• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why name does appear on forum although I asked to hide it ?

Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All is in the title : my name appears on all adobe forums although I asked my profile not to do it...

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Now I see this thread : Real name instead of Screen name displayed

But... What a mess is these Adobe forums... And let me add, if not already done by other users, that seeing my real name is not showing the reality.... It should not be that way.  I should see my screen name. There should not be any discussion about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact to see your real name is correct in terms of the privacy choice you have made - it's set to "You" and you are... you! Exactly the same as stuff on Facebook set to "only me".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but no, you're wrong. Taking example on Facebook in terms of privacy is really not a good choice ! But still, there is no screen name on Facebook, and all the content that I share with other people is indicated with an icon, so I know what I share and how.

Here, there is absolutely no indication that the other people see my screen name. It appears like a bug as we specify in settings that our screen name must appear instead of our name. And as you see in the other thread, I'm not the only one to have this problem... It is very difficult to understand why I see my name while seeing the screen names of others.

So either you show the screen name for those who want to, or you put an indication that our name is not visible to everybody every time the name appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. When originally signing up for this forum I chose a screen name which would become my identity for this forum. Yes, we all understand that so long as we've set our real name to be visible only ourselves, no one else is going to see it. This is still nonsensical and also confusing to users who are much less forum/tech savvy. I can only assume this is a 'feature' of the 'Jive' platform which wants to be a social platform, not just a forum. If there's no option to entirely remove a person's real name from this forum then that is a failure in the Jive platform's design. It is contradictory to WYSIWYG — if I see my forum display name and it states my real name I will assume that is how I am represented to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is contradictory to WYSIWYG

Does it say anywhere that these forums are WYSIWYG? You apopear to me

as "vycanismajoris" and you can check this out by using another browser

on which you haven't logged in. By not logging in, you become anonymous

and everything we see, the general public, also appears exactly on your

screen. But only if you are not logged in otherwise, the system will

identify you and become personal to call you by your real name.

As to whether this is the best way to manage these forums, it is

something for a debate and this thread is not the right place for it.

It has been discussed in some other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any debate here. Actually, I don't see any good reason to show my real name (to me) in the forums. I know my screen name as well as my real name, so why showing my real name ? What is the point ?

Moreover, it has never come to my mind that other people would see my screen name if I see my real name !...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see what's the big deal about the Names. I don't care whether people see my screen name or my Real name. I have nothing to hide and don't have enough money to make it worthwhile to steal.  I am not wanted by law enforcement, FBI, CIA, Interpol. I paranoid about putting in Junk in folders to be emptied that anything that looks fishy and if I come across any Phishing Attempts, I report them to the party being Phished. I've been getting less and less spam because I take a Proactive approach to Malware , Spam and Phishing. So if they are familiar with my name and know that I turn them every time they send me Junk, they will tend to steer clear.

The hiding behind screen names has always been silly. If someone wants to know about and has the smarts they can take your IP address and and find out everything about you down to the toilet paper you use.  I use screen names on sites that require screen names. But only because it required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines