• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I keep going back to page 1

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2010 Jan 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading someone's post, why do I always go back to the very first page when I hit the back button? There's no other way of going back to the page I was on before. Scrolling through maybe 10 pages to find what may be an answer to my query and then hitting the back button and going all the way back to the first page is damned annoying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/556265

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a  way to avoid being shunted back to page 1 from page x.

For instance, if on page 5 and you want to see the third entry down right click on it and choose open link in new window or open link in new tab.

When done reading the link close the window or tab and you will be on page 5 again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 26, 2010 Jan 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

For instance, if on page 5 and you want to see the third entry down right click on it and choose open link in new window or open link in new tab.

Yup.... i find the Open in New Tab / Window... works best  for me... what i do is run through the list and open all the ones i want to read in new tabs... then read and close, read and close... and end up up back at the list page. Do a refresh, to see if any new posts have come in... click the 'Mark all as read' and close that particular forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shunith,

i find the Open in New Tab / Window... works best  for me... what i do is run through the list and open all the ones i want to read in new tabs... then read and close, read and close... and end up up back at the list page. Do a refresh, to see if any new posts have come in... click the 'Mark all as read' and close that particular forum.

I think I may try that way, too; but if you Mark as read, whatever you have missed  will remain missed; all visited threads will be marked as read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

I think I may try that way, too; but if you Mark as read, whatever you have missed  will remain missed; all visited threads will be marked as read.

Jacob...

I think you meant all 'unvisited' threads... True... but obviously those are threads you're not interested in... either new threads, where the ssubject doesn't interest you, or even visited threads with new content that you're not interested in. Naturally, whenever new content is added, the topic moves up and shows as unread... and gives you a second chance to visit it as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right you are Shunith.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2010 Jan 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because the jive developers are too lazy to fix it to make it work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, what he said is true. developers are too lazy to fix it to make it work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would assume that Jochem has linked to my earlier, similar question, or at least to the same subject. I feel your pain.

The Open in Another Tab, does work, but not perfectly. I'd love to view on page 2 (or above), and remain on THAT page. It is just not going to happen.

Sorry,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt - Prayer Answered.

Earlier I had read the link Jochem listed, but it did not register with me.  I went back, re-read and then tried the method.

Indeed.  If you are on page 5, visit an entry, and then click on the "Up to discussions in xxx Forum" it will take you back to page 5.

Never knew that, just figured it would take me back to page 1.

Caution, if you are on a llink it will take you to the forum where the link was originated.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2010 Jan 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

Interesting. I'll give that a go. I could have sworn that I had tried clicking on every possible choice, but must have missed that one.

Thank you, and thanks to Jochem,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on page 5, visit an entry, and then click on the "Up to discussions in xxx Forum" it will take you back to page 5.

It would be nice, then, to have that link repeated at the bottom of a long, scrolled page.

As it is, the natural tendency, if you're at page bottom, is to click on the "Discussions" link (rightmost among breadcrumbs), which, of course, takes you to page 1 of the discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right you are, too, Harron.

Instead you have to click Go to original post first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2010 Feb 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm so sick of this.  The raw answer is that the Jive Clearspace "programmers" (if JavaScript scripting idiots deserve to be called such) did a poor job implementing this rubbish jiveware.

Forum pages are loaded via AJAX calls, just like the thread pages are.  Have you noticed the thread pages DO function correctly when you hit back?  That's because these Jive idiots didn't write the functionality consistently (or correctly).

Go to the Forum Comments page.  Go to page 2.  Go to page 3.  Watch the URL at the top of your browser.  No change right?

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

Always the same URL.  Since their AJAX/DHTML crap code doesn't use any hacks to change the URL every page, when you go into a thread (the URL changes) and hit back - the browser has no information for the AJAX crap to know which page to load and it just loads the default 1st page.  Awesome!

Now go into a multi-page thread like Spam report thread [3].  Notice the URL?

Page 1: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/506007?tstart=0

Page 2: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/506007?start=50&tstart=0

Page 3: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/506007?start=100&tstart=0

The start parameter changes.  (I've no idea what the tstart parameter is for...)  Also notice, thanks to this URL hack, the browser "knows" you've changed pages and records each page in your browser history.  (In Chrome it's visible click-holding the back button, not sure what slow browsers do.)  This is good, as it's able to load the thread page with the "start" parameter telling the (stupid AJAX) code which post to start displaying from when it requests data from the server.

So, why didn't they implement the forum paging the same way?  They're idiots?  They're lazy?  They thought people would like it this way?  It's a bug and they didn't test at all to find it?  Some stupid technical reason specific to their piss poor code base?  They just don't care?  Who knows!

All we know for sure is that Jive sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines