Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why not have options of downloading older versions

Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link on your site: http://www.adobe.com/products/studio/index.html. I post it for two reasons, one being that the link is for a product that Adobe no longer sells. The other reason is that I can't see why Adobe doesn't offer the opportunity to purchase older versions of their software. I have an admittedly older computer (2000 Mac) that continues to serve me well. I would like to be able to buy a newer version of Adobe software than what I have, but because Adobe doesn't offer this option on their site, my only other option is buying used or possibly counterfeit software from Ebay. I have put off buying a newer version of software for the same reason that most people do: I can't afford it. I don't have 2 grand for CS4 and my computer can't run it anyway, but it can run CS2 or possibly CS3. So wouldn't it be better for Adobe to keep offering products for older computers?

Laugh if you want about my old machine, but I have used PCs and Macs professionally over the years as a web designer. I will take my old Mac any day. In the time I've owned it I probably haven't turned it off more than 50 times, have never had a virus (I don't even have virus protection) and have never had a disk crash. I believe that there are other people out besides myself who have older computers that would also benefit from the ability to purchase older versions of software.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe support is bad enough already. I can't imagine what it would be like if they had to train people to support not only the newest versions but all proceeding versions as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes commercial sense to adobe to force people to upgrade or struggle.

Why would they even consider keeping old versions available?

These days all they want is money, not fans. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, PageMaker continued to be sold by Adobe years after being officially declared dead...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

However, PageMaker continued to be sold by Adobe years after being officially declared dead...

True but at least it was the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry not to know anything about Studio, but I assumed that the OP wanted to buy the latest version of that program, perhaps no longer offered separately? My bad, it would seem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 26, 2009 Sep 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Studio 8 from Macromedia was:

DreamWeaver 8

FireWorks 8

Flash 8 (not just player but Flas the flas creation program)

Contribute 3.1

And FlashPaper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Officedepot still has a CS3 suite listed on their website for a MAC.

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?Ntt=adobe&No=48&N=5&recordsPerPageNumber=12&Ntk=all&Ntx...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. This is not the package I'm looking for. What I really need is either the Studio 8 upgrade (or complete) or the rare Adobe CS2 Premium Web Bundle, which was a combination of Adobe and Macromedia products from around the time that Adobe took over MM :' (

The packaging for this looked like an Adobe product on the top half and a MM product on the bottom half and contained pretty much every app worth having at the time it was issued.

I agree that is would be costly and counterproductive for Adobe to carry and support older products but at the same time I've never used Adobe support for anything. I spent over a half-hour just trying to get someone on the SALES line which you would normally expect someone to answer promptly. And we all know how beneficial robohelp is. I would still rather buy this product from Adobe even if it was without customer support. The best support these days comes from forum contributors anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's use another analogy. Back in the late '60s, I owned a beautiful Jaguar XKE 4.2 drop-head coupe. I sold that in the '80s. Now, if I went to Jaguar, and asked that they sell me a '67 XKE, the laughter would fill the room.

Think about it,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Think about this for a moment. Adobe has many software programs. Some go way back in time. As a commercial, capitalistic (this is NOT a bad term, IMO), they must move on. They develop and sell one version of each of their sofware stable. That is what they are selling and what they are supporting. I makes sense.

For support on older products, you have the fora. For sales of older products, there are a very few legit sites that offer these.

If I went to WordPerfect (Corel now), and asked to purchase version 1.2 (my first version way back), they would laugh at me. Same for Adobe, should I wish to purchase PS version 2.5 (my first version).

Maybe you expect too much.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is not a comment about the forums.

Adobe sells current software and supports provides support for current versions. They do not wish to support older software. The more software you need to support the higher the support costs. If people purchased the older software from them they might try to run it on newer machines and have problems doing so. The easiest solution is to cease selling the older software. This is a standard industry practice. If you wish things were different:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines