Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are the "forum alternatives"?

Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if Adobe really does start to come around and consider the fact that this "Jiveware" is not working out to everyone's satisfaction, has anyone discussed or researched the alternatives yet?

Obviously they have had their own internal research but it doesn't mean we can't help and make suggestions based on well functioning examples of high traffic forums that we may have seen on other sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software

Wiki has a section here (if the link works) with "subarticles" that contains ASP, PHP, and "Other" forum software comparisons.

It's not like Adobe is the only company that has a long list of high volume forums out there--what do others use?  I'm sure it's not Jiveware.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

?

I think Steve wanted to express great amusement at Kath's remark but the ROFL GIF did not appear (queued).

So dave obliged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, no, JJ!     You're turning into PJ now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Oh, no, JJ!

I just thought you were having a bad morning! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tanx big guy !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HARRON SAID: "Grasshopper seems to have died in the throes of kinky sex."

Well Hopper, now I have a really disturbing image in my mind that can't be erased...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q Photo wrote:

HARRON SAID: "Grasshopper seems to have died in the throes of kinky sex."

Well Hopper, now I have a really disturbing image in my mind that can't be erased...

LOL!!!  Sorry Q, I guess you will have to wash your mind's eye! 

and just to be very clear, I've never been to Thailand!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly on topic, but since topic has drifted anyway -

The tern "grasshopper" referring to a person was popularized in the TV show Kung-Fu  Staring David Carridene. It was coined by the Head Chinese Buddhist Monk referring to Carridene's Character. who eventually  killed one of the Chinese aristocracy who was pushing and shoving the old Monk who was blind and in poor health. Throughout the run of the show when he had escaped America, there was always reference to skills he was taught with the old monk calling him grasshopper, while he was showing him how to do something. often these flashbacks would help him out of bad situation, that often helped others as well. He was always just a few miles ahead of the Chinese guards that were after him.

Side note David Carridene  recently passed away just within last couple of weeks under mysterious circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

that's exactly what Harron was referring to in post 57.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense intended and may toads and frogs stay their distance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

security and scaleability are two important factors to be considered, before liking any "skin".

wow. sound like web crossing's forte...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebCrossing Community:

http://webcrossing.com/Home/webcrossing_community.htm

For heavy load requirements, WebCrossing Community's sophisticated clustering protocol makes it simple to group redundant servers for a highly scaleable and robust environment. Scalability features include distributed and mirrored server features. Unlike some mirrored systems, which may require several minutes to distribute new postings throughout the entire mirrored network, a WebCrossing Community cluster achieves complete network distribution in milliseconds.

Scaling: Mirrored & Distributed Servers:

http://webcrossing.com/Home/scaling.htm

But it is reassuring to know that as your site grows in size, WebCrossing Core grows with you to support even millions of members without speed or service degradation. That is why WebCrossing servers have always been the choice of large companies, universities and organizations with large membership and extraordinary server load requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

But it is reassuring to know that as your site grows in size, WebCrossing Core grows with you to support even millions of members without speed or service degradation. That is why WebCrossing servers have always been the choice of large companies, universities and organizations with large membership and extraordinary server load requirements.

And I've yet to find a post explaining exactly why it had to be replaced. Not saying it never was explained, but I can't remember reading about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't handle the load of both sets of forums, that's what we were told.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BZZZT...

couldn't handle the load AT the price adobe was paying/willing to pay. there, fixed that for ya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

BZZZT...

couldn't handle the load AT the price adobe was paying/willing to pay. there, fixed that for ya.

If cost was really the reason WebX was abandoned, I'm not going to argue with that. The WebX vendor should be forced to lower prices if the market conditions demand it (I'd think Adobe is a pretty key part of their market), so Adobe is right by being unwilling to pay any price.  This is a business decision, not a technical one, which is (supposed to be) their area of expertise.

Not that this means it wasn't a mistake to switch to Jiveware, but cost is a reasonable motivation that I can accept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The WebX vendor should be forced to lower prices if the market conditions demand it

Why?

Why should Web-X lower prices below what they consider to be economical to satisfy the demands of a single customer who they probably felt was dispensible?

(I'd think Adobe is a pretty key part of their market),

Apparently, NOT!

so Adobe is right by being unwilling to pay any price. 

It almost certainly was NOT "any price" — just a realistic and fair price.

We, Adobe's Customers and the Purchasers of their extremely expensive software, have the right to expect Adobe to continue to provide the high-grade Forum Support to which we are accustomed.

Adobe, as result of either excessive corporate greed or because of hidden personal agendas have failed us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying they should lower prices for any single customer, I'm saying that if their prices really are set to high, they will have no choice (unless they forgo profit which is not in their best interests) but to lower those prices so that the overall market is willing to purchase. It's just basic economics.

Only the market can set a "realistic and fair price", it's not up to just Adobe alone.  "Corporate greed" and profit is no different from a consumer's personal greed (to find the best deal), and there's nothing wrong with maximizing it, but that's more complex economics and is too off topic to discuss here.

So if they've made a business decision, we aren't really qualified to question that (unless you have some inside financial information that I don't, perhaps). 

What we can question is their choice of replacement software.  But so far the alternative suggestions have been a little lacking from what I've seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

Adobe, as result of either excessive corporate greed or because of hidden personal agendas have failed us.

Whooo! Bang on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

You supposed Money had a role in the choice. Maybe WebX crossing would be able to upgrade, but the cost was more than Adobe could handle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You supposed Money had a role in the choice.

I didn't mention money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know, but putting the pieces together based on the information Dave posted, assuming it's correct (that the vendor's claim is accurate, which I'm not 100% convinced of honestly--"millions of members?")... it does seem to come down to money.  He's saying that the performance allegedly can be scaled, if you're willing to pay enough.

But it is reassuring to know that as your site grows in size, WebCrossing Core grows with you to support even millions of members without speed or service degradation.

If it was simply speed--did they even try using WebCrossing to see what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I've yet to find a post explaining exactly why it had to be replaced. Not saying it never was explained, but I can't remember reading about it.

what kath said. that's what we were told. i've been refuting that since before the switch over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIU Dave, it's wasn't scaleable and had too many customizations done on a

platform that wasn't designed to be customized. I hated it which was why I

didn't use it too much since circa '94 when I first signed up.

--

Best Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines