• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why should my thread be moved???

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should my thread be moved to the Photoshop Lounge forum? I'm not interested in that forum. I'm only interested in this forum:

Adobe Forums > Adobe general forums > Forum comments

While my original post was not a comment on the forums per se, it was just a polite gesture to introduce myself to members of this forum. I clearly stated at the outset:

"Just want to introduce myself. I'm kind of new to this forum. But i've heard so much about Adobe and the Adobe Forum Comments forum. I'm so looking forward to taking part in all the exciting discussions."

That was aimed at this forum in particular. Not at the Photoshop forums per se. I also received some welcome advice, to which i responded thanking the individuals.

What is wrong with that and my original post, that my thread is moved to another forum that has no bearing on this one?

Is this the work of a heavy-handed moderator that many seem to be complaining about?

Wouuld appreciate an answer from the Forum Host/Moderator.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should my thread be moved to the Photoshop Lounge forum? I'm not interested in that forum. I'm only interested in this forum:

my question exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had searched this forum, you would have found at least these two reasons:

What is right is determined by a consensus of hosts / moderators / experts / forum related employees.

and

Policy comes from Adobe, practice comes from consensus, execution  from  individual moderators.

(emphasis on the extremely precise word "execution" added by me). Although I somehow seem to feel that the Adobe policy applied here is not entirely consistent with the views expressed in the ANNOUNCEMENT at the top of the page, but this may be due to my poor knowledge of the English language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you are talking about your "Hello!..." thread, I have just checked and it's still here:

Hello.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see that thread either, Claudio.  It's probably yet another awesome JiveBug©, just like one I noticed missing before:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/486424?tstart=0

Not sure how to make this image bigger in this Jive mess, but I have the proof...

missingThread.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the magic Jiveware popup for his username to get to the old thread (as I had to do), it turns out it is in the lounge:

Adobe Forums > Adobe Photoshop > Photoshop Lounge > Discussions

It's the pathetic Jive thread moving bug that our moderators enjoy activating.

Obey the forum thought police.  Violators will be locked, deleted and banned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it has been either deleted or moved within the last few minutes, for I don't see it any longer either. Peculiar.

Of course, I conveniently forgot to mention that when I clicked on that thread, I landed in the Lounge.

And I thought smilies were not really necessary to understand what I have been trying to convey, but perhaps I was too subtle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I saw it when I first dropped by Sept 04 ~ 8:30PM AZT. It was shown as "locked," but was there.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

I saw it when I first dropped by Sept 04 ~ 8:30PM AZT. It was shown as "locked," but was there.

That's a second thread that the moderator locked... read his argument. It's quite hilarious, i think. And quite revealing of a certain mindset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quite revealing of a certain mindset.

Don't be too hard on the MOD's, especially this forum. Their job is not an easy one. First, the Adobe fora are for the discussion and problem solving related to Adobe products. I find most MOD's to be very flexible. For instance, on the Premiere Pro forum, there is no censorship for references to a Sony product. That is not likely to fly on many other NLE fora, and I know this for a fact.

Next, this particular forum is for the discussion on elements and problems related to the overall site. Yes, it does get loose sometimes, but there should always be an underlying element of relationship to the site.

The various Lounges are even looser, as almost anything but politics, or religion, can be discussed. They are like that "Water Cooler," that I mentioned in my reference to the image/video site.

Adobe hosts this site and works to keep the various fora working, as they DO supplement TS - some would say "replace" TS. I won't get into that.

The MOD's job is not easy and they ARE volunteers. Some are a bit more lenient, than are others, but they are human after all. I'm a MOD on a couple of sites. If it is not profane, or spam, and is remotely related to the forum, I have no issue, but that is just my style.

Other than those Lounges, the Adobe fora do not have a real place to socialize, unlike many other sites. Here, it's basically the products, or the site, in the case here. Don't be too hard on the MOD's. Their job is not easy, and I feel that the vast majority here do their best to keep the discussions on track.

Sorry that you got caught in that grey area - the one with "slippery slopes" all around.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt, you may be right, but it would also be good if some of the new hosts were not so hard on the users...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt, you may be right, but it would also be good if some of the new hosts were not so hard on the users...

Claudio,

I do agree on that. I do not encounter it much, but I'd extend that to forum regulars (where I hang out) too. Usually, the MOD's there are very gentle, and so are the vast majority of regulars. Still, there are a few fora, that I would not venture into after dark...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Still, there are a few fora, that I would not venture into after dark...

Hunt

Hunt,

Possibly... but which fora? If this forum is included, please keep in mind a few points:

1/ Posts here are not in the product forums, where these same posters are lambs helping other lost sheep

2/ Most posters here are veterans of the Adobe Forums (fora!) and are expressing their disgust at the turn things have taken

3/ The dropping of NNTP has lost Adobe a lot of knowledge and expert help

4/ Some posters here are from the NNTP side and their points, whatever, do not reflect the time they have been members here nor the contribution they've made over the years

5/ Some of the MODs don't seem to realise this. They think they're dealing with a bunch of newbies. In most cases, those same 'newbies' have been members of these fora for far longer than the new Moderators.

6/ Some of these Moderators have no experience in moderating, don't know what the word means, think they're tin gods and delete and lock posts at will. All this is alo adding to the decibel level.

7/ There has been no serious response from Adobe about intentions to address issues.

8/ Unsw., unsw., unsw.

But please remember / keep in mind that dates and salamis on a poster's profile can be misleading. As i said, some have been here since the time dot. But as they were from the NNTP side, there's no real record.

Cheers!

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Possibly... but which fora? If this forum is included, please keep in mind a few points:

No. This forum is not one of those. As for which ones fall into that "dark and dangerous" categroy, I'll pass on sharing my observations.

I do understand the NNTP side of things, as I have been on the Adobe fora from before the time of the Internet, regardless of what my profile says. I used to access the precursor on a DOS-based newsreader that was barely ported for Windows, and after Win 3.1.1 then moved to a more modern news reader. It was not too long after that the Web-based fora were begun, but I still accessed them from my news reader, as I went back to the time of the ARPANET and my Wang smart-console. It probably was not until about 2000, that I finally began accessing the PS forum via the Internet.

Along the way, I saw several changes in the layout and software - some that took and some that only destroyed tons of great old, but still useful posts. I am not much of a fan of the Jive iteration of the fora, but have decided to live with it and make the best of it. I do not begrudge those who hate it. I am almost there, but keep trying to get over it and move on.

5/ Some of the MODs don't seem to realise this. They think they're dealing with a bunch of newbies. In most cases, those same 'newbies' have been members of these fora for far longer than the new Moderators.

See below.

6/ Some of these Moderators have no experience in moderating, don't know what the word means, think they're tin gods and delete and lock posts at will. All this is alo adding to the decibel level.

Fortunately, this has not been my experience, but that is probably due to the particular fora, where I spend most of my time. There, they are to be commended and thanked. Obviously, that does not speak for all fora.

7/ There has been no serious response from Adobe about intentions to address issues.

Would be nice if we had a clue. When there are changes afoot, he MOD's that I know do tell the subscribers, even if it's rather late in the game.

But please remember / keep in mind that dates and salamis on a poster's profile can be misleading. As i said, some have been here since the time dot. But as they were from the NNTP side, there's no real record.

Oh, I am well aware, as many years of my participation have been lost forever. From a personal standpoint, that is meaningless to me. As for many of my past contributions and those of so many others being lost - well I lament those greatly. One subscriber to the Encore forum has been spending vast amounts of time trying to recreate many of the most useful "lost threads." His boolean must be better than mine, as he's found some that I was never able to locate and has sent me the full transcripts. I've posted some of these as "articles," as there is not likely to be that much new discussion.

I agree with you on most points, and have just not expereinced some of the others.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I am not a MOD, so take this as you will. The various "Lounges," are good places for non-technical theads, or technical threads, that are not in the realm of the main foum. A question on DVD duplicators is a good example of a post that belongs in the DVD Lounge, and not in the Encore forum.

Rants are a good subject for moving to a Lounge. In the Premiere Elements sub-forum, a new sub-sub-forum has been created for "posts that do not require an answer." Obviously, rants that are not technical questions are great fodder for this location.

Now, why an introductory post into this forum was moved to the Photoshop Lounge is beyond me. I would say that this is not the proper spot for it, but then there might be other fora, besides the Photoshop Lounge, where it would be more appropriate. Only the MOD, who moved that post can comment on the rationale of moving it to the location they did. Were it me, I'd probably have chosen some other Lounge. Still, I did not see the post, so maybe reference was made to Photoshop?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Still, I did not see the post, so maybe reference was made to Photoshop?

No reference to Photoshop... Here's the link to the thread in the PS Lounge:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/486374?tstart=0

Cheers!

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay,

Thanks. I found it after I replied.

I do not understand the move, but then I am not a MOD here.

In one of the threads, to which you had replied - think it was the one where you deleted your comments, but could be wrong, I mentioned another forum, but it's geared towards digital image manipulation and video production. If those are not your interests, it'd not be of much use.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

I mentioned another forum, but it's geared towards digital image manipulation and video production. If those are not your interests, it'd not be of much use.

Saw that, but thought you were using that as an example...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines