• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Yet ANOTHER New Problem - Can No Longer Upload an Image with 64 Bit IE9

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been uploading images as part of forum posts successfully for weeks using IE9 64 bit, set for Compatibility View.

Suddenly, starting yesterday, using the little camera icon with IE9 64 bit, when I hit the [Browse] button, the entire IE window just disappears, losing the response in progress!

Doing the exact same thing in IE9 32 bit works, and brings up the dialog with which to select a file.  So now the workaround is that I must use the 32 bit IE to access this site.

Nothing is changing on this end.  No new Add-ons, no config changes.  Cache has been cleared to no avail.  Nothing appears in the Windows event logs.

Can you folks please try a little harder to settle this forum software down?  It's getting rather frustrating to have features just keep dropping out like this.

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a bit more investigation, it appears a change was made to set the default location for the File - Open dialog now to "Desktop".  I say this because the 32 bit version now opens to that location every time - opposed to defaulting to the last place files were attached from, which makes MUCH more sense.

So even with the 32 bit IE, when it does work, I have to do more navigating to get to the same place from which I insert images every time.

Why was such a change made?

Please change it back.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote on 11/04/08 14:53:

On a bit more investigation, it appears a change was made to set the default location for the File - Open dialog now to "Desktop". I say this because the 32 bit version now opens to that location every time - opposed to defaulting to the last place files were attached from, which makes MUCH more sense.

Please change it back.

That is a browser preference, not a preference set by some site through

HTML. If you are unable to get this configured properly you need to ask

in a Microsoft IE forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

ask in a Microsoft IE forum.

Or search for an article at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

That is a browser preference, not a preference set by some site through HTML. If you are unable to get this configured properly you need to ask in a Microsoft IE forum.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Your answer sounds authoritative, but just what preference would you say governs this behavior?  I don't believe there is one, at least not one that directly sets the IE default open folder behavior.  And I don't have my browser delete its cache or anything on the way out.

Your answer would seem reasonable but for the fact that the behavior I'm observing changed here recently - in the past week or so - without my having changed browser preferences.  Could a Windows Update have changed IE9?  Possibly, but I don't recall there being one specifically that coincided with this observed change.

No disrespect intended, but there's no reason to think the script driving the File Open dialog can't request a specific starting folder.  That's what I think has been changed here.

Captiv8r wrote:

For me, the dialog simply opens to the last place I elected to open from. It stays that way until I choose to change it again.

What browser/version are you running?  Just curious.  And have you cleared your cache and checked with the current forum software?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote on 11/04/08 19:20:

Your answer sounds authoritative, but just what preference would you say governs this behavior?

I have no idea. But the only way a website can suggest which folder

opens in the pop up dialogue file explorer is by prefilling the value of

the uploaded file with some path and the forums are not doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually tested what I described using IE9 in Compatibility View?  I'm still looking for confirmation that the "most recently used" folder is the one others see with this particular combination of software and forum.

I have come to believe the fault with the 64 bit IE9 may be on my end, because I've deconfigured Explorer to show Libraries and Favorites.  I just didn't hit this before because the dialog wasn't defaulting to "Desktop".

But that doesn't change the fact that something has changed with regard to the prompt for image file to upload.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

I have come to believe the fault with the 64 bit IE9 may be on my end, because I've deconfigured Explorer to show Libraries and Favorites.

I've confirmed this:  MY FAULT.  It was the disabling of the display of Favorites, specifically, that caused the fault.  So now I can upload images from IE9 64 bit again.

But the folder, in a new IE9 session, resets to start on the Desktop every time, and that's not my doing, nor is the storage and default of the folder used in a prior IE session configurable by any setting I can discover.  Perhaps this is because of some recent change in IE9.  This is certainly changed since about a week ago.

ChooseFileToUpload.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a follow-up, I've figured out what sets the persistent "current folder" with IE9...  SAVING a file.  That's right, it doesn't matter how many times I upload a file, the default folder for the next upload becomes the last one I did a Save As into.  A bit twisted to say the least.

I noticed this because for a time my initial folder stayed Computer, as I reported above, then having downloaded a file and done a Save As, now I find that download folder is the starting point whenever I start an image upload here.

Not at all intuitive.  At this point I think it's probably just an IE quirk.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel

For me, the dialog simply opens to the last place I elected to open from. It stays that way until I choose to change it again.

I figured all browsers worked this way and was unaware that any we page could influence that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines