Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are we still moving threads?

Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread "New to Adobe Flex" which was posted here is now in the Flex forum.  Wouldn't it have been less confusing to the OP if it was just left here with a note saying to post in the other forum?  Who knows if they'll see their answers now..  if the OP had asked for it to be moved that's fine but is moving a thread and leaving no indication it was here such a good idea?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

We all know the reason... the high-handed, i know what's best attitude. There was a wrong post here by some poor dude, yesterday or the day before, with a question on Premiere. i replied pointing him to the right forum... poof! the entire thread was shifted...

The deterioration of these forums with the introduction of Jive is matched only by the deterioration of the quality of moderation...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anchors: sorry, I must have been asleep. All the posts I checked with a URL and an anchor had the anchor missing. Often it doesn't matter - you can make sense of the post without it and don't even notice it's not there. But then one of yours came up where it did matter, which is why I mentioned it.

I marked my last post with "OT" in curly brackets. That didn't come through.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

the way it should work is if a thread is moved from one place to the other it should be dead to everyone except the originator of the errant post.

So basically you want the message to just disappear without a trace from its original location. I'm sure that could be arranged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

the way it should work is if a thread is moved from one place to the other it should be dead to everyone except the originator of the errant post.

So basically you want the message to just disappear without a trace from its original location. I'm sure that could be arranged.

At least in the case of moved threads once it moved it should simply, if not disappear, at least render dead in the original place it was posted. So that situations like I went through, reading the Posts following along them Boom I am suddenly in AfterEffects. I unsubscribed the thread after I found out how I got there. But I should not have been bounced there. THe only forums you should go to for whatever reason should be the Forum you are subscribed to. And once a thread is moved that should be the end of the link period, in the original forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The premiere thread I moved to the premiere forum where it belongs.  I PMd the OP with a link to its new location.

Curt,

I remember when that thread showed up. At first, it seemed odd to have such a new post (one that I had not seen in that session) with so many replies already. Most were folk from this forum trying to help direct the OP to the proper forum. IIRC, correct links to the Premiere, or PrPro forum, were included. During the time that I worked on the OP's problem, several more subscribers from this forum showed up, wondering what was happening. I guess there was a bit of a time lag.

Also from memory, I think that the OP got his/her answers before the location of that thread had settled, and the OP was able to find it easily, follow along and utilize the info. I do think they were puzzled by the number of respondents, who were talking about the location, but still got the problem handled and by the "end of business" PDT.

I have yet to encounter one poster, who's thread you moved, having an issue. That indicates to me that you do it correctly, or at least in a fashion that benefits the OP and those who can likely help them.

I can only recall one poster, who took offense to the suggestion that he post an Encore-only problem to the Encore forum, and not to the PrPro forum. One out of how many? That's not too bad.

Thanks for what you do,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought someone mentioned that the posts are 'copied' for a while before it actually gets moved into the correct forum I know I have seen several posts that were showing both here and in their appropriate forum for a while before it was 'fixed'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

I thought someone mentioned that the posts are 'copied' for a while before it actually gets moved into the correct forum I know I have seen several posts that were showing both here and in their appropriate forum for a while before it was 'fixed'.

It's reached the stage where they don't even know what they're doing any longer... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the same. You shouldn't believe everything you read though. And when in doubt, use common sense: if links from 2 places point to the same URL, they point to the same thread, so the thread has not been copied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to do a copy to another forum in this suck *** jiveware?  Then ya'll mods can lock the ones in the wrong place (to get that out of your system) with a link to the copy in the correct forum, but the copy in the correct forum remains open for the user.

But, that would make too much sense for jiveware, wouldn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The use case for opying content seems rather small. For the way you propose it, you would end up having to make a choice on whether or not to copy subscriptions. Would you want to award points in both places? And to different answes? And how do you prevent the poluting your search? By the time you have answers to those questions, the use case is microscopic. Even for merging duplicate threads (a much more frequently heard request) similar questions will quickly invalidate most solutions as having too many downsides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

The use case for opying content seems rather small. For the way you propose it, you would end up having to make a choice on whether or not to copy subscriptions. Would you want to award points in both places? And to different answes? And how do you prevent the poluting your search? By the time you have answers to those questions, the use case is microscopic. Even for merging duplicate threads (a much more frequently heard request) similar questions will quickly invalidate most solutions as having too many downsides.

Since it was posted in the wrong forum, subscriptions shouldn't be copied if they're a sub for the forum itself.  If they're a subscription for the thread that someone added specifically for that thread, it should be copied.  (If this doesn't make sense it's probably because I don't use or care at all about subscriptions.)  Not sure I really see the problem here, other than probable Jiveware flaws.

Points - no points allowed in the locked thread would make sense.  Although, to most people the answer to that question is a big "who cares".

Polluting search - you mean in a theoretical situation where search was actually usable?    It probably wouldn't be a problem since nobody's likely to search for "Flex" or "Dreamweaver" on the forum comments section, and anything they do search for (i.e. "Jive sucks") probably won't be in a product specific post.  So, another big "who cares".

I don't think it's such a rare case, it seems to work in every case where a thread is posted in the wrong place.  If it was done right and if it was possible in Jiveware, but I'm almost certain it's not just because... well, come on--Jive? 

Although, I do agree with Claudio that a simple "post in this forum instead" should be enough.  I only suggested a post "copy" feature for those who feel it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that's what happened with that thread! I was yesterday reading JJ's perfectly civilized message telling the OP where to post the question, when the thread simply vanished. I thought maybe my eyes were playing more dirty tricks on me, and I didn't want to add more fuel to the fire asking why the thread had been deleted in case it had, so I didn't say anything.

I think that the usual way of politely telling poor lost souls were to post is a simpler and quite less confusing way of dealing with these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I think that the usual way of politely telling poor lost souls were to post is a simpler and quite less confusing way of dealing with these problems.

Quite However, doubt if those are the objectives...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Claudio, that's being sensible.

Sensible went out with the old forums.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is more polite to move a thread to the correct forum and provide a link to the OP, then to tell them to re-post in the right place.   I usually receive a postive response from the OP using this workflow.   I am thinking of the OP when doing this.  I believe it is the best way to help them as the ones who post here by mistake are generally new users and typically appreciate the extra help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please intervene where required... needless help is no help... this thread should give you enough clues on that issue... for the rest, 'silence is golden'...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this particular lost soul has not posted anything since he started the moved thread. One could perhaps guess that he hasn't been able to find what happened with his message.

Showing a lost newcomer where to post, or even how to find where to post, seem to me more helpful ways of teaching him how to move around these not so easy to use forums than just transferring his message (plus eventual replies) to what one thinks is the proper forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must seem like Scottie beaming you up to the wrong planet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be more helpful to first ask them if they want the thread moved or if they'd rather repost.  Moving posts is IMO one of the dumbest and most useless forum features ever created.  Next to the broken ones Jiveware tries to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I give up... the whole exercise is pointless...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

I give up... the whole exercise is pointless...

Pretty much. We're Jived.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this has been happening to me for a few days. i couldnt read any of my posts. i thought i was being censored. some of them came back. not sure whats going on.

Aiyanna

[link deleted by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you were not being censored before you are now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even more than you would think, Jiveware is reporting recsoft/Aiyanna as having 0 posts even though right up there, I think that counts for at least one....

JIVE CAN'T ADD

They are stupid... most buggy mf software I've ever seen....

But anyway SEE, I TOLD YOU THIS CAUSES CONFUSION, MODS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the time when I posted my most helpful remark to the poster the poster was showing 1 post even though the post was modified. Now like you wrote it shows zero posts.

Most interesting. Ok, I am over it..... lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Jiveware©, after all, bugs are the typical reality.  I'd be worried if it actually worked correctly, that would be unusual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines