• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesn't everyone just ditch this place?

Aug 16, 2009 Aug 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start up 3rd party forums elsewhere for a few major Adobe products, with software that meets these requirements:

- Must work

(i.e. Any forums other than Jiveware. )

Everybody knows competition makes you better, perhaps that's what Adobe needs right about now.  Problem solved! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Aug 17, 2009 Aug 17, 2009

I'm watching the train wreck.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People still visit the Titanic.

Of course it was lost and took generations before it was found, the Titanic went down with many passengers still on board.  'Ditching' the ship would have meant embracing the cold waters of the North Atlantic. Likewise, there are no other forums to compare with what now are fond memories of past smooth sailing.

I think many are staying on here just for a sense of warmth before the icy waters close in. I stop by once in a while just to leave jewels of philosophical data in the wake.

Carry on good crew and passengers,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I love this bar

It's my kind of place

Just Walkin' through the front door

Puts a big smile on my face"

About sums it up for me. ( tab bit off topic)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saskatchewanobie wrote:

People still visit the Titanic.

Cool!

Does that mean the forums will be on display at a local museum soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Does that mean the forums will be on display at a local museum soon?"

The Titanic museum is the underwater spot where she landed at the bottom of the sea. Bringing pieces up and placing them in a museum on dry land doesn't change the fact that she went down with her crew and passengers.

Maybe someone will resurrect an old Buko photo from the old forums, giving the one finger salute, placed in the Museum Of Natural History in New York City. A fitting tribute by a disgruntled passenger.

The last thing the passengers can remember is Fillet Mignon and Lobster being served to Strauss being played by a stringed Octet, and then, that horrible 'CRUNCH' as the news is spread that we've encountered 'Improved' Forums that have ripped a gapping hole in the starboard side.

Women And Children First,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it, the Titanic makes such a good analogy.  Pay no attention to that hole--it's just a scratch in the paint!

The last sound as the ship goes under is a faint "Damnit, Captain Adobe jived us all!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Damnit, Captain Adobe jived us all!"

"You ain't lived, 'til you've been jived"

- title of new album to be released soon.

Includes such hits as:

Walk That Spinning Pizza Of Death Sailor

Log-in Eight Days A Week

I Get A-Kicked Out Of You

I've Lost My Password And My Username Last Night

And others that will make you hum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saskatchewanobie wrote:

And others that will make you hum.

Or want to kill yourself... lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2009 Aug 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you know, a lesson can be learned from the Poseidon Adventure. Once the ship capsizes, you should swim inside to a point up by the propellor where air will be trapped and you can beat on the hull bottom with a big wrench to get the attention of the rescue crews outside the ship. They can cut a hole in the hull and let you out. Little did they know that cutting the hole would let air out and then the entire ship sinks to the bottom of Aquarius Andromeda before you can get out. Kinda like getting logged off every time you start to post something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2009 Aug 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poseidon Adventure....?!  That movie was friggin depressing and nasty!!  You're not helping out here!!! 

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry about the foul language. I forgot the word "frig" was off limits. Please don't permaban me.  (Then again, would it matter?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2009 Aug 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuing to post here is like a permaban in itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see they have stopped re-arranging the deckchairs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:25:54PM -0600, Saskatchewanobie uttered:

RoboWizard Said: "Since I've been taught this by my own spritual leaders, I'm fond of it ... You cannot possibly move forward while you are looking backward. "

Tell that to a guy in a rowboat.

ROFL Priceless !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's always a choice if there's enough support, we aren't living under communism... (I think).

Seriously though, if there were about 20-30 people who were moderate to expert in at least 4-5 major Adobe products that were interested, they could probably start up a successful alternative forum if there's really interest in it.  There's enough free forum services out there to try it for nothing, not sure if they support NNTP-like access though.

It's not about the look of the forums, it's about the general usability which is fairly pathetic.  We still have basic login problems for crying out loud..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have always been a lot of parallel forums but Adobe used to be the best at all levels.

For Photoshop and Photography, that era ended with the advent of jive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well JJ it certainly sounds like Adobe has readjusted the bar pretty low.  If I were a betting type I'd bet that some of the advanced users moved to alternative 3rd party forums already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

Wouldn't be that expensive PJ, just purchase one of the hundreds of forum hosting services out there. You could probably combine most of those forums until volume picked up, but that's really the problem--getting anyone there.

But I guess if most of the complaints from from the Photoshop forums, there IS an alternative now if you google "photoshop forums".  What sucks is that some products (the two I use) don't seem to have *any* active forums anywhere, except on stupid yahoo groups which is worse than Jive (if that's possible).

It was just a theoretical suggestion. I started it out by asking Who of the dsgruntled sers here has the funds and server space ....

I'm sure it could be. I know it would be for me. but some of these other people that have day or night jobs or run their own copmany migh pull it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blind leading the blind is a recipe for a destroyed user base.

PJ - how much do you think it would cost?  I think it could be done for free or probably $5-$10 a month, those services aren't that expensive.  Maybe if you're talking mega-bandwidth or fancy features but that certainly wouldn't be a problem to start.  The problem might be finding something that supports an NNTP type interface.  So like I said, all we'd need is a decent sized list of people, and maybe a little advertising money to attract users (or some subversive users remaining here and directing people to the new location after answering their questions ).

But this should have been tried months ago, before all the old users left.  (Btw, add a Flex/AIR forum to that list. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the slightest idea what running a NTTP server would cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robo,

From my standpoint, the forums did nothing but improve. I'm really sad to see that so many folks percieve it so differently

That suggests to me that you have NOT spent as much time in the Photoshop forum as many of the regular "gang" did.  These forums did nothing but *dissolve*, not improve.  When you lose the caliber of users that have been lost since April, *someone* should take stock of that.

Unfortunately, Adobe isn't taking that stock and that's a damn shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

I don't have the slightest idea what running a NTTP server would cost.

The problem is that most inexpensive hosting services do not support NNTP hosting.  I use Hostmonster.com to host a couple dozen websites.  It's affordable with many features, but does not include NNTP.  I did a quick search and found Newshosting.com, but according to the online sales literature, each port is $10 per month with a minimum of 10 ports for an account, or $100 per month.  Are there any NNTP hosting services that are price competitive with services like Hostmonster.com?

Best,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHRISTOPHER GLAESER wrote on 8/18/2009 8:13 AM:

PjonesCET wrote :

>> I don't have the slightest idea what running a NTTP server would cost.

The problem is that most inexpensive hosting services do not support NNTP hosting.

NNTP is a bit different from other protocols in that the hosting itself

is distributed worldwide and free if you post in you use any of the big

Usenet hierarchies. You just post to Usenet and it gets propagated

worldwide and stored on servers automatically. People just need to find

their own NNTP server to download the content from. If you don't have

that, costs can be anywhere between $1 and $20 per month to get access.

I did a quick search and found Newshosting.com, but according to the online sales literature, each port is $10 per month with a minimum of 10 ports for an account, or $100 per month.

And for that you get a download capacity of 10 ports, probably at

128kbit/s, or 360 GB per months. That sort of setup is really aimed at

ISPs who want to offer binary downloads to their customers through a

caching frontend.

Are there any NNTP hosting services that are price competitive with services like Hostmonster.com?

Go to slicehost or any other VPS hoster, get a VPS, install INN (or if

you are looking for really basic NNTP software James) and run your own

NNTP server. Then find one of the dozen more or less complete PHP

webforums that integrate with NNTP and run that for your web frontend.

If you want mailinglist integration, I recommend mailman.

All software mentioned is available free of charge, you just pay for the

VPS hosting account.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Go to slicehost

Slick!!!

Best,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Go to slicehost

Perhaps he's trying to tell us something....   (nice post though)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

Perhaps he's trying to tell us something....   (nice post though)

Where would be the learning experience in just telling you?

Seriously though, if I had to judge experience and skill with this type of complex server software from the posts in this forum, the only name I could come up with who could run this sort of setup would be Mark A. Boyd. And here is hoping that somebody else takes this as a challenge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Where would be the learning experience in just telling you?

There are times when I could really use an affordable fraction of a dedicated server.  Your response was most helpful.  Thanks again!!!

Best,

Christopher

A king must know these things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines