• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesn't this forum show a member's hardware and software profile?

Participant ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would find it very helpful to know the OS and equipment that a member is using, especially when I am trying to troubleshoot a technical problem.  For example, I have no idea whether the dreaded red frame issue is exclusive to macs or windows users.  That would tell me a lot. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Users can choose to fill in their Community profile as much or as little as they wish. There is a section to enter details of your Adobe products, operating system, etc but for the majority of customers it isn't that simple. All Creative Cloud subscribers can install on Windows and OS X at the same time, they can be using the a product or service on an iPad, a desktop computer or a Windows Phone, and passing files between all three. Many customers have a desktop and laptop with completely differ

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because users do not provide that information, which is not required to register.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisely.  Are you being obtuse?

Shall I rephrase the obvious?  Why does this forum not ask you to create a profile upon registering with some clue as to the platform you are using so that when I am trying to troubleshoot a media management or GPU issue I can gauge the usefulness of postings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not being, I am obtuse; and I was just answering your question, Perhaps because that information can change very rapidly, for power users at least?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scroll to the bottom of the page and look at the bottom right corner of your screen, where it says "Powered by JIVE"

That means that Adobe did not write the forum software, they license it from another company

Which also means that Adobe uses what JIVE provides... and that does not seem to include a hardware profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why isn't Adobe interested in knowing and sharing what hardware and software their users are running?  Wouldn't this information provide a fundamental point of reference for discussion?  Or is this forum simply a question and answer game to score points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't work for Adobe so I have no idea on corporate policy

I DO know that individual Adobe employees who participate in the forums I visit are in the same position of having to ask for information if the user does not provide it in their first message

I also know that many people have asked for different forum software, or additions like you've mentioned, right from the beginning of Adobe using Jive... and that has not happened

So no matter what you or I or anyone else says SHOULD be part of the forum software, what we have is what Jive provides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to answer my question on Adobe's behalf.  I was kind of hoping to discuss improving user profiles with an Adobe rep or another user who had similar concerns.  How else can a user sift through all of these postings to find pertinent information?  What I'm hearing you say is that "it is what it is."  From what I can tell, it is game to see who can chime in with a comment more than anyone else.  And it's a game that's not even run by Adobe, the company that puts its name on the top of the page. 

I suggest that Adobe and Jive change the name to "Anonymous Friends of Adobe Help Desk Contest."  Adobe should launch another site where users who make a living using Adobe software can freely exchange ideas and read frequent contributions from authorized and knowledgeable representatives of the company.  A "Forum" is what they call it, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have replied with the information that I have, either from personal knowledge (which IS limited because I don't work for Adobe) or from reading other, similar, messages

>game to see who can chime in

I don't play games here... you don't like the honest answers Claudio and I have provided, so now you resort to insulting people

Goodbye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users can choose to fill in their Community profile as much or as little as they wish. There is a section to enter details of your Adobe products, operating system, etc but for the majority of customers it isn't that simple. All Creative Cloud subscribers can install on Windows and OS X at the same time, they can be using the a product or service on an iPad, a desktop computer or a Windows Phone, and passing files between all three. Many customers have a desktop and laptop with completely different hardware, and software build numbers that change on a daily basis. The pertinent information will always be specific to the question being asked - we don't care in the slightest what your GPU driver version is if Acrobat can't print a copy of your tax return, nor do we care what fonts you have installed if Premiere Pro won't render an AVI. Presenting a customer with a mountain of mandatory form fields before they are allowed to ask a question, 99% of which are irrelevant, will make all our lives a lot easier as none of them will bother posting anything.

Crash reports sent to Adobe via the OS vendors contain all the information required to trace a bug, but Adobe does not demand any information at registration beyond that required to create an ID and a screen name, for obvious reasons of privacy and security. Product spaces within the Community have guidelines on the type of information that may be helpful to provide within a question, depending on what the subject is. Some products, such as those in the video group, have detailed suggestions of what to include because of the technical nature of the information we often need to know. When a customer leaves out a critical detail they will be asked for clarification and assisted to find the information if necessary. It's a conversation - we don't expect every thread to be one perfect question followed by one correct reply. Many times the customer has no idea what's wrong so can't work out what to tell us until the conversation has progressed a little.

Of course the Community is "run by Adobe". Adobe pays the bills and sets the rules, but this is not a 1:1 link between you and a product manager. We do have staff presence in the popular product areas to assist with setup, and some product engineers volunteer their time to get involved in the conversations, but engineers are paid to write code, not hang around on a forum. The people who have already replied to you in this thread have an MVP badge. That means they are the most knowledgeable Adobe product experts you'll find anywhere. The responses they give are just as good, if not better, than anything you'll get from a Customer Care agent.

Any more insults thrown around and we will moderate you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deep breath.

Thank you Dave for your detailed response.  My apologies to Claudio and John who no doubt have helped hundreds of users.  I should have made it clear from the beginning that I was attempting to start a conversation, not looking for an answer.  I, myself, felt insulted by your over-simplistic responses.  I should have never framed my post as a question.  I felt like I was being made fun of. 

I have invested hundreds of hours over the past 3 years sifting through these discussions trying to keep abreast of hardware and MacOS issues in particular.  The forum design makes it difficult.  And it sometimes downright maddening to drill down through a thread only to find that the user is not running anything close to what your query intended. 

Again, thank you for your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You asked a question, and you marked it as so. John and I tried to answer it. It's not my fault that you didn't want to ask a question but didn't say so, or that you didn't like our direct answers to your direct question.

Please try to be more precise next time you ask a non-question question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have noticed that users of forums such as these are very reluctant to provide any personal information (for example, your own profile isn't very informative). If you force newcomers to fill in too much information when registering, many of them will simply leave and look for help elsewhere.

Furthermore, information about hardware and software being used can change quite drastically and frequently, as I said before. If posters do not update that information, it will soon be dated and useless.

Add these two guesses of mine to the information that John gives in his message immediately above, and you should have a reasonable answer to your question in the title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines