Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are threads locked so fast?

Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop Windows there was a thread called "Can't install Adobe Photoshop elements 4 anymore. Why?"

The OP make comments concerning using pirated software and some people, including myself, gave our opinions as to the rights and wrongs of using such.  After only eight replies, the thread was locked.  No profanity, no threats, no harsh words, no repeating messages  Seems rather quick on the trigger to me.  Just wondering why.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't you think it was because of the Discussion on Pirated software. Its illegal, Software companies have a low tolerance for such.

in fact just us talking about it could cause the discussion to be locked. Besides there is atendence for malicious code being pirated software reeking havok on you machine.

If I can only afford a pirated version of software. I just do without until I ca get the real thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should always be a short message from the moderator explaining why the thread has been locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I agree.  If we are to be punished we should be told what we did wrong.

Sorry, no points, I don't believe in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

I see no reason to lock a thread simply because it is about pirated software.  Subject has been discussed in the past.  Unless there was a link to download such, there never was a problem.  Vast majority here state a strong opinion against using illegal software.  Even the OP said they were not advocating using it.  Locking that thread will not slow down piracy. Sorry, no points, I don't believe in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reasons: the thread wasn't going anywhere (as with all other such discussions), it was off-topic from the beginning (Elements piracy discussion in Photoshop forum), the thread got reported as abusive, there already is a thread dealing with this sort of stuff and i really didn't see the point of it, it was mostly one guy who thought that piracy is a good thing and was giving reasons why (very bad reasons by the way)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should always be a short message from the moderator explaining why the thread has been locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and i normally add one, forgot that time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno,

I really don't want to argue but just wish to state my view.

1: I do not remember any thread being closed because it concerned Elements.

2: there are countless threads covering the same topics.  They don't get locked.

3: "it was mostly one guy who thought that piracy is a good thing and was giving reasons why (very bad reasons by the way)"  Correct, and a few of us wanted to state what you just said.

4: Seriously, you considered that abuse?

Don't take it personally, I just think you were too quick to lock the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, i said someone else reported that thread as abusive, why would i file an abuse report on that thread? It wasn't one reason in particular, it was all of them combined. Plus, there was that "deleted" part in the OP so i'm guessing that he also posted some links in there and considering his attitude i doubt that he wouldn't try to post some again. It wasn't the discussion itself that bothered me, it was the OP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some friendly advice for mods-- if it seems like it'll be controversial to lock a topic, don't do it.  (The exception being cases where the discussion very obviously goes against the rules.)  If the conversation is borderline or is getting off track, there's nothing wrong with a warning or a "hint" before action is taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q Photo wrote:

Phillip,

I see no reason to lock a thread simply because it is about pirated software.  Subject has been discussed in the past.  Unless there was a link to download such, there never was a problem.  Vast majority here state a strong opinion against using illegal software.  Even the OP said they were not advocating using it.  Locking that thread will not slow down piracy. Sorry, no points, I don't believe in them.

I'm not into points, and didn't expect any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that some posters saw a great opportunity for a verbal assult, to vent some workload frustrations, but missed the chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9,

"I think that some posters saw a great opportunity for a verbal assault, to vent some workload frustrations, but missed the chance."

I believe you are correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno is just another problem host who's power has gone to his head. He doesn't know how to moderate a forum why he was given these powers just baffles me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Zeno Syndrome" is another reason why I very rarely come here anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

Please know that my "points" remark was intended to be humorous and friendly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines