• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I edit pdf's sent to me?

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the free downloadable version of Adobe Reader 9 and I have fillable forms that are in pdf Adobe format that I purchased on the internet, but I cannot fill in the forms even though it says"Filling of form fields: Allowed"  in theDocument-- Security--- Properties.  How can I edit these forms in PDF? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

There are no form fields in that PDF. There might have been in the Word document it was created from, but those didn't make it through the PDF creation process. It's a good example of the sort of stuff too many companies make available for download. Since it has to be signed anyway, it will have to be printed first. You could

• pay out lots of money for Acrobat;
  • go back to where you got it from and see if the original Word doc is available;
  • copy all the text into a new Word doc, replace the underline

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a sample of the unfillable PDF adobe file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youd'd be much better off posting your question in the Reader forum, here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/adobe_reader

This forum is for discussing the forums themselves.

In any case, filling allowed only means that you could fill in fields if they were there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't edit documents with just Adobe Reader. You need the full version of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the OP original message. He said he had filliable form sent to him ...

Apparently some one sent him a form created on Acrobat which the originator was able to fill out. Naturally he was because Acrobat allows that. But the OP above was sent the form and he can't

He can't because the designer forgot to go advanced menu and open extend Features in Reader. Either because the originator is using Acrobat 7, or he he just forgot.

Some onelese I think has already suggested what for him to do. one of which contact the originator and have him turn on Reader Rights (Extend Features) in form and send back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He posted an example which did not have any form fields in it. 'Fillable' is an elastic term.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, Phillip, discussions about poducts are best carried out in their specific product forums. Such discussions are not only for answering the questions of the original posters. We are all supossed to benefit from them, and whatever conclusions are drawn should become available to all those entering the respective forums. Specially those facing the same problems in the future, who hopefully should not have to ask the same questions again.

No matter how complete and informative the posts you are writing here are, but for all practical porpuses they are non existent for the participants in the Reader forum, which to me looks as an almost complete waste. And I am not counting the fact that the OP here has not given any sign of having come back to the forums after posting the PDF s/he cannot fill...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point taken, Claudio. This is such a common question, though, that I thought a couple of lines in response would be preferable to going through the involved procedure of asking the OP to repost in the correct forum. Anyone asking this type of question has clearly not performed any sort of search before posting, so the next one with the same problem wouldn't benefit from a 'complete and informative post' anywhere on the web either. In my experience, it's often less painful and more effective to turn 'em round and push 'em out than to insist that they 'go through the proper channels'.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I know it is far too tempting to give the answer when one knows it. However, telling a newcomer where s/he is supposed to have posted his/her question is a good way of helping him/her to use the forums more profitably. A fish, or a fishing lesson? Sometimes the decission is not easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the Title of the thread, and the first line of the post, when I responded. I suppose I SHOULD have read a bit further...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No harm really done, John. But I really think that it would be good for newcomers if we taught ourselves not to give them the fish, but the fishing lessons...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2009 Nov 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Claudio, but this place has become such a mess, does it really matter? I, for one, still don't understand what's so hard about finding the correct place to post a question like this. <shrug>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

I've always thought it would be interesting to see the actual path that was traversed before a question was posted.

My gut tells me that in many cases, those posting in the wrong forums are really wanting to get it right. So they dutifully wander away to read the posts appearing in the "Sticky" areas many of us have created. But those posts are likely in a totally different forum. Or, a mod saw a post referenced from a different "Sticky" area and just linked to it. They don't realize they have inadvertently traversed a black hole and are now in the wrong forum to actually post their issue.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi John

I've always thought it would be interesting to see the actual path that was traversed before a question was posted.

My gut tells me that in many cases, those posting in the wrong forums are really wanting to get it right. So they dutifully wander away to read the posts appearing in the "Sticky" areas many of us have created. But those posts are likely in a totally different forum. Or, a mod saw a post referenced from a different "Sticky" area and just linked to it. They don't realize they have inadvertently traversed a black hole and are now in the wrong forum to actually post their issue.

Cheers... Rick

A black Hole anything that goes in can not come out.  Technically it should be called a worm hole. That where you go at one end and don't know where you'll end up but it does have another side to come out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no form fields in that PDF. There might have been in the Word document it was created from, but those didn't make it through the PDF creation process. It's a good example of the sort of stuff too many companies make available for download. Since it has to be signed anyway, it will have to be printed first. You could

• pay out lots of money for Acrobat;
  • go back to where you got it from and see if the original Word doc is available;
  • copy all the text into a new Word doc, replace the underlined bits with spaces and then print it and sign it;
  • print it as is, white out the underlined bits, photocopy the result and sign that;
  • suggest to whoever produced this that they find out about how to prepare forms for download, fillable PDFs and digital signatures.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help!!  Your answers were very helpful.  Sorry, I didn't have any idea I posted this question in the wrong forum.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines