• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe site - illegible text

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe site uses a fixed font size on many, if not most pages.This is almost illegible on high resolution monitors and, as it is fixed, zooming the page enlarges everything you don't need to enlarge and keeps the body copy the same illegible size.

Using a 27" Apple monitor, the copy shows up on screen at a miniscule 6.75 pt. I have to use a hardware zoom to read the blinkin' content.

How is this a good thing? Can't figure out why they dropped the relational font size tag.

By the way, I couldn't find any website feedback link. I hope an Adobe rep is following this forum.

Thanks,

-TY

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what a relational database is, but can you explain the relational font?  I have never heard of such a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2012 Aug 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're talking about relative font sizing (as opposed to absolute font sizing).

Ems and % (and even smaller or larger) vs points and pixels.

Having said that, most of the pages at www.adobe.com use % for font sizing as far as I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2012 Aug 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's clear not everyone understands you, customizer2.

I'm not personally having trouble reading any of Adobe's fonts, and what's there seems to be the size it is on purpose.  I'm not seeing any problems with browser zoom either, though I normally run at 100%.

Perhaps a screen grab showing what you're seeing would be helpful.  Here's what I see:

IE10AdobePage.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

While the initial (un-zoomed) font IS small on my laptop via browser, I am copasetic with the browser's zoom function, though there are some "warts," that come along with that. I have decided to live with it, though I still grumble in the appropriate thread, in case the Forum Design Team is reading, or even cares.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

Noel,

…I am copasetic with the…

Is that the British spelling of copacetic?   Honest question, not a criticism.  I've seen you spell it like that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was what Spellcheck changed it to. I had always spelled the word, just as you typed, but assumed that I had always been wrong? Teach me to trust Spellcheck...

Thanks for that correction,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Relational? I meant proportional. This is a 2560x1440 display, which makes things appear smaller than on a display with a lower resolution, such as a non-retina laptop. When I hold up a point gauge to the screen, the font shows up as 6.75 pt, which is waaaay too small. When you use the keyboard to zoom, it enlarges all of the images, but the font size remains fixed, which defeats the reason for zooming. The only way to read the text is to use hardware zoom, which zooms the entire image on screen and moves a big chunk of the web page right off the screen.

Until around a year or so ago, the text was set to respond to zooming, but someone at Adobe must have figured that the text looked just fine on a 17" monitor and blew off the proportional scaling. (I am convinced that Adobe and Apple have been drinking the same Kool-Aid, seeing things from a limited perspective and, due to a lack of imagination, dismissing anything that does not occur to them on their own, such as the possibility that anyone could own a 2560x1440 display.)

BTW, I have tried to upload an image multiple times over a couple of days, but after navigating to the image (in a compatible format, naturally), the upload button does not respond. I'll try again, but this site seems to be running like molasses today. It took over two minutes for this forum page to load.

Nope. The upload wont work - JPEG, GIF, whatever....

Being a creative director, I am keenly aware that when marketing copy is too hard to read, it alienates the visitor, it reduces the length of their visit, and it limits the amount of information the visitor is willing to absorb. As any marketing person will tell you, this goes against common sense. The issue behind the issue on Adobe's site is that the person calling the shots on the page design is a web-head and not a marketing professional. A marketing person would know better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

customizer 2 wrote:

…Nope. The upload wont work - JPEG, GIF, whatever…

Are you using the little camera icon in the Reply Editor of web interface of the forum?

Adobe_forums_cameraicon.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, that is the only way to upload an image to the forum. I can call up the window and navigate to the file but the upload button stays grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What platform/browser are you using in the Forums?

Bill Hunt, is this the same issue you reported recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John C.,

No, I have not had any issues with adding an image, via the little "camera" icon. That still works for me.

My issue was when adding a link to a word, or phrase, which worked fine until fairly recently, and now seems broken. Looking about, I think that it is a Javascript issue on my end, but have not found the "fix" yet.

The camera still attaches the images correctly:

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first noticed the problem a long time ago. This is the only site (out of thousands) with which I have enountered this problem and, while it is evident with the small descriptive / body copy text on almost all pages, a few other pages, including the company info page, behave normally.

The version of Safari I was using both before and after the change was Safari 5.0.something. Currently I am using 5.1.7 on my Snow Leopard startup drive and version 6 something on my Mountain Lion startup drive.

If I were to guess, I would say that there is something in the code that switches style sheets according to browser. I would assume that the fixed vs scalable type is a style sheet thing.

Thanks,

-TY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

customizer2 wrote:

When you use the keyboard to zoom, it enlarges all of the images, but the font size remains fixed, which defeats the reason for zooming. The only way to read the text is to use hardware zoom, which zooms the entire image on screen and moves a big chunk of the web page right off the screen.

I can reproduce this behavior right on Adobe's main page, but only with Safari.  Personally I think it's more a bug with Safari than Adobe's web design.  As far as I know, browser zoom is not supposed to be dependent on web page content.

Perhaps you might want to consider using a better browser (e.g. Firefox) until Apple fixes the problem.

Here are multiple browser zoom levels, selected by keyboard Control + key combinations, showing how it works in a browser that's working properly.

Adobe100.png

Adobe110.png

Adobe120.png

Adobe130.png

Adobe140.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't change browsers. Adobe changed the site. There are still pages on adobe.com where it works, for example, the company info page. I am thinking that they may have some sort of weird code in the style sheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

customizer2 wrote:

I didn't change browsers. Adobe changed the site.

As a web designer I'd certainly test all changes with all browsers at multiple zoom levels and avoid doing things that break the appearance of the site across popular browsers, but unless somehow Adobe is actively overriding the browser zoom (e.g., with a script) this really seems like it has to be more of a browser bug that Adobe somehow uncovered - I really don't know of any way with HTML that you're supposed to be able to override the browser zoom level.

I tried the site on an iPhone to see how the zoom would fare there, but they redirect to a set of mobile device-specific pages.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines