May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big improvement!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RenéG wrote:

Big improvement!

?????? Definitely something potent... mmmmm....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enough to write home about it.

At work, they've been slow as hell since they went up, but today is the first time that I find that they are really usable. (at home, they were reasonably fast).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RenéG wrote:

At work, they've been slow as hell since they went up, but today is the first time that I find that they are really usable. (at home, they were reasonably fast).

Mmmmm.... so not something potent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You switched to Google Chrome, didn't you?

Jive software is still the joke of the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

You switched to Google Chrome, didn't you?

Jive software is still the joke of the internet.

No.

Then it must be because of the maintenance I did yesterday. Cleaned the caches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the access times are still not *uniformly* fast.  That is the same as it was with the WebX forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RenéG wrote:

Big improvement!

I'm not seeing it over here. It still takes me anything from about 8 to about 15 seconds to get into the forums or to open this window -quite a lot more than the less than a second in the old forums. The only noticeable improvement I have seen is that it now takes me "just" a couple of seconds to open threads. Compared with the almost no time before, this is still slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about a different performance as yours.

Since the new Forums, on my Mac at work, it would take 10 minutes to open a thread; which made these Forums useless. Today, is the first day that the speed is relatively decent (mind you, not as fast as the old Forums – but still very useable).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't even login this morning took over half an hour.

Damn thats fast

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

I couldn't even login this morning took over half an hour.

Clean your Browser's Cache!?

That seem to have done the trick for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the forums are so slow today, they're barely moving. pages never finish reloading, although i couldn't tell you exactly what was missing...

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

15 seconds to reload the topic list in this forum.

" 'Fast', it's the new slow."

" 'WOW', it's the new, 'meh'. "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wasted more than 15 minutes(!) getting to the forums.adobe.com index page.

A check of Traceroute (getting close, but not to the server) gives about 38 ms.  A ping, not surprisingly, gives about 38 ms.

This is ridiculous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob - something is wrong on your end.  I just used VNC to access a machine in Australia (way, way off the Adobe net) and brought up the US forums in about 15 seconds.  (only a little slower than from home)

Sometimes the login page is slow, but the forums themselves shouldn't be THAT slow.

Things to check: local firewalls, browser settings, anti-virus software (esp. that tries to check web pages), etc.

Have you tried using another browser (Firefox or Opera)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Sometimes the login page is slow, but the forums themselves shouldn't be THAT slow.

Things to check: local firewalls, browser settings, anti-virus software (esp. that tries to check web pages), etc.

Have you tried using another browser (Firefox or Opera)?

All that time was spent waiting for the forum index page to appear (forums.adobe.com).  I finally got tired of waiting, stopped the transfer and selected the comments section.  From that point on, things were no worse that the WebX forums.

No active firewalls.

No virus software (Macintosh, OS X, 10.5.6).

I didn't try FireFox because I was waiting to see how long the whole process took.

Please note that the TraceRoute and Ping results were 38 ms *while I was waiting*.  (I realize that is not conclusive evidence of anything.)

At the present time things are back to 'normal' and I have not changed anything on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topics are back to taking 10 minutes to open, today.

HuH!

(OS 10.4.11, Safari 3.2.3, we have Firewall, working for a big company, but I have no control over that)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RenéG wrote:

HuH!

(OS 10.4.11, Safari 3.2.3, we have Firewall, working for a big company, but I have no control over that)

" 'HuH', it's the new 'WOW' "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

" 'HuH', it's the new 'WOW' "

There you go. The exact word you were looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RenéG wrote:

HuH!

The potency has worn off.... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know we're not comparing - but I do remember a lot of complaints in the old forums about speed issues, it's not new. It must be fiendish to troubleshoot when people's experiences are so different. I very rarely see any serious slowdowns, although they do happen - JJ and I used to squabble a bit about this because he doesn't live that far from me in the UK and had a lot more problems with slow response times.

I'm not trying to disparage anyone's problems, just pointing out that the speed thing is very variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opera or Google Chrome help. Not that it's acceptable that we have to switch browsers to use this thing.

Of course, had software that isn't poorly engineered using crap code that's extremely browser dependent and fragile not been chosen, this wouldn't be a discussion. 

Oh well, if Adobe doesn't like the customer complaints, they should have chosen more carefully from the dozens of alternatives out there.  Or bite the bullet, take the loss, and get a new WebX contract. Until that happens, there's going to be suffering for all parties.   Adobe can use the Clearspace point system internally to simulate and supplement office politics.  See, it is useful after all!  Fall below 50 points, you're fired!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe can use the Clearspace point system internally to simulate and supplement office politics.  See, it is useful after all!  Fall below 50 points, you're fired!

thanks. now every one's looking at me to see why i'm chuckling madly out loud to myself here in my low walled cubicle!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Bob - something is wrong on your end.  I just used VNC to access a machine in Australia (way, way off the Adobe net) and brought up the US forums in about 15 seconds.  (only a little slower than from home)

Chris, 15 seconds may seem all right for you, but it is an enormously long wait compared with the old forums. As you don't have my specifications, I'll repeat them here for you.

I normally use two computers. First, an old G4/400 PowerMac with OS 10.3.9 and Firefox 2. And second, a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista and Explorer 7. Both are physically connected through a router to a local cable IP with typical download speeds aroud 5000 kbps as measured with PC Pitstop. If there are differences in access times between my two machines, they are too small to be noticed. My time measurements are done with a normal electric clock with a seconds hand, and estimated when too short.

In the old forums, connection times to any of the forums, and times to move around them, were well below a second, and probably below half a second; it was impossible to read the messages in the status bar.

In the new forums, my connection times are enormously longer. The shortest time to connect to the forums that I recall was about 8 seconds, with around 15 seconds typical, and occasionaly much longer times. Times to open the messages box and to enter the registration window are about the same. Once in a forum, going to specific threads takes now some 2-4 seconds, but it wasn't so fast at the beginning.

According to the messages in the status bar, a sizable fraction of the delay is in connections with wwwimages.adobe.com (I'm quoting from memory,but I'm certain of the lack of a dot after the tripe w). To a layman such as me, this would seem to indicate that much time is spent in downloading images that most users do not want. If this were true, eliminating the unwanted images would greatly alleviate this problem.

So, let me repeat what many others have said many times in the last weeks: these extremely long times (as compared with those in the old forums) render these forums almos completely unusable. There are many of us who have been patiently waiting for an improvement, but several have already given up. And patience is not infinite.

Increasing speed should be the number 1 priority.

Addition: I forgot that you may not know that I am in Santiago, Chile.

Message was edited by: Claudio González

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines