• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A new improvement

LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can no longer change the font in my messages from the almost illegible tiny bad copy of Helvetica that someone chose for these forums, to one of the fonts that have been specially designed for screen reading like Verdana. I can make and see the change on screen, but text reverts to Arial on posting.

Safari/Mac; Explorer and Safari on Windows 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing

something is better

than

nothing

line breaks provided by

Jive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

You mean to tell me that  the designers of this great software can not remove the button for style (color)  you were able to  remove the button to insert files.

I thought you said it was an easy fix Phil? No suggestions on how to actually do this easy chore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

You mean to tell me that  the designers of this great software can not remove the button for style (color)  you were able to  remove the button to insert files.

I thought you said it was an easy fix Phil? No suggestions on how to actually do this easy chore?

I've reviewed my comments, in this thread. no where can I find where I said it was easy.

Okay where is the exact forum on jive to report these matters. Atleast the pople at jive will know that someone other than JVD is aware of the issues. That at least someone cares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

I've reviewed my comments, in this thread. no where can I find where I said it was easy.

Okay where is the exact forum on jive to report these matters. Atleast the pople at jive will know that someone other than JVD is aware of the issues. That at least someone cares.

PjonesCET wrote:

You could have done the same thing by simply  removing the Color Button all together. and removed the ability to add color manually, instead of using a meat axe approach.

I think your exact words are right above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

You could have done the same thing by simply  removing the Color Button all together. and removed the ability to add color manually, instead of using a meat axe approach.

I think your exact words are right above.

at any point in the above did I say it was easy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

Yes.

Here is what I said : You could have done the same thing by simply removing the Color Button  all together. and removed the ability to add color manually, instead of  using a meat axe approach.

the word simply is a reference to what should have been removed, not not that it was a simply job to do. Perhaps I should have left the word simply out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that you said it could be done with no knowledge to support that statement. Maybe you did not mean it was easy, but that is how you came across.

However this is not really relevant. The fact is, that Jochem showed you to be wrong. It can not be done.

You'd do well to gracefully admit your mistake and get on with it instead of shoving the shoe further and further in...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Perhaps I should have left the word simply out

Perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we are already past the point where this discussion

should have ended. My original question was answered at the very beginning of this thread, but I forgot to mark it as answered then, so I'm doing it now. Let's hope this help to end this sterile discussion about whether Phillip should be crucified or we'd better close the door.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's hope this help to end this sterile discussion about whether Phillip should be crucified or we'd better close the door.

thank you, kind sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

You said we could do it. Now that you have access to the documentation you can see for yourself which options we have in configuring these forums. Do you still say that we can configure these forums so that the features are enabled but people can not hide spam? If so, how? If not, what is more important to you, having the features or fighting the spam?

Click "New" -> "Discussion" -> "Browse for more locations" -> "All Communities" to see where you are allowed to post and pick the most appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is more important to you, having the features or fighting the spam?

Having the features.

You do not put everyone in jail because of one criminal.  You do not infringe on the rights of decent people because of a few indecent people.  You do not take away useful features because some abuse them.

Find another way to fix the spam.  If you have to move away from this POS Jive, then do it.  But put the features back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find another way to fix the spam.  If you have to move away from this POS Jive, then do it.  But put the features back!

I (as well as many others in all likelihood) agree completely, but I'd have to say that after almost two years of this Jiveness, with all the dissatisfaction that has been expressed, with all the bugs (like the random line break) that are still there, it would seem as though Adobe Corp could care less. They are seemingly unable to fix - or to have fixed - the bugs in this software, nor do they seem to be interested in upgrading, or switching to something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

Having the features.

You do not put everyone in jail because of one criminal.  You do not infringe on the rights of decent people because of a few indecent people.  You do not take away useful features because some abuse them.

I agree . The features. and a Working forum where y

ou don't have starnge line breaks.  WE all use  Email with filters. Doesn't the Forum people know anything about setting up Filters for spam.

Yes w

e need to ditch Jive software. Even PHPbb is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

You do not infringe on the rights of decent people because of a few indecent people.  You do not take away useful features because some abuse them.

The TSA screeners would disagree with that statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But The TSA people are checking for safety and security of Travelers from Terrorism.

T

he likelyh

ood of such concerns on an adobe forum is unlik

ely.

Biggest thing we have to w

orry about here is  someone selling meds directed at the males that frequent here

Get rich quick scheme, or s

elling  products not related  adobe products.

That could be handled by filters on the Servers  Plus a Policy like Microsoft's. If an abuse request its put in That account with that address is checked out they find out who actually sent it and permanent Block is put on that specify email (they looked for the spoofed address and go back to originator. If its determined its an actual account holder They remove the account and block the email address associated with that acount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

I have probably said this more than once, but I frequent other non-Adobe forums that are equally active and should therefore receive as much spam as these. But they manage quite all right to filter spam very efficiently, and to remove very quickly any spam that manages to get through, without sacrificing any feature. Of course, they are also very quick in repairing any bug reported by users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

Having the features.

But, But, But... That's not the American way! Less than .0001% of the population carries bombs onto airplanes. Yet ALL of us (including the pilots) now have to be screened as a result!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

But, But, But... That's not the American way! Less than .0001% of the population carries bombs onto airplanes. Yet ALL of us (including the pilots) now have to be screened as a result!

Cheers... Rick

We could talk a lot about American ways, but that's not the point. There are other sites that get rid of spam without sacrificing features, and do not keep for months and months menu items that are non operative...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cheers... Rick

Yeah, and that is rather stupid, IMO. What next? Body cavity searches? It's the next logical step, after all.

That aside, truly, it is remarkable that the problems with the forum software remain more-or-less unfixed. One would think that, if nothing else, that Jive would be somewhat concerned about just how bad this forum makes their product look & do something about it. Guess they figure no one comes here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To really get back on the track, and deal with the real issue:

Claudio González wrote:

I can no longer change the font in my messages from the almost illegible tiny bad copy of Helvetica that someone chose for these forums, to one of the fonts that have been specially designed for screen reading like Verdana. I can make and see the change on screen, but text reverts to Arial on posting.

Safari/Mac; Explorer and Safari on Windows 7.

In addition, all the other styling options that were part of the new and improved forums, are gone.

As Jochem wrote in the first post (using the Tab to at least hint at the following being a quote):

That is a consequence of closing a number of loopholes that allowed spammers to inject invisible links in messages.

But IMHO this is a very positive side effect. Font control now lies with the reader of these forums who can use the techniques described in the FAQ to control how text should be rendered. This allows people to choose

a font that matches the way they read these forums depending on device (laptop or mobile phone), application (browser or client) etc.

The FAQs deal with stylesheets downloadable for certain browsers from somewhere else and the use of HTML.

Exactly which improvements does this leave us with  as compared to the fair forums (where we could just insert quotes from (any part/number of) other posts and have each stand out clearly, and where we could also use HTML, even without having to change the mode back and forth, and without the mess often created here (actually, I am still using the same HTML snippets))?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a small, tangential suggestion about 'quoting' (as per your comment below):

As Jochem wrote in the first post (using the Tab to at least hint at the following being a quote😞

An alternative to using the often-irritating 'quote' feature, is to use the 'indent' instead.

[Edit: except that the excemental thing does not appear to work for the first post. How about the second?]

[Edit again: Nope! Scratch my suggestion: though the indent feature USED to work (I used it! I did!), and while it appears to work while one is in the message box, it no longer works once you post. A new improvement indeed! ]

{And in case anyone's sarcasm filters are not working, I really mean: what a piece of soft excretory matter this Jive Software is!}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so we're back to the same (actually less) options than we had under web crossing, less secure, buggier, slower... why did they change again? why do they persist on beating the dead jive horse?

http://milbut.org/images/sp_beatingdeadhorse.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

so we're back to the same (actually less) options than we had under web crossing, less secure, buggier, slower... why did they change again? why do they persist on beating the dead jive horse?

Actually, the question is not, "...why do they persist on beating the dead jive horse?" But, "Why does the dead jive horse persist in allowing them to keep beating him."?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines