Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe & General Motors

Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I compare Adobe now to what General Motors was for the last few decades.  GM was a large corporation that built quality cars for many years.  They even produced the Cadillac.  A name brand once known and respected all over the world.  It was not uncommon to hear; "This television is the Cadillac of televisions".

Starting in the 1970's they started to let quality slide.  The fit and finish of their products obviously was not as good.  Reliability declined.  This drop in quality occurred while imported cars were gaining sales.

GM's response during the 80's & 90's was to continue building cars that the doors and paint fell off.  Pouring money into advertizing seemed to be the answer to the people at the top.  Changing name plates became their strategy.  No real attempt was made to fix the problems, only to cover them up.  Customer complaints were ignored.  Repairs involved shortcuts.

Now Adobe.  A highly respected company that produced the world's best software for image editing.  One may even say it is the Cadillac of image editing.   Until recently.  Now Photoshop is a program that many cannot get installed.  If you manage to get it installed it may not run, or not run efficiently.  Try to uninstall it and it may leave files on your computer that the purchaser must track down and delete before trying a reinstall.

If you try to get assistance from Adobe it is likely that you will be connected to a person that speaks English, but it won't be an English that you understand.  And there is no assurance that the person has a clue on how to fix the problem.

These "new and improved" forums represent Adobe's attitude concerning the users of their products.  We've stated what we, THE USERS, like and don't like.  We have been ignored.

I'll leave it to you to decide if there is a similarity between Adobe & GM.  I believe there is.

In no way is this meant to cast blame on the many fine people that work for Adobe.  And PsCS4 works pretty well for me, but many people do have problems.  And even if Ps worked great for everyone. these forums are still a joke in their present form.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I blame macromedia...

you know the shiete will hit the fan (or not, thinking about how much adobe seems to care these days) when people begin to say "i'm going to photoshop this picture of our band for our new cd" then go ahead and use the Gimp for their editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macromedia's strategy

1 ) create crappy products that are "just good enough" to get noticed

2 ) court and marry (get bought out by) the big boy

3 ) pump out a couple of (shoddy sub-par) kids

4 ) divorce and make off with all the big boy's gold leaving him a financial and emotional wreck

5 ) PROFIT!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought this was funny at first, then it just got depressing. It's a little too similar isn't it? I don't think the cause of the downfall is the same but the pattern otherwise looks similar.

Photoshop... heh, for me it's not Gimp (terrible UI, learning curve, and I think crap documentation is a waste of my time and I can't be bothered), it's Paint Shop Pro as the alternative.  Preferably one of the old versions like 5, although I suppose the current one is "ok".  It sucks in some ways just like all "mature" software tends to get: bloated and so full of crap that it actually becomes more complicated to do something simple quickly, and more difficult to learn/get used to.  I thought software improvements were supposed to... improve productivity?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all "mature" software tends to get: bloated and so full of crap that it actually becomes more complicated to do something simple quickly, and more difficult to learn/get used to.  I thought software improvements were supposed to... improve productivity?

I HATE HATE HATE the state of software these days!  Bloatware is now the rule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's why Chrome seems to be so well recieved... everything else, even Opera which used to easily be the fastest (not so sure anymore), seems to be getting bigger, "better"....and slower.

But don't worry, if Chrome follows the pattern, soon we'll be hating that too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hate chrome. and i'm a geek's uber-geek. new != mo bettah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True but I felt the same way about Firefox previously and now I feel similarly: popular among the kids != mo bettah.

A browser for me needs two things: speed and it needs to work correctly.. everything else is just fluff and bloatware!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A browser for me needs two things: speed and it needs to work correctly.. everything else is just fluff and bloatware!

firefox!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

firefox!

icevixen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines