• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Answered questions not answered?

Guide ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the following on both the Illustrator and Photoshop (Windows) forums:

Some threads that are marked as "Answered", both in the index, and at the top of the thread, will still say one correct and two helpful answers are available, and have no particular answer marked as correct. Sometimes, clicking back to the index and then going back will fix it, often not.

One such thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/703500?tstart=0

I am using Explorer 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP has the option to mark a thread "answered" even without giving out points. If they give out the "big ten", the thread is marked answered automatically.

If you care about the points, you can suggest to the OP to give them out...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. I forgot...

Make sure to give me those ten points, and you'll see for yourself!

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs. wrote:

Oh. I forgot...

Make sure to give me those ten points, and you'll see for yourself!

Harbs

I thought it might be something like that. And, sorry, I didn't mark this one as a question.

I really don't care about points, myself. It's just that, in threads (especially long ones) where I too would like to know the answer, it would be nice to be able to tell quickly which one was considered "correct".

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

There have been quite a few threads in this forum, especially shortly after the change, where it was shown rather convincingly that it is far certain that the best/right/most useful answer would be the one marked; one of the reasons is that the OP may mark the first answer that seems to work,  sometimes just the first answer, and then later on, a better answer is offered, or the OP finds out that the supposed answer did not work; in all such cases it is too late because point giving cannot be reversed.

And then there are cases where the OP finds the answer, sometimes even before anyone else has posted.

And ultimately, especially in some applcations such as Illustrator, there may be a number of ways to do things and therefore a number of right answers.

Further, when a thread is marked Answered, helpers may be less likely to open them at all, and the definitiveness of the marking may discourage further contributions.

All in all, the marking of threads/posts may form part of the reason that there are fewer lively, creative, long, and comprehensive, threads than in the days of the fair forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Bob,

There have been quite a few threads in this forum, especially shortly after the change, where it was shown rather convincingly that it is far certain that the best/right/most useful answer would be the one marked; one of the reasons is that the OP may mark the first answer that seems to work,  sometimes just the first answer, and then later on, a better answer is offered, or the OP finds out that the supposed answer did not work; in all such cases it is too late because point giving cannot be reversed.

And then there are cases where the OP finds the answer, sometimes even before anyone else has posted.

And ultimately, especially in some applcations such as Illustrator, there may be a number of ways to do things and therefore a number of right answers.

Further, when a thread is marked Answered, helpers may be less likely to open them at all, and the definitiveness of the marking may discourage further contributions.

All in all, the marking of threads/posts may form part of the reason that there are fewer lively, creative, long, and comprehensive, threads than in the days of the fair forums.

Jacob,

I do understand all that. And you will notice I did put "correct" in quotes up there; wrong "correct" answers being just one of the caveats of any user-to-user forum.

As to the wisdom of having things marked "Answered", or many other of the —um— features of the Jive forum software, there are any number of threads on those topics already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

I agree with you. Knowing the status of the thread can help others, when they find it in a Search. In the product fora, that I frequent, few of the "regulars" even bother to look at the status. If the thread has been updated, they read to see what has been added.

Sometimes a poster will pose a question initially, and that gets answered. As their Project and System info are already up-thread, they might ask a related product question, so there could well be more going on. Also, some will get a great sounding response, make all as answered, only to find that the solution posted, does not help them, or maybe they now require more clarification on implementing the solution.

As for the points, I've seen some odd things happen. A user will post a question, and the first response will be "you are too stupid to even own this software, let alone use it." Boom - that reply gets the Big 10! I've seen cases, where the first reply is the correct answer, but the OP will keep asking, and will receive, "see reply # 1." Everyone will add that. In time, the OP drops back by with a response along the lines of "hey, I found the answer on my own [same as was posted in reply # 1], so none of you dunces get the points! How do I award them to myself?"

There are also variations. OP lists a problem, and gets 5 different possible solutions. They then mark the thread as "Answered," but never post back with which solution worked for them. At least someone stumbling on that thread will have 5 possibilities to try.

Some pay zero attention to "Answered," or to points, and cannot be bothered.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines