• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

About the Adobe Forums (and our moderation policy)

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello --

The Adobe Forums have undergone a series of changes both out front and behind the scenes. In addition to the new forum software (which remains a work in progress), Adobe is working to make the forums a more inviting and respectful community. Going forward, forum moderation will reflect the philosophy outlined below.

Purpose of Adobe Forums

The Adobe Forums are a place for Adobe software users to congregate, ask questions, and share experiences of using Adobe products with their peers. Message posts that threaten, abuse, or start verbal fights will not be tolerated in any of the forums. Any post that insults another community member, moderator, or administrator will be removed with no warning. Users who continue such behavior will be warned and will have their forum posting rights removed.

Purposes of Specific Forum Areas

The product forums are for discussions of the various Adobe software programs.    The Forum Comments Forum is for reporting new issues with the Forums or for asking general information about how to use the forums in a civilized manner. Critical comments about the forum are welcome if presented in a constructive manner. A list of forum issues is posted at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433723?tstart=0. If a known issue is already listed there, redundant new messages about that same issue will be deleted.

Changes to the Photoshop Lounge

The Photoshop Lounge has been established as an area for off-topic social messaging. As such, the Lounge forum has been renamed to The Lounge (dropping the Photoshop moniker) and has been moved from the Photoshop Forum to the General Forum. The Lounge Forum is not a place for religious, political, or inappropriate discussions, which will be deleted.

We thank those who continue to respect the forums and other users in this community and hope that these changes will make your experiences more enjoyable.

- Mark Nichoson

Adobe Community Help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users who continue such behavior will be warned and will have their forum posting rights removed.

Good luck with that. When are you going to follow through on banning LT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kath:  we ban LT every day. We are working on getting a more permanent solution in place but please let us know if you see him reaapearing under any new accounts and we will take care of it right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lounge (dropping the Photoshop moniker) and has been moved from the Photoshop Forum to the General Forum. The Lounge Forum

And as per my recent post, HOW does one access this on the main forums page as it is not listed under the General Forums?

Critical comments about the forum are welcome if presented in a constructive manner

And who is judging whether or not the moderators are moderating in a constructive manner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will be updating the main Forum page shortly to reflect the new Lounge location. As for the ongoing evaluation of our moderators, Adobe greatly values the time, expertise, and enthusiasm that these volunteers bring to the community. They are the life blood of the community and deserve a great deal of support and praise for their contributions.

That said, all of our moderators work closely with our internal Adobe admins and we will continue to ensure that these non-Adobe volunteers have the training, guidance, and support that they need to succeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's unfortunate Mark, but the sense of community seems to be mostly gone. 

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding your list of dos and don'ts, will we be allowed the latitude of seemingly off-topic banter that, in the past, has gotten more conversation going about the ins and outs of using one technique or another?  From the looks of things, it would seem that we are going to be limited to specifc answers to questions and not to veer off the well beaten path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we all share the same goal here: to revive that sense of community and make these forums a vibrant, positive place for people to share their experiences and contribute their knowledge. What we're trying to do here is make sure that the negative behavior of a few bad apples is not adversely affecting the whole community -- or otherwise keeping other members of the community from participating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have one concern about having the Lounge in the General Forum. Since the main page has not yet been updated...once that does get updated I suspect that there will be a greater amount of posts related to products and not off topic comments/banter (just as the Forum Comments section often gets an influx of software related posts). The Lounge was not (or had very little) moderating before this move...is someone going to actively be moderating the Lounge now? And can there be a sticky at the top to remind everyone that the Lounge is not for specific software questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main Forums page has now been updated and we have added a sticky to the top of the Lounge per your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't the reporting of a given bug by individuals actually be used to used to gauge the severity of the bug. (you count the number of reports). Rather than have any duplicates removed. doing that. you only see one complaint. Then you think , well we only had one complaint, so it must not be a big deal. For example the 404 issue, or the  being logged out in the middle of a reply only to have have half or more of your reply gone after you sign in go back and click on the same person you are replying to. Almost everyone that's been on any of the forums have had this happen to them frequently. The sign on issue not being constant issue. Some days I can sign and last for 24 hours (acceptable although permanent would be ideal); however; today for example today I've already had to log on twice. since 8 this morning.

If you have 40-50 reportings of the log on issue or the 404 error issue then that means those should be the top items to fix ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark Nichoson wrote:

I think we all share the same goal here: to revive that sense of community and make these forums a vibrant, positive place for people to share their experiences and contribute their knowledge. ...

You really have no clue about organic growth and self-leveling peer group moderation and modulation, do you?

Codify it, and everything will go as planned, I suppose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we ban LT every day. We are working on getting a more permanent solution in place but please let us know if you see him reaapearing under any new accounts and we will take care of it right away.

Well no, you don't. You remove his posts but MonteCristo663 has been around a while now. I just think this is the one person I've ever seen in here who really does need a permanent ban, but hosts have been trying for years and never succeeded. On the whole I think all this instant deleting and removing you talk about is counter-productive, but for the sake of credibility you need to be able to carry out your threat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask about the death threats and the FBI contact, Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 03, 2009 Nov 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark Nichoson wrote:

I think we all share the same goal here: to revive that sense of community and make these forums a vibrant, positive place for people to share their experiences and contribute their knowledge.

Hmmmm... Now you want this to be a vibrant, positive place for people to share their experiences and contribute their knowledge. As was already noted Adobe had this before they ruined the forum with the Jive crap. Now that you have driven off all the knowledgeable people this place is a joke I hope Adobe is pleased with themselves.

As a Design Software Company one would think that a slow, poorly designed, inconvenient, forum would be something that you would want to avoid. Add to that Mods who have absolutely no social skills you basically have a disaster on your hands. The level of questions being asked in this forum has degenerated into newbies asking basic questions because they are much too lazy to read Adobe's poor documentation. All indepth discussions about the software and what can be accomplished has completely disappeared.

This forum is neither positive or vibrant and until the Mods are gone, the Hosts are back, and this monumental disaster Jive space is replaced with something that is fast, pleasing to the eye, and does not waste space with Avatars, points and posting totals its going to be quite some time before you have a sense of community back in these fuffy kittens forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lounge Forum is not a place for religious, political, or inappropriate discussions, which will be deleted.

Considering that the political threads are the only ones which, seemingly, still continue to draw much interest these days, that's funny. One also wonders what other subjects might be 'inappropriate'? Anyway, I'm largely done with this place, so I don't much care. Good luck with all that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, I'm largely done with this place, so I don't much care. Good luck with all that.

Seeing the recent abundance of posts from employees and the changes that are happening around here, sure makes you wonder where this is all going...

I don't log in on the weekends and I can come back to the Lounge and it's like I haven't missed a thing anymore. I go to the Forum Comments and read a few topics and there is one particular recent thread where so many posts have been [edited by a moderator] that it doesn't even make sense and is a total waste of time to click on...might as well have deleted the whole thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of half-truths and misapprehensions going on here!

Give the guy a break!

Having said that, I don't like expressions like

"... make these forums a vibrant, positive place for people to share their experiences and contribute their knowledge."

You can't make it happen – either it develops that way or it doesn't; and since most of the interesting and knowledgeable people have left in frustration or disgust, the chances are slim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having said that, I don't like expressions like

"... make these forums a vibrant, positive place for people to share their experiences and contribute their knowledge."

Me either; the word "vibrant", especially, makes my left eye twitch uncontollably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A list of forum issues is posted at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433723?tstart=0.

It is nice to have a partially renewed report on what's been done to improve these forums. I am however highly disconcerted when I see the same person who edited the list posting a message such as this, which I don't find in the least hopeful:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2359409#2359409.

And we are still using version 2.5.7 of Clearspace!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooh! Saw the sticky note at the top of what remains of the Photoshop Lounge. It sure do give me the warm fuzzies! (Bolding & 18 point font size mine.)

This is a forum for off-topic discussions between forum users. It is not a place for any product-specific discussions. Forum users are responsible for the content of this forum. Inappropriate content will be removed without warning. By posting in this forum you agree that your content may be removed at any time. Forum etiquette and guidelines are strictly enforced.

Deleting bookmark now. Hope y'all enjoy a 'vibrant', 'positive' Lounge experience, and..... don't forget.....By posting in that forum, you agree that your content may be removed at any time!

Don't it make ya' feel welcome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't shoot the messenger!

You don't have to be a grizzled (and grizzly) Photoshop forum veteran to sort out the mess that has occurred here. In fact preconcieved ideas of how things should work are probably a disadvantage at this stage of the game.

The disaffected old Photoshop crowd (of which I am one) have to realise that the cosy little world we had up until March has gone. It's a tragedy, but it has gone, and most of the people who made it what it was have also gone.

You also have to realise that, although PS is adobe's "flagship" application, it is but a small part of the "vision" of the corporate leaders up there who have replaced the small band who ran the outfit in the early days.

You only have to look at the (poorly designed and effect overladen) opening pages of adobe.com to realise what a small cog these forums are in the adobe machine. I got in there by accident but got out fast after a dose of the high-flown management-speak and corporate earnestness shining through the marketeers' veneer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"A vibrant, positive place for people to share their experiences and contribute their knowledge."

THAT is exactly what it was before this new and improved version.

These forums show no sign of improving.  They only get worse.  Now, in the Lounge, they are going to dictate what subjects can be discussed.  That's absurd.  No political views allowed.  Even more absurd.  It's the Lounge.  We should be able to exchange views on any subject there, as long as it's done in a responsible and mature way.  WE ARE NOT CHILDREN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT is exactly what it was before this new and improved version.

Yep. Can I give you 10 points?

If the lousy interface, loss of people and all weren't enough, the [I'm paraphrasing ]  "You agree that we may treat you like garbage and delete your content without warning" notice will likely ensure that I never post in the Lounge again.

I must agree with those who have said the community that once existed is now basically gone, and that it is a tragedy. I sure do hope it affects Adobe's bottom line!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I do agree with PJ that knowing how many times and how many people are affected by a specific issue *should* be helpful in attempting to both prioritize and troubleshoot the issues.

and I also agree with Ann, I was taken aback by the tone of the OP.

and, sadly, I believe John is right, what we had, what we all lost, is gone, never to return.  I fear this will cost Adobe in more than just their forum reputation, but in their bottom line as well.

it's all very sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines