• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong number of replies

Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see when you go Up to Discussions in (the) Illustrator (forum), this thread seems to have one reply too few (currently 1 instead of 2); these two first replies were posted within the same minute; I returned to the forum immediately after posting (first) and found that there was apparently 1 reply, namely post #2.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/573185?tstart=0

We may have hit the limit of discerning posts in the forum thread list, or encountered a black hole there, but neither post went into a black hole in the thread.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will have someone check it out. At least it (having an extra reply) seems better than to be missing a message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, John. Indeed: it would be rather distressing if posted posts went unposted in a black hole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I have observed similar. Often a post will show 0-1 reply, and when I open it, that will be what displays. Upon my reply, when the thread screen comes back, there will be several replies from many hours, or days, before that suddenly appear. Some even have the right answer, or one that is exactly as I have just posted. Not sure what the variables are, but most of those have been in one of the Premiere fora/sub-fora. Other than making me look a tad daft, I guess that there is no issue, so long as the OP could see the other replies, before I could see them. When I exit out of the thread, the total replies updates to the correct number. Wish that I had some examples, but I do not. Also, if the number corrects itself after my post, I'd have to know beforehand that it was a bogus count, and do a screen-cap, as the forum software covers its tracks.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I have observed similar.

Well, in this case the forum list consistently showed one post less than present, and correctly stated, within the thread up to and including the current 6 posts (5 replies in the forum list). I have not seen the forum list become correct until today; and John saw what I saw.

So I believe this is a worst case, more die hard, if not something different. As hinted in the OP, we may have reached what corresponds to the Planck time of the software and ended in an uncertainty area where number and time of posts has been indeterminable; and maybe the recovery time before correct recounting is a day or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote on 2/10/2010 3:08 PM:

Well, in this case the forum list consistently showed one post less than present

When you say consistently, do you mean you checked all 4 cluster nodes?

So I believe this is a worst case, more die hard, if not something different. As hinted in the OP, we may have reached what corresponds to the Planck time of the software and ended in an uncertainty area where number and time of posts has been indeterminable; and maybe the recovery time before correct recounting is a day or so.

Depending on the configuration the Coherence cluster of these forums

could be described as "eventual consistency":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eventual_consistency

Even the post counts that always went wrong due to programming errors in

the moderation logic eventually sorted themselves out. I wouldn't worry

too much about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jochem,

When you say consistently, do you mean you checked all 4 cluster nodes?

If I had a clue about cluster nodes, I might never have started this thread.

I am not worried at all, only sharing an observation of an inconsistency between the forum list and the thread as seen by anyone using a browser here.

The concept eventual consistency is new to me, and I will certainly remember it. Although it somehow reminds me of the saying: In the long term we shall all be dead (I cannot remember which lady said it some years ago, and in which context).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines