Another bug in the email software...

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out my post here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1896972#1896972

You will see a bunch of extra plus signs (before "appliedFont"). Those plus signs were not there in the email which I sent. Here's the original text copied from my sent mail (into the web interface).

You really shouldn't upload fonts for general download...

Your problem is that you are missing a lot of extra equal signs.

For example:
if (app.activeDocument.paragraphStyles.appliedFont = "Rotis Semi Sans\t45 Light")

should be:

if (app.activeDocument.paragraphStyles.appliedFont == "Rotis Semi Sans\t45 Light")

Also, I'm not sure that you are always going to get a string. It might be a font object. If that's the case you are going to need:

if (app.activeDocument.paragraphStyles.appliedFont == app.fonts.item("Rotis Semi Sans\t45 Light")

(Or something like that...)

BTW,

It'll be much quicker if you get a reference to your doc and font and work from there:

var doc = app.activeDocument;
var font = doc.paragraphStyles.appliedFont;

Any ideas where they could have come from?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it replaces the with +. Don't know why. Would you like it edited (with notation) to correct it, or let it go as is?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I guess an edit would help there for all the lurkers...

It looks to me that italic text comes through in email encased in plus signs (i.e. +italic text+). I guess the forum software interprets a bracketed i as a symbol to start italic -- and converts it to a plus sign. This is a very bad assumption -- especially on a scripting forum!

This needs to be fixed...

Harbs

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 19, 2009 Apr 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the forum software interprets a bracketed i as a symbol to start italic -- and converts it to a plus sign. This is a very bad assumption -- especially on a scripting forum!

Uh oh. That was a MAJOR problem over in the old FuseTalk Director forums (almost entirely about scripting). [ i ] without spaces was the FuseTalk way of saying italic, but it did not translate at all to or from the newsgroups. And that was only one of the problems with code in those groups.

In at least one of my emails, I was happy to notice that a forum-posted bold chunk was surrounded by old-school asterisks: *bold*. That really got my hopes up for seeing old-school *bold*, _underline_, and /italics/ indicators, but now I'm worried. I had checked all this stuff on the preview forums, but had NOT checked the emails back then.

[From your subsequent post]

Now for the obvious follow-up question:
How does one wrap text in a code block via email?

Would love to know this myself. Although, if the forum is going to munge code with italics & other stuff, I won't care at all.

--
Mark "Hopeful" Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm trying a test from email...

Okay. I guess an edit would help there for all the lurkers...

It looks to me that italic text comes through in email encased in plus

signs (i.e. italic text). I guess the forum software interprets a

bracketed i as a symbol to start italic -- and converts it to a plus

sign. This is a very bad assumption -- especially on a scripting forum!

This needs to be fixed...

Now, fr some bracketed "i"s... + test +

+

+

Harbs

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now for the obvious follow-up question:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 19, 2009 Apr 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Harbs. wrote on 2009-04-19 08:38 :

By wrapping it in [ code ]  [ / code ] sections. That does not stop the

forums from interpreting whatever is inside the code block as BBML

though, so you can still not post an array index [ i ] in your code.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines