• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Answered, but not answered?

Guide ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More and more lately, I have been coming across posts marked as answered (green icon), and yet, if you open the thread, no post is marked as a correct answer. Not very helpful to people (especially newcomers) with problems to solve.

An example thread is given below:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/883825?tstart=0

--OB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Before the reskinning last year, an option was presented (I believe only to moderators) to mark a discussion as "Assumed Answered".

What this did was make the thread show up as answered, without specifying which reply answered the question.

I believe this is one such thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some comments on the subject here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1163834?tstart=60

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really... That thread is about incorrect (or questionable) answers marked as correct. In this case the thread is marked as resolved (green icon) on the main page, but when you actually open the thread, no answer is shown as correct -- or often, even as helpful.

BTW; I have experienced this now in Firefox, Explorer and Chrome. So I doubt it is a browser issue.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OldBob1957 wrote:

Not really... That thread is about incorrect (or questionable) answers marked as correct. In this case the thread is marked as resolved (green icon) on the main page, but when you actually open the thread, no answer is shown as correct -- or often, even as helpful.

BTW; I have experienced this now in Firefox, Explorer and Chrome. So I doubt it is a browser issue.

--OB

.Nothing of that sort old boy.  I don't see that post as resolved.  See this picture:

2013-09-24_1434.png

[ insulting comments removed by moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe.Hacker wrote:

.Nothing of that sort old boy.  I don't see that post as resolved.  See this picture:

That's right. It is not.

BUT (if you read my ENTIRE post) on the MAIN PAGE it is marked as resolved (green icon -- see below).

MISSING LINK.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the thread is marked as Answered in that forum.

As far as I remember from earlier threads about the subject, the OP has the option of marking the question as answered without stating which answer(s) actually gave the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before the reskinning last year, an option was presented (I believe only to moderators) to mark a discussion as "Assumed Answered".

What this did was make the thread show up as answered, without specifying which reply answered the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carey Burgess wrote:

I have never seen this.  I agree that this could be useful in some cases, e.g. where the original poster finds an explanation for a problem, but does not really offer a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, "Assumed Answered" was around for a bit. I had forgotten about that possibility, until Carey jogged my memory. I would never have thought about that.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

Yes, "Assumed Answered" was around for a bit.

And where is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where is it?

In our memories, along with the fair forums, the nightmare forums, and some other stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

The question would be better as "and where WAS it?"

As Jacob states - in the past - now gone.

I think that it came with the original Jive implementation, and probably disappeared with the "re-skinning" process (what 2 years ago now?), as Carey mentions above.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carey Burgess wrote:

Mystery solved. Thank you.

At least it's not some funkiness in my browsers!

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the Assumed Answered festure is older than that:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2055536#2055536

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

That does show that the "Assumed Answered" choice was around in 2009, but, if I read Carey's statement correctly (yes, I have already had my second cup of coffee, but some mornings, I am not as sharp, as at other times), it "disappeared" with the re-skin project.

I recall it, but am only guessing, that it appeared with the early Jive implementation.

As for the mechanics of that button, I cannot comment. Your linked post seems to indicate that some thought it was automatically being invoked, while others refuted that, tracing the "Assumed Answered" award to MOD's/Hosts. I could not find a definitive answer to the question of "how/by whome?" in the discussion, so believe that it was left to speculation. In the absence of a MOD coming forth, and saying, "Oh, that was me. Just trying to be helpful... " we may never know.

Do you happen to recall when that "Assumed Answer" button disappeared? I cannot, but then had even forgotten about its existance, until Carey made mention of it. His statement that re-skinning did away with it, cannot be refuted, at least by me. It was sort of there one day, but not the next, and I do not remember what happened during the night (or two) in between.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OldBob, everyone,

Here is the proof, delivered by Claudio, that the OP could declare a thread/question answered, without stating which answer(s) actually gave the answer, as far back as 26th - 27th May 2009, less than two months after the days of the fair forums (see post #4):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1992850#1992850

http://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?resultTypes=&dateRange=all&peopleEnabled=true&q=I+have+anwered+m...

This other thread from 26th - 27th May 2009 shows that posts pointed out as Correst/Helpful were marked as such at the time, and are still:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1992958#1992958

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the ability of moderators/staff to mark threads as Assumed Answered seems to be about as old:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2055077#2055077

(Some names from the old days)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4055085#4055085

(And something to help someone remember, see posts #5 & 7 (& 8))

http://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?resultTypes=&dateRange=all&peopleEnabled=true&q=assumed+answered...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In conclusion, back then the forum page could show Answered with no posts marked as Correct, and it was possible to see in the OP (post) whether the OP (poster) or a host (as they were still called then) had set it: in the latter case, the OP (post) would say Assumed Answered, thereby also implying the more temporary nature of the setting and the possible overruling of it by the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jacob.

And another thank you to everyone who helped me figure this out.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, OldBob.

It is always nice to talk about the old days, with a twinge of sorrow, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines