• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is Ask a question... about?

Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that every page in every forum and every thread now has a separate box at the top saying Ask a question...

Now what is that about, and where will the question appear, if anywhere?

I dare not try it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, perhaps it's the Jive equivalent to Siri?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has been there since November, but it used to say Search instead of Ask.

It searches the current forum space for the text you type in to see if someone else has already started a similar thread. It just pops down a search results list (as it did before), but not also has a button in the results drop down to start a new thread.

E-mail header removed by: PECourtejoie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be more intuitive let it be the way it was before. It described to tee what it did. Now as you can see from even the hardened regulars here its absolutely confusing. It sounds like you asking whether you want to ask questions about the question. Some times its seems that peope that know too much about computer systems think too logically, and over-think stuff too much. Instead of thinking like the people will be using whatever they are designing.

The Forums are for the users. Unlike the software is written soley to satisfy Company officials and investors. And The forums should be based on what the Users want not what the handlers deem proper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Ask function in Photoshop Forum.

Typed in HDRin the ASK box,  and it gave me a list of 5 threads.  Clicked on one and it the threads dissappear with just HDR in the Ask box.

Tried this in Bridge Forum, same thing.

So we know we can ASK a question, but is one suposed to HAVE it ANSWRED?

Firefox browser, Win7, CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt, I entered "curt" in the Search for an answer... box in this forum, and got at least 1+ page of results (as I have complained many times, this

Pages.jpg

isn't at all herlpful or informative; and there was no indication about the number of hits). All 15 on the first page were messages posted by you, or posts that mentioned your name. And when I clicked on the first hit, I was taken here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4263851#4263851

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the same thing. HDR in the search box. Saw five threads, clicked on one of them, and it took me to that thread.

What browser/platform are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change, see the posts, but when I click on one they just dissapear.

Firefox browser, Win7, CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also using Firefox, but with XP.

I type in a search term, wait for the drop down listing 5 results, click on one of the results and wait 3 seconds and the discussion I clicked on opens.

Right-click and open in a new tab also works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the same Ask technique with IE9 and had the same results.  But - - - - -

Found a workaround.

If I enter the search phase the listed threads appear.  BUT rather than clicking on one I  highlight the search phrase again and hit enter.

The phase adds a asterisk to it (goes from HDR to HDR*) and now I can click on a thread and it will take me there.

Tried just adding an asterisk on first pass but that did not work.  When I click on a thread they just dissapear.

Am I the only one that has this situation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do a right-click to open the link in a new tab (IE8), the popover list of results disappears, I cannot open multiple tabs. I'll check on Safari and Chrome later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any change if you clear your browser cache?

In the search box, do you see “Ask a Question” or do you see a blue icon and some other text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing browser did not change anything.

I see the standard "ask a question" box".

I have to enter search text, it then brings up a list below search box.

I then highlight the search phrase and hit enter again.

Then the entire list is opened as a page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you in the top level (read-only) Photoshop forum or in the Photoshop General sub-forum when testing this?

To do the full search, you shouldn't have to highlight the text in the search box. Simply type in your search term and hit Enter/Return and it should add the asterisk and take you to the full search results page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this with multiple forums, same results.

OKAY, found what causes my problems.  It is how I use the box.

When I  enter text the first time no asterisk is added and a list of threads are added below the search box, but before the forum Discussion.  If I click on a thread all search results dissapear.

IF I HIT ENTER THE SECOND TIME, rather than clicking on a thread, an asterisk is added and then another window is opened with the entire the list of search results.  Clicking on thread here works as normal.

It does not seem logical to hit enter twice to bring up list. Seems more logical just to click on the thread you want to read.  And if you do, the search function does not work.

If this is normal to push Enter twice, then a note should be added to make this clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it is not normal to hit enter twice. Typing in a search phrase and hitting enter (once) should open the full search results page (and does for me, though it takes a couple of seconds to open the search results page).

What should happen is that as you type a box drops down showing 5 hits on your search terms. Those results will change as you keep typing more in the box, trying to narrow down the search. You should be able to click on any of those five items to open that item. I just tried again and that is working for me.

If you don’t see what you want in those five items you can either hit Enter or click on the See More Results button. Either one should open the full search results page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you, John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the new millenium, where we are being groomed to "request" things of our computers, rather than use them as tools.

You do realize that computers will one day just stop answering, right?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I stick to those normally considered old, but actually they are the young ones because they stay young forever, and they will never stop answering and being nice and helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realize that computers will one day just stop answering, right?

Yes, think of the HAL 9000. "I am sorry Noel, but I cannot do that for you." [Spoken in the voice of Douglas Rain, as the airlock doors shut on you... ]

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, why didn't you ask this very question in the ask a question box? 

If it just avoids 1% of the too frequently asked questions (how can I do a proportional circle,etc. ), I'm all for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre,

After your encouragement I picked up courage and found that it was actually another kind of Search, or a roundabout way of starting one.

I feared I should be starting a new thread or something worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines