• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ability to Ignore a User?

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't run across it, but does this forum support the ability to have one user just not show posts from another particular user?  Sometimes some folks just don't want to hear from specific others, and that would be a handy way to make life more pleasant...

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

No, that is not an available feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that is not an available feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

You could get a large-tipped erasable marker, and just strike through their posts... Make sure that you get the erasable marker though.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might be a bit less expensive than using stickpins and a pocket knife, eh? 

Actually, there isn't anyone at the moment that I wish to ignore, but I was thinking back on a time there was an individual who, let's just say, needed ignoring.  I ignored him manually, and that seems to have worked.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. I have wanted to ignore some people too, but as I have been married to my wife for 40 years, it ain't gonna' happen...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note I edited my last post to add:

…afplonk!, courtesy of and copyright by Dave Milbut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting!  Thank you Ramon and Dave!

I've been teetering on the edge of switching to FireFox instead of IE9.  Right now they're neck and neck, though FF seems to have the edge in allowing me to set up its UI to be a little less intrusive than IE9.  Perhaps this will give me an incentive to try FireFox just to fool with this script (and the script capability in general).

And let me just say I'm honored not to have made your plonk list, Ramon. 

Thanks again.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

…does this forum support the ability to have one user just not show posts from another particular user?  Sometimes some folks just don't want to hear from specific others, and that would be a handy way to make life more pleasant...

Not through the Jive software alone, but with Firefox and Greasemonkey I've been selectively ignoring users for a long time.  It works a treat.

Just google afplonk!, courtesy of and copyright by Dave Milbut.

Instructions for installing, updating and using afPlonk.

afPlonk is a greasemonkey script. Greasemonkey is a firefox extension that runs custom scripts based on where the user is on the web. This script allows users of the adobeforums.com website to block users whom they find annoying or offensive. GPL licensed by me. Feel free to use it and update it. Just don't take credit for it and I'd appreciate it if you do modify it, if you can send me any updates. cheers, dave.

This only works in firefox.

you need to download greasemonkey. get it from firefox addons (tools> manage add ons> browser for new addons, search for greasemonkey.)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=greasemonkey&cat=all

then download the script: http://milbut.org/afPlonk.user.js (right click the link, select "Save Link As")

afPlonk stands for adobeforums Plonk

"Plonk" is a Usenet jargon term for adding a particular poster to one's kill file such that the poster's future postings are completely ignored. It was first used in 1989 and by 1994 was a commonly used term on Usenet regarding kill file additions. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plonk for more information.

• save it to your desktop.
  • edit it with wordpad or notepad or your favorite text editor.
  • replace the string "Some Jerk" with the name you want to ignore. add more names like this: "Some Jerk","Some Jerk2","Some Jerk3" etc.
  • save that file. leave the file as it. must be a straight text document, not rtf, not doc, or whatever. leave the name as is. it should be called: "afPlonk.user.js"
  • right click that file on your desktop.
  • select "Open With"
  • browse for firefox.exe (should be in something like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe)

if greasemonkey is enabled, you'll see a prompt telling you that you're about to install a script. go for it.

happy plonking.

(ff mac users, should be very similar. use a text editor to add names. then open the script with firefox and it should load.)

• Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,
    Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here I thought that "plonk" was used to describe the wines served on most airlines...

Back in the Usenet days, it was a very common term, and for the above stated reason. I have not heard it in the last few years, but do have to admit that I spend very, very little time on NNTP nowadays. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

One note on FF - with the right plug-in (Stylist, IIRC), one can change the "(Updated)" in the main forum page to the old, "red flags," that I miss from the long gone forums. While I do not care about plonking anyone (that I can think of anyway), those red flags are tempting me. Still, Chrome is working fine, so maybe I will not temp fate.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

red flags is another one of mine! feel free to take any of the scripts i've written and modify to your hearts content. the only stipulation i usually put on that kind of sharing is if it's possible, please share back to the community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines