• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Allow signatures

Contributor ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but make them contain camera and computer platform details - useful for troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we go again!

This has been discussed ad nauseam.

Please do not allow signatures.  Ban those who use them.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in your other thread, you have every right to vote for allowing signatures as I have to vote AGAINST them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

purely for computer specs and camera platform, not for long winded "i am the greatest person in the world and aren't I witty" sigs.

It has proved useful for troubleshooting on places like Lightroom Forums, where there is also a civil tone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MethodPhoto wrote:

purely for computer specs and camera platform, not for long winded "i am the greatest person in the world and aren't I witty" sigs.

The scope of forum users goes well beyond photographers.  Also, some of us have enough cameras to fill two forum pages worth if we listed them.  It's absurd.

If necessary, you can always ask, as in:

<a target=new href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9"><b><u><font color=blue>CLICK HERE</font></u></b></a> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!

EDIT:  The link is broken because it led to a post by a forum host in the old forums.  We'll have to dig it out somehow.

The bottom line is that signatures waste space, are obnoxious and unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MethodPhoto wrote:

and how would you stop them otherwise?  i say NO on sigs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

and how would you stop them otherwise?  i say NO on sigs.

+1 for me to. I hate sigs. It became an issue on the old Macromedia Dreamweaver forums when people whom had written a couple of books just had to brag about them. Quite obnoxious. Once you allow them, then there is no way to police them; and of course the majority of people visiting for just help won't have them prefilled anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

Once you allow them, then there is no way to police them; and of course the majority of people visiting for just help won't have them prefilled anyway.

Exactly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

Once you allow them, then there is no way to police them;

bingo!

YOU KNOW...

i really dislike how it's difficult to reply to multiple messages in one comment now. that was a very handy feature in the webx forum...

you know...

>quote 1

reply 1

>quote 2

reply 2

>quote 3

reply 3

etc.... by bringing you to a totally seperate screen (the new rich edit screen) you lose the full thread view that allowed one to scroll up and down, taking multiple quotes to reply to in a single post...

so the software encourages short threads with all the clicking on the page #s and the wah HEY nGlavin and then encourages LONG threads by making (ok encouraging) you to post a seperate reply for each time you want to reply to a specific point.

grrrr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here to vote a limited yes, but after reflecting upon previous posts, I now agree: no.

It can be useful to know what OS is being used, what version of the software, etc.  But the tendency with signatures on other help forums is to use them to draw attention to one's self: to make a political statement, to brag about equipment owned, to be cute.  People coming on board to ask for help are rarely going to have a signature that would give the relevant information which can easily be provided in the body of the post.  Most posts are generated by forum regulars and there's no need to have signature information in each and every one of their posts.  And signatures do clutter up and slow the forums and can spawn resentment which can lead to flamewars, so, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely allow signatures. Signatures are a very useful way to submit personal standard information necessary when posting about problems here. To me the "bubble" design wastes more space than the signatures would. Everybody is free to add a signature or not. I don't know any other forum, which did not allow signatures.

Regards

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tgutgu wrote:

…. Everybody is free to add a signature or not.

Unfortunately, there's no way for other users to block them. 

tgutgu wrote:

… I don't know any other forum, which did not allow signatures.

Signatures were always discouraged, criticized and ridiculed in all the Adobe forums that ran on WebX until this recent debacle.

Just because you don't know any such forums is no argument to allow them here now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, we have polls so we can check to see what most users really want. Statistics ftw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote: well, we have polls so we can check to see what most users really want. Statistics ftw

Doesn't matter. Adobe doesn't care about any polls we might start regarding user prefs.

They might say they do, but at this point, I will only believe they care when I start seeing a LOT of active dialogue and response from John C, et al, and then observe ideas many of us seem to want becoming manifest.

Until then, the faith I had is gone, kuput, vamoosed, done been shot hard in the arse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If people want a signature let them type it in each time.

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jay_Chevako wrote:

If people want a signature let them type it in each time.

Jay

I couldn't agree more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines