that you have no clue and whacking you with the cluestick isn't getting through your rather thick skull. So, I'm done with you grasshopper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again resorting to the ad homimum attacks.  Obviously you can't admit you jumped the gun just trying to pick a fight.  Don't have a clue about what?  Fine, if you want to play that game-- get lost, I'm done with you.

Feel free to lock the thread Zeno, nothing useful is getting done here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So, I'm done with you grasshopper."

hey now ... let's not pick on the greenjumpythings ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grasshopper seems to have died in the throes of kinky sex. Presumably, he died happy. May he rest in peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!  Harron, I was actually referring to myself who morphed from grasshopper -> hopper -> greenjumpyone! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#;~)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No he wasn't the Grasshopper he was the teacher or sensi.

I'm kinda surprised that his family is pushing for an investigation, as it doesn't seem like murder or foul play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No he wasn't the Grasshopper he was the teacher or sensi. [sic]

Bzzzzt. I'm sorry, that's incorrect.

And, while we're at it, sensei is Japanese for teacher or master. Kung Fu is a Chinese discipline. I know we Asians all look alike to some, but there are cultural distinctions.

Carradine's death is tragic, regardless of the circumstances.

I humbly apologize for the disturbance and return you to "forum alternatives," already in progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harron K. Appleman wrote:

No he wasn't the Grasshopper he was the teacher or sensi. [sic]

Bzzzzt. I'm sorry, that's incorrect.

And, while we're at it, sensei is Japanese for teacher or master. Kung Fu is a Chinese discipline. I know we Asians all look alike to some, but there are cultural distinctions.

Carradine's death is tragic, regardless of the circumstances.

I humbly apologize for the disturbance and return you to "forum alternatives," already in progress.

Had no idea you were Asian; and they don't all look alike to moi; My wife is of Asian ancestory (Chinese).

I heard you. You're right, but calling the student "grasshopper" is what I was getting at. Didn't really care for the show much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harron K. Appleman wrote:

Cancelled, due to: wtf?

Somebody needs to get over themselves and stop acting like a primate.

By the way, I don't think the Carradine thing is settled and there's conflicting information that (if true) indicates a murder.  Actually based on the information I read (which I don't care to repeat) it's difficult to believe it was anything but murder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not a primate ???!!!! (winky)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ROFL.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://milbut.org/smilies/roflol.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?

Picture 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines